A lot of empty seats at the g-town game tonight | Syracusefan.com

A lot of empty seats at the g-town game tonight

dasher

Living Legend
you do have to wonder how many more years that JT3 can just keep losing.

you do have to wonder how many more years that JT3 can just keep losing.

People in DC stayed home to watch last night's Caps/Kings replay. All good for JT cubed.

They don't draw unless we're coming to town. They're quickly becoming a mid-major. It won't be long until they're in the "Houston used to be good in college basketball?" lane.

Georgetown isn't a basketball school; not like Villanova, St. John's, or Providence who have many decades of tradition. The Thompsons are the aberration there. Once JTIII is gone, G'town may be headed back to where Emerick took them.

I don't recall them ever being full unless there was a sea of Orange when we played them.

GU has no fan base to speak of.

It's a smallish, academically-elite school and a majority of its students are from outside the DC area, and that's where the alumni live.

In the 1980's they had a lot local interest because they were the de-facto the National Black school. But that interest has faded.

They advertise like mad, but still play in a half empty facility.

They just don't have any fans.

Why SU gives them a game so they can have a sell-out s a mystery for me

It's a smallish, academically-elite school and a majority of its students are from outside the DC area, and that's where the alumni live.

In the 1980's they had a lot local interest because they were the de-facto the National Black school. But that interest has faded.

They've got engaged alumni (and do a good job engaging them, giving them steeply discounted tickets in the first bowl for something like 5 years after graduation) but there are way too few of them.

It's like the SU football problem, only exponentially worse in terms of alumni numbers. A lot of older locals left the fold with Big John and casual hoops fans don't want to go watch a team that's not winning.

I wonder if the school will ever push to be an Ivy? It's academically right there, they don't have a high-level football team, and their basketball program will be Ivy-level in no time. They might even be able to win that league a few times.

I wonder if the school will ever push to be an Ivy? It's academically right there, they don't have a high-level football team, and their basketball program will be Ivy-level in no time. They might even be able to win that league a few times.
I don't think the Ivies will be expanding their ranks for the sake of adding a team for men's basketball...

SU is still in the bad habit of dating former conference mates. It's a Super Bowl for those schools and I guess the older guard SU fan likes them but our paths really have diverged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom