ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney

[quotif he tweaks="IthacaBarrel, post: 983385, member: 363"]3 years out of 20... Like I said, it isn't what it use to be and again, we were on the bubble in 2006 for sure. All the reason to play. And yes I am dead serious, there is a lot of good that can come from losing to NC St tonight, IMO. It's clear that without Grant we aren't going anywhere, what if he tweaks his back tomorrow night? Like I said, it's a Popovich type of outlook and last I checked he knew a thing or two about winning and coaching.
what if he tweaks it in the 1ST round of NCAA against some 15 seed. Didn't need him them.[/quote]

What if?

Definitely a start. MSG should be the ultimate plan, the destination that the ACC actually ends up with. But Brooklyn isn't a bad second option considering the circumstances.

Even in a good year, what is the BET going to look like now? Villanova, St Johns, Georgetown and Marquette? Still not good enough. That lawyer certainly earned his money for the BE.

Disagree Northern Virginia, Bethesda, MD, Washington D.C. areas have lots of transplant from ACC schools, and the arena would sell out more easily with Syracuse, North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Notre Dame, Pitt, Miami(fl), Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and other ACC school alumni in Washington than in Indy or Pitt.

Indy will always be B1G country, and while Pittsburgh is probably somewhat ACC country now with the Panthers in the conference Washington D.C. is the better midpoint spot plus it tweaks Maryland and that is a great cherry on top.

Maybe 50% of the fans would be from Louisville, but I think Indy would sell out.

I live in Maryland, and I would go to Pittsburgh for sure. Much easier to drive to than Greensboro or NYC.

Besides no local schools, DC also has one other major negative: I-95.

Maybe 50% of the fans would be from Louisville, but I think Indy would sell out.

I live in Maryland, and I would go to Pittsburgh for sure. Much easier to drive to than Greensboro or NYC.

Besides no local schools, DC also has one other major negative: I-95.
Yeah, I mean Pitt is a reasonable spot since its got an ACC team as an anchor their and its drivable for people from Northeast, NC area/Clemson, and its a short flight for Georgia Tech/FSU/Miami group.

I think Pittsburgh could be given a bone, but Indianapolis seems to Midwestern for me. You would have Louisville/Notre Dame and maybe Pittsburgh in driving distance and then everyone else would fly. Plus, I don't know if the Indy locals would watch out of curiosity. I think it needs to stay in the Eastern time zone rotated among NYC/Washington D.C./Greensboro/Atlanta.

Who cares if Maryland is in the Big Ten. DC is the most logical location geographically, it has large alumni bases for a good amount of the teams, and it would piss off Maryland and the B1G.
Yep - this. The ACC doesn't have a team 'technically' in NYC (although we are New York's College Team ®) and yet the ACCT will be played there. And it would be sweet to watch GT and MD fans crying about it.

Not for anything, but if the Big East used Proskauer Rose they used what is probably the top law firm in the country and that contract is probably ironclad. David Stern was a partner at Proskauer Rose before taking over at the NBA. Taking Sports Law its the top sports law firm of all time. I haven't heard of the Leccese cat though he probably paid/gave some info to have him name dropped.
Knowing several people with connections to Covington, I Googled "best sports law firms" and they're ranked no. 1 for 2014 by Best Lawyers/US News: http://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/sports-law. They're the NFL's main firm (and where Tagliabue came from and returned to).

This is actually very interesting. All we've been hearing about is how MSG had an attendance clause and/or some other out of the BE contract. Now, from Thamel's article above:

The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East.

Maybe if the Providence mafia had put the same effort in saving the conference that they have in locking down MSG for a decade, the conference wouldn't be the abortion it is today.

NC State fans are hilarious. This is why the tournament in Brooklyn is awesome. There are so many wrongheaded Brooklyn stereotypes. Barclay's isn't in Williamsburg or one of the douchier parts of Brooklyn and I'm pretty sure you can get more than PBR and vegan food.

• hungrywolf03
  • http://media.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./media/forums/scout2/subscriberbadge.gif
  • Like A Virgin
  • 4423 posts this site
Posted: Today 9:31 AM

Re: ACC Tourney heading to Brooklyn?

CardiacPackAttack wrote:
Great. Yankee thugs and hipsters.

Instead of Stamey's, we get raw food bistros and bicycle shops.

It will definitely be the weirdest tournament scene on record. It just doesnt fit or make sense. Ive had fantastic times in Brooklyn but it just doesnt fit with ACC basketball. Instead of cheap cold beer and BBQ on a sunny day, you are going to get vegan food and $6 PBRs.

The problem is that the ACC isn't going to go to MSG every year. Not sure I see MSG kicking out the Big East just in order to get in a rotation that brings the ACC Tournament to town once every five years.

By the time the ACC is in serious discussions with MSG for after 2026, it's likely that the rotation to Greensboro will be dead...

It's actually a good thing to ween this off after the next few years.

Our tobacco road brethren won't want to hear that, but ultimately, it will come down to exposure, TV and $$$ - as it always does... and MSG every year has to be the the brass ring.

Not to mention, another opportunity to kick the old Big East/AAC in the nards... which Swofford seems to enjoy and excel at... It would be the ultimate turf war coup.

Last edited:
Knowing several people with connections to Covington, I Googled "best sports law firms" and they're ranked no. 1 for 2014 by Best Lawyers/US News: http://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/sports-law. They're the NFL's main firm (and where Tagliabue came from and returned to).
US News &World is a great magazine so I respect them putting Covington #1, but I think the best sports law firm is Proskauer. I will disclose I interned at Proskauer in Boston while I was in law school so that be my bias, but I think they are number 1.

This is actually very interesting. All we've been hearing about is how MSG had an attendance clause and/or some other out of the BE contract. Now, from Thamel's article above:

The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East.
If true just proves again what an idiot James Dolan is. If the ACC goes to Barclay's it will suck all the oxygen out of the BET.

Maybe if the Providence mafia had put the same effort in saving the conference that they have in locking down MSG for a decade, the conference wouldn't be the abortion it is today.

Brace yourself...BE HQ is now in NYC. In fact, it has space in the Proskauer Rose offices. So they finally made the move but not until after we left.

As to where the ACCT should be held: NYC and DC. That's it. NYC for the northern teams and DC for the southern. No need for a Charlotte or Atlanta in the rotation. Charlotte is firmly ACC country and Atlanta is SEC territory. We want to make the case to the B1G and the nation that NYC and DC belongs to the ACC. No better way than to have your tourney take over the town for a week.

From Thamel's piece:

The ACC's move to New York has been viewed within the conference as inevitable, as it's expected that the league will rotate through New York and North Carolina locations after 2017. (Maryland's departure to the Big Ten makes Washington D.C. a less natural place to hold the tournament.)
Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville would sell out the Verizon Center by themselves. The ACC doesn't need Maryland to make DC viable.

Without the orange goggles why would MSG want to end the big east relationship. The tournement will be 100% sold out, by requiring each school to buy x tickets.
If actual bodies in seats are down presumably concession income would be down. Trade a decade of sell outs for a one in four or five rotation. Tobacco road is'nt
going to allow a long term deal with thw North. Economics rule.

Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville would sell out the Verizon Center by themselves. The ACC doesn't need Maryland to make DC viable.

F-that dirty, squalid Hoya homebase venue...

Without the orange goggles why would MSG want to end the big east relationship. The tournement will be 100% sold out, by requiring each school to buy x tickets.
If actual bodies in seats are down presumably concession income would be down. Trade a decade of sell outs for a one in four or five rotation. Tobacco road is'nt
MSG wasn't soldout this year. Only a couple of teams bought all of their maximum seats available. Watch tonight when Seton Hall vs. Providence, and Creighton vs. Xavier are playing. I would bet their will be 8-10k in an arena which holds 20k. It will be embarrassing for BE. Dolan wants $$$ he doesn't care if its the ACC, B1G, or BE he wants bodies in the seats so he makes more $$$.

MSG wasn't soldout this year. Only a couple of teams bought all of their maximum seats available. Watch tonight when Seton Hall vs. Providence, and Creighton vs. Xavier are playing. I would bet their will be 8-10k in an arena which holds 20k. It will be embarrassing for BE. Dolan wants $$$ he doesn't care if its the ACC, B1G, or BE he wants bodies in the seats so he makes more $$$.

Easy fix. Have the conference require the purchase. MSG is not that big.

Easy fix. Have the conference require the purchase. MSG is not that big.
So then if your MSG and you jack up the price for the tickets if your guaranteed that the conference will require them to be purchased.

Big East won't force the teams to purchase tickets, but will hope that the 10 schools together can scrap a good amount of tickets sold to satisfy MSG.

Its not easy. The Big East Tournament was always filled for the quarterfinals, semifinals, and Championship game. Now unless Villanova, Georgetown, or St. John's are involved it will be a mausoleum for the semi-finals and championship like tonight and tomorrow night.

You're incorrectly assuming that Georgetown has enough fans to make it a legitimate home court.

Only when they refuse to sell us tickets... scum of the earth, they are.

You can get BET semifinal tickets tonight on Ticketmaster. Think about that for a second. Economics do indeed rule. And its the reason the ACCT will ultimately end up at the Garden.

Brace yourself...BE HQ is now in NYC. In fact, it has space in the Proskauer Rose offices. So they finally made the move but not until after we left.

As to where the ACCT should be held: NYC and DC. That's it. NYC for the northern teams and DC for the southern. No need for a Charlotte or Atlanta in the rotation. Charlotte is firmly ACC country and Atlanta is SEC territory. We want to make the case to the B1G and the nation that NYC and DC belongs to the ACC. No better way than to have your tourney take over the town for a week.
Just wanted to point out that there is an ACC school actually in Atlanta but no SEC school. Rotation makes the most sense for the conference as a whole. Going full time to MSG makes sense only to SU fans. We need to realize that we joined a conference with a long history that has nothing to do with NYC. You get just as many fans and just as just as high TV ratings playing a rotation. Very few fans watching a college basketball game on TV could give a ratsass what arena it is being played in or what city it is being played in.

Only when they refuse to sell us tickets... scum of the earth, they are.

And even then, they still can't keep us out of occupying over 40% of their arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom