ACC Football Schedule Model Release | 6 PM | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Football Schedule Model Release | 6 PM

This is a fun thread. Got my mind off the present disaster for a little while with a hopeful look to the future.
Lots of quirks in this. One that jumped out to me--Louisville has no "protected" opponents, but they play the NE 3 (SU, BC, Pitt) 5 times each.

Addendum: Miami has the most balanced schedule--7 times vs. FSU and VT, and 3 vs everybody else. Cal and Stanford got the same deal, but that's likely because of their travel disadvantage.

Last edited:
F9uTGeMXUAAwlkm
Not good when you fail so badly with so many teams.

Seems like the problems center on UL, the only school with no rivals. Their schedule is extremely unbalanced. They play 4 schools 5 times in 7 years.

I get that with no rivals, everyone has to play with more than other non-rival schools. But hthey have 2 schools they only play 2 times in 7 years.

I guess it is just a coincidence that BC, Pitt and Syracuse are three of the schools that have to play them so often. Poor GT even got boned. Guess they had to pay the price for not being an original member as well.

I hope they even this out with the next 7 years of the schedule. They won‘t though.

seems like we caught a few scheduling breaks here...especially considering tobacco road is always out to screw us over :)
Absolutely. Losing the annual FSU game is huge. I also kind of like the BC and Pitt annual games both either being at home or on the road.

Next year is a really good time to turn the program over to someone new and younger.

Seems like the problems center on UL, the only school with no rivals. Their schedule is extremely unbalanced. They play 4 schools 5 times in 7 years.

I get that with no rivals, everyone has to play with more than other non-rival schools. But hthey have 2 schools they only play 2 times in 7 years.

I guess it is just a coincidence that BC, Pitt and Syracuse are three of the schools that have to play them so often. Poor GT even got boned. Guess they had to pay the price for not being an original member as well.

I hope they even this out with the next 7 years of the schedule. They won‘t though.
Georgia tech has no protected rivals either

Unfortunately this schedule screams to me that no one making the decisions in the league wants to play us. NC schools all only 2 games we get the absolute minimum for all of them. I can live with that scheduling quirk it will be weird to never see NC State or Wake Forest.

Pitt and BC every year and then get forced to take the Louisville max since no one wants them. Of course get an extra SMU game because everyone else wants the easy Cal/Stanford wins.

I believe every school we think of as an ACC school that isn't in North Carolina is the normal 3/7 years save GT who we play 4 times. That part of the schedule is good.

They could have put Louisville with Pitt (instead of BC) and/or GA Tech. Somehow UVA was able to dump them.

Some schools got their way others got dumped on. Fairest thing was the 2 perms and play the rest based on location. But life ain’t fair.

Pitt and BC every year and then get forced to take the Louisville max since no one wants them. Of course get an extra SMU game because everyone else wants the easy Cal/Stanford wins.
You're right. The NC schools DESPERATELY wanted to play the CA schools over Syracuse (and our pals BC/Pitt/UL and our new pal GT) even though UNC really didn't want to vote to expand to add the CA schools.

Louisville in 5 consecutive years (out of 7)? And they're not our rival?
We'll play more in GA and TX and less in NC than under the current system. I'm OK w/ reducing games vs NC schools, but really don't like playing Louisville so much and the CA schools so little.

I think it came down to, NOBODY wanted to be permanent with Louisville.

Does anyone still think the B1G wants to target Ga Tech for expansion?

I will say, after experiencing the rotating schedules of this year, I'm glad SU does have some continuity with 2 permanent rivals at least. UL's schedule is not fan friendly at all.

Last edited:
According to an ESPN piece, the ACC essentially created four, loose scheduling pods. The new schools, the northeast (which includes Louisville), the mid Atlantic, and the deeper South.

Schools within those loose groupings play each other more than the others.

You're right. The NC schools DESPERATELY wanted to play the CA schools over Syracuse (and our pals BC/Pitt/UL and our new pal GT) even though UNC really didn't want to vote to expand to add the CA schools.

You don't think they have more pull in determining the schedules and sort of said 'no thanks' to the northern former BE schools us in particular?

I don't think it was because they think they can't beat us either just that to them we are a G5 opponent no upside with a win. Our recent record is actually OK vs UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake compared to the rest of the ACC since joining.

I just went to the Cal USC game on Saturday. Cannot overstate how beautiful the campus is with all the redwoods, streams and hills. Beautiful stadium as well on the very top of the hill, cannot wait to return next fall!View attachment 232753
Love that campus, we toured it when my daughter was looking at schools 5 years ago. San Diego State is great and saved us a lot of money but man was Cal(and UC Santa Barbara) awesome

Is it still a done deal that we’re playing ND in 2025? The ESPN piece said that ND’s ACC games would be released at a later date.

Maybe we’ll be fortunate and move that game to another year.
Not a done deal. Here’s hoping we replace them with some stiff

Is it still a done deal that we’re playing ND in 2025? The ESPN piece said that ND’s ACC games would be released at a later date.

Maybe we’ll be fortunate and move that game to another year.

I would assume that ND's whole 12 year plan from 2026-37 will have to be modified to include the newbies.

Of course, we could also lose 2 of the 3 remaining Army games, depending on how they work things out.

Lot of cards left to be dealt.

The two Cali schools play everybody (except each other and SMU) 3 times over the next 7 years. That's one advantage Tobacco Road didn't get.

Not according to ESPN:

[In coming up with the new scheduling model, athletic directors from each school collaborated with the league to help determine the matchups they wanted to protect. Ultimately, the league ADs approved the new scheduling model. In the case of Georgia Tech and Louisville, both schools agreed they did not need any games protected, and that allowed the league more creativity and flexibility in arranging the entire schedule.

"I was vocal to the conference office that we don't have a true rival in the ACC, so we can be more flexible with trying to put a schedule together," Louisville athletic director Josh Heird told ESPN. "What are the tried-and-true rivals we have to keep together? Viewership drives some of these matchups. But all in all, I think everybody is pretty happy -- as happy as you can be trying to accommodate 17 different wants and needs."]

And that's the rest of the story ...

According to an ESPN piece, the ACC essentially created four, loose scheduling pods. The new schools, the northeast (which includes Louisville), the mid Atlantic, and the deeper South.

Correct! According again to ESPN:
[With the league now spanning the East Coast to the West Coast, geography was taken into consideration in this new model. The league wanted to minimize the number of repeat trips to the same geographic region in the same season, and maximize the percentage of games against teams within close proximity.

For example, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami play each other in 24% of their games between 2024 and 2030. Boston College, Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse will have 32% of their games against one another. The Carolina and Virginia schools also will play each other more frequently.]

Based on location Louisville should be playing GA Tech, the VA schools, and Carolina schools more often than SU. UVA went from a yearly Louisville game to only playing them 3x. That is just luck, or did they push for that?

We will need to play Florida G5s OOC now to make up for only having 2 games in 7 years when we used to have 3-4 games in 6 years with divisions and 3 games in 4 years under the prior model.

Florida road games by team:

5x in 7: Clemson, VA Tech
4x: BC, Wake
3x: Cal, Duke, GA Tech, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Stanford, UNC, UVA
2x: SMU, SU

How does that happen? BC/Wake should only be getting 3 games and SMU/SU should be getting a 3rd game. We go 3 straight years without a Florida game. Also GA Tech got screwed as two of their Florida games are in the same season. So they get ONE Florida game the other 6 seasons combined. It is the ACC leadership's job to pay attention to the details. Even when they do not, it is all the ADs responsibility to catch this stuff. How does this happen?

Based on location Louisville should be playing GA Tech, the VA schools, and Carolina schools more often than SU. UVA went from a yearly Louisville game to only playing them 3x. That is just luck, or did they push for that?
No one wants to play Louisville it seems. They don't have any permanent rivals, and seem quite fine with it.

Not according to ESPN:

[In coming up with the new scheduling model, athletic directors from each school collaborated with the league to help determine the matchups they wanted to protect. Ultimately, the league ADs approved the new scheduling model. In the case of Georgia Tech and Louisville, both schools agreed they did not need any games protected, and that allowed the league more creativity and flexibility in arranging the entire schedule.

"I was vocal to the conference office that we don't have a true rival in the ACC, so we can be more flexible with trying to put a schedule together," Louisville athletic director Josh Heird told ESPN. "What are the tried-and-true rivals we have to keep together? Viewership drives some of these matchups. But all in all, I think everybody is pretty happy -- as happy as you can be trying to accommodate 17 different wants and needs."]

And that's the rest of the story ...
Everyone is aware UL has no rivals. That was discussed weeks ago in the David Teel article. Old news.

And it is no excuse for screwing up schedule balancing so badly with this model.

They were supposed to account for the rivalries and then take the rest of the ACC schools and try and play them all an equal number of times.

If you need at some ACC schools, the schedule does exactly that. SMU, Cal, Stanford have 7 games against each other and play everyone else 3 times. That is wonderful. Great job ACC.

We play the North Carolina schools 2 times in 7 years. And we play Louisville 5 times in 7 years.

The same applies to BC and Pitt.

I would be fine with playing some non-rival schools 3 times and some 4. 5 vs 2 is too extreme. Major fail. Playing 4 conference schools once at home in seven years put us back in the days of the original awful schedule model.

The bottom line is that the ACC gave the schools in NC preferential treatment. Shame on them.

F9uTGeMXUAAwlkm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom