A lack of passers | Syracusefan.com

A lack of passers

Eric15

Living Legend
This Syracuse team only has one player who averages more than 2 assists per game (Howard, obviously). I was curious as to how rare it is for an SU team to finish a season with that stat, and it's only happened one other time since 1970. Surprisingly, it was the 2014 team with Ennis.

Tyus has been fantastic this year, but I would like to see him try and move the ball around a bit more, especially on fast breaks where he almost always barrels forward instead of dishing to an open man. We're currently 264th in the nation in team assists.

This Syracuse team only has one player who averages more than 2 assists per game (Howard, obviously). I was curious as to how rare it is for an SU team to finish a season with that stat, and it's only happened one other time since 1970. Surprisingly, it was the 2014 team with Ennis.

Tyus has been fantastic this year, but I would like to see him try and move the ball around a bit more, especially on fast breaks where he almost always barrels forward instead of dishing to an open man. We're currently 264th in the nation in team assists.

If JB gives in and goes with the 3-guard lineup, you will see Washington get in that range. He had three opportunities last night. Got one to Frank, sent the prettiest pass to Chukwu who got fouled on his attempt, and threw a terrible pass to the feet of Pascal that didn't work. But they were all the right basketball play. For a guy who many here consider not ready, HW does not look anything but poised and ready out there. He makes some silly mistakes, like touching that ball as it was going out of bounds, but i think he can play.

But you are absolutely correct about Battle. The one drive where he had Marek trailing him should have been an alley oop to MD to light up the dome.

Interesting. Not a real surprise to me. Yes, we have had quite a few SG/SF lately who can’t create for others. Especially the times like last year or with Cooney. With how the game is shifting towards smaller ball/positionless/interchangeable parts ball; you see the need for those guys. Especially playing smaller ball or heavy guard lineups you need that ability.

There would be a lot more dimes if somebody could finish. Too many blown bunnies.
eh this has nothing to do with Tyus' seeming inability to look for others when he has the ball - I'd guess maybe 1 of those many missed bunnies came off a pass from Tyus

eh this has nothing to do with Tyus' seeming inability to look for others when he has the ball - I'd guess maybe 1 of those many missed bunnies came off a pass from Tyus

This season...

maybe we could bring in baye keita or rakeem christmas to work with our point guards...
(since we already have point guards coaching our centers)

so a 7 footer coaching guards is seemingly ridiculous. but not vice versa . explain.

The one drive where he had Marek trailing him should have been an alley oop to MD to light up the dome.
MD would’ve rode pine for even attempting to complete the lob.
#knowyourrole

Pretty amazing that Frank is 22nd in the country but as a team we’re 264th.

Marek is our best passer
Franks our best passer. Marek’s had a few great dishes down low to chukwu/moyer and to the corner for frank or oshae. Would like to see him a tyus more consistently find the open man, theres always 1 as tyus and frank are often doubled

so a 7 footer coaching guards is seemingly ridiculous. but not vice versa . explain.
Who said that? If you can coach, you can coach. If you know basketball, you know basketball.

If you are so invested in this, why don't you study all 351 D1 teams and let us know how many have former centers coaching their big men. I'll spot you Syracuse. A former guard whose name you probably know.
upload_2017-12-28_18-59-48.gif

Who said that? If you can coach, you can coach. If you know basketball, you know basketball.

If you are so invested in this, why don't you study all 351 D1 teams and let us know how many have former centers coaching their big men. I'll spot you Syracuse. A former guard whose name you probably know. View attachment 118531

Well, we utilize our assistants uniquely with each of them coaching a particular position group. That is not typical.

Well, we utilize our assistants uniquely with each of them coaching a particular position group. That is not typical.

How do other schools typically handle? I didn't realize that was unique.

The offense is too stationary, and the fact we only have one player with >2apg highlights this fact. I'd like to see us work the ball into the high post to Dolezaj or Brissett more often. I think that would open up Frank and Tyus to do more off the ball rather than relying on them to create for themselves off the dribble or off weak screens.

How do other schools typically handle? I didn't realize that was unique.

The assistants don't usually have specific position groups. Yes, teams might have guys who work more with the bigs or the guards but it's not usually broken up like we do it with assistants assigned.

BF coached our bigs for many, many years. He wasn't a big and was a highly respected coach at that position.

BF coached our bigs for many, many years. He wasn't a big and was a highly respected coach at that position.

Well BF wasn't a big vertically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom