Class of 2015 - A Little Nugget | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 A Little Nugget

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I spent some time with Coach Lester yesterday and we were talking about this torrid recruiting pace. He was talking about the stark contrast to last year in terms of where they are and how the approach changes.

He said last year we had 4 or 5 guys at this point and you're trying to figure out where the rest of your guys are in terms of interest in you. This year it's all about hanging onto what you've got, closing out and getting the jump on '16. (Which the jump on '16 is going very well right now, expect some earlier than usual.)

That being said, they're expecting heavy competition on a lot of their commits. I asked him how he felt about hanging onto the guys, he said, get back to me in February man and laughed. Then said I think we kept 4 of 5 early commits last year, I couldn't remember who we lost at first, but, then it hit me, Cabinda.

Saw a couple of the young guys come in, exciting stuff.

Also was there when Coach Gould and Daoust found out about the Sterling Hofrichter commit, these guys are confident in what's happening right now.

At least 45 workers on site at the IPF location. Getting ready for footers. Just a matter of how long construction takes now.

A lot of cool stuff and interaction with the coaches, all phenomenal guys... I wish all the success in the world to them. If this staff can't do it with their work ethic and character, I'd be disappointed.

Thanks for sharing. Cool tidbit! It can't be said enough how much positive energy and what effort these coaches seem to be going through to get solid young players and men.

Yes, stark contrast.

Did Coach Lester comment on why? We can speculate. Helps that the assistants brought in last year had more time to work on the 2015 class. Adams and Acosta are better recruiters than the guys they replaced. Successful first year in ACC. Shafer & team building confidence. Bowl wins to talk about. Momentum. Something else? Change in approach?

Thanks for sharing. Timmy Daoust and Lester are great guys.

Yes, stark contrast.

Did Coach Lester comment on why? We can speculate. Helps that the assistants brought in last year had more time to work on the 2015 class. Adams and Acosta are better recruiters than the guys they replaced. Successful first year in ACC. Shafer & team building confidence. Bowl wins to talk about. Momentum. Something else? Change in approach?

I'm sure all of the reasons you've listed come into account. You know, each situation is unique in its circumstances. I'd be willing to bet all of that and more is a factor, depending on the situation.

But, for the most part we don't spend a ton of time talking about it. This is a team camp where they're gracious enough to spend time helping us coach our kids. This camp is something Coach Shafer has brought with him from past stops to give "Spring" football to upstate New York.

State laws don't allow us practices, but camps like these do give us that opportunity. Not only that, but, S.U.'s camp is one of if not the most affordable of the local team camps. The entire SU Coaching staff is there to assist you however possible. You really cannot beat it if you're a local high school coach.

Sure we talk about Syracuse, and what they're dealing with/doing. But for the most part it's about the high schools.

I spent some time with Coach Lester yesterday and we were talking about this torrid recruiting pace. He was talking about the stark contrast to last year in terms of where they are and how the approach changes.

He said last year we had 4 or 5 guys at this point and you're trying to figure out where the rest of your guys are in terms of interest in you. This year it's all about hanging onto what you've got, closing out and getting the jump on '16. (Which the jump on '16 is going very well right now, expect some earlier than usual.)

That being said, they're expecting heavy competition on a lot of their commits. I asked him how he felt about hanging onto the guys, he said, get back to me in February man and laughed. Then said I think we kept 4 of 5 early commits last year, I couldn't remember who we lost at first, but, then it hit me, Cabinda.

Saw a couple of the young guys come in, exciting stuff.

Also was there when Coach Gould and Daoust found out about the Sterling Hofrichter commit, these guys are confident in what's happening right now.

At least 45 workers on site at the IPF location. Getting ready for footers. Just a matter of how long construction takes now.

A lot of cool stuff and interaction with the coaches, all phenomenal guys... I wish all the success in the world to them. If this staff can't do it with their work ethic and character, I'd be disappointed.

Taking a quick look at some of the other schools in the conference this seems to be the trend in recruiting, to get the current class completed as soon as possible. Currently BC has 20 commits and Duke received 11 commits just in the month of June. Then there is Miami who already has 3 commits for 2016.

I also am impressed with the fact that the staff is already bringing in 2016s an 2017s to visit and would love to see an early commitment from a 2016.

The Dead Period starts up again next week for two weeks and from what I heard the staff is taking a well earned vacation. Hopefully there is one more commitment before the weekend is over.

Taking a quick look at some of the other schools in the conference this seems to be the trend in recruiting, to get the current class completed as soon as possible. Currently BC has 20 commits and Duke received 11 commits just in the month of June. Then there is Miami who already has 3 commits for 2016.

I also am impressed with the fact that the staff is already bringing in 2016s an 2017s to visit and would love to see an early commitment from a 2016.

The Dead Period starts up again next week for two weeks and from what I heard the staff is taking a well earned vacation. Hopefully there is one more commitment before the weekend is over.

You got it, starting Monday they get 2 weeks. And, as you said, they'll be taking a well-deserved vacation.

I was thinking you jumped into the St. Lawrence on a hot day with that title Finwad.

Relationships are huge and I really love what this staff is doing and the better the talent the more the fight to signing day. It just seems amazing to even think you could have asked him about 2016...times, they are a changin.

I was thinking you jumped into the St. Lawrence on a hot day with that title Finwad.

Relationships are huge and I really love what this staff is doing and the better the talent the more the fight to signing day. It just seems amazing to even think you could have asked him about 2016...times, they are a changin.

A) I lol'd

B) it's funny you bring that up because we spoke specifically about how much recruiting has changed. More specifically how fast it happened. One thing that stuck out, he said if you're not onto 2016 yet, you're way behind in the game. He said I've got a kid here that's a high school sophomore that we're trying to get a leg up on, 5 years ago that woulda been crazy (paraphrased).

The St. of L can be dang cold right now!

Yeah, the kids keep posting about first schools in contact and they were there from the beginning and since SU football wise isn't a selector school they have to be a leg up on other schools that are and identify quickly and correctly.

The St. of L can be dang cold right now!

Yeah, the kids keep posting about first schools in contact and they were there from the beginning and since SU football wise isn't a selector school they have to be a leg up on other schools that are and identify quickly and correctly.

Not at the tic toc it's always hot there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom