ACC Going to 9 Games for Football? | Syracusefan.com

ACC Going to 9 Games for Football?

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Looks like the coming ACC Network may lead to 9 ACC conference games per season. This would, among other things, help solve the scheduling woes of the troubled SU Athletic Department.

Also, this article marks the first time I have seen a suggestion that ACC schools might stop playing FCS opponents OOC...

Nine-game conference football schedule possible for ACC (dailypress.com; Teel)

As the ACC and ESPN envision the technology, finances and scope of their future partnership, one word or concept is central:

Inventory.

The ACC needs more revenue from its media rightsholder, and in exchange, ESPN surely is requesting more inventory.

Specifically, games. More specifically, football games. Conference football games.

Remember the parameters of the nine-game league schedule ACC schools adopted in 2012, only to shelve eight months later? Time to unearth that file.

Indeed, nine games are quite possible if, as expected, the ACC and ESPN agree by year's end to broaden the league’s exposure through traditional (cable) and progressive (online streaming) means.

So basketball would go to 20 conference games for more Duke-Syracuse type games and football would go to 9 conference games for more Florida State-Virginia Tech type games.

The problem with 9 conference games is Clemson and Florida State needing 7 annual home games.
They play 9 ACC games, Florida/South Carolina that would be 10 games and basically require the other 2 games every be home games. With the games against Notre Dame as well it would restrict their ability to schedule other teams.

Those 2 teams would need something to get 9 conference games. The conference network money may be the carrot to get them to agree to it.

So basketball would go to 20 conference games for more Duke-Syracuse type games and football would go to 9 conference games for more Florida State-Virginia Tech type games.

The problem with 9 conference games is Clemson and Florida State needing 7 annual home games.
They play 9 ACC games, Florida/South Carolina that would be 10 games and basically require the other 2 games every be home games. With the games against Notre Dame as well it would restrict their ability to schedule other teams.

Those 2 teams would need something to get 9 conference games. The conference network money may be the carrot to get them to agree to it.

I think they're bigger stink will be the part about restricting the schedule for interesting games. Maybe they throw the 7th home game in there as part of it. But Clemson can't go out and schedule Auburn or Georgia in some years, and FSU can't schedule Oklahoma or some of the others they've been doing. There's too little room for error with 9 game conf schedule. Especially as the bottom of the ACC continues to invest to put better teams on the field. It's not like getting a Rutgers or Temple in the old Big East.

And yes, the ND arrangement further complicates that. 9 conf games, ND, in-state, then only one cupcake. Playoff runs get that much harder. (I know, boo hoo).

Of course, if the promise of $$$ is enough, anything will work.

First of all, I think this continues to be a slap in the face. ACC has been in the football championship game 2 of the last 3 years. They have the largest TV footprint of any conference. Don't tell me no one is watching. Bull _____. No other conference is being asked to do this to get more money.

However, I think I do like the idea of 9 conference games. But I like the idea of a 3-5-5 even better

Orijinal said:
First of all, I think this continues to be a slap in the face. ACC has been in the football championship game 2 of the last 3 years. They have the largest TV footprint of any conference. Don't tell me no one is watching. Bull _____. No other conference is being asked to do this to get more money. However, I think I do like the idea of 9 conference games. But I like the idea of a 3-5-5 even better

Everyone else IS doing this for more money (except the $EC).

I agree on it being a good idea. Esp with our scheduling issues.

Everyone else IS doing this for more money (except the $EC).

I agree on it being a good idea. Esp with our scheduling issues.

I think it's great for us.

I think for some of the factories that play traditional OOC in-state rivals (should SEC also go to 9 games), I think it leads to the 13 game schedule.

Speaking of in state OOC, I really wish Texas and Texas A&M would get over their issues and join the Florida/Florida State, Clemson/South Carolina, Georgia/Georgia Tech fun. I miss that game on Thanksgiving weekend, especially when it was a nice 11 am start to that Friday morning.

Speaking of OOC, when the hell are we adding a 3rd FBS game for 2017?? clock is ticking, it should have been done already

Sign me up for the 9 game conference schedule.

ACC won't stop playing FCS unless the other P5 conferences do the same. No way the SEC will ever stop. Otherwise, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

To "sell" FSU and Clemson on the 9 game schedule probably means they will need to be guaranteed two annual games against Coastal teams, instead of the one. Which means likely VT or Miami (in addition to GT) for Clemson and GT (in addition to Miami) for FSU.

The NC schools will all play each annually because it is their conference (or so it seems), leaving us likely getting UVA with Pitt as our two, Louisville with whichever of Miami or VT that Clemson doesn't get with UVa and BC with Pitt and VT. Then instead of taking 12 years to cycle through six teams in the Coastal, it will take us ten years to cycle through five. Not getting too excited by this news at the moment.

Cheers,
Neil

To "sell" FSU and Clemson on the 9 game schedule probably means they will need to be guaranteed two annual games against Coastal teams, instead of the one. Which means likely VT or Miami (in addition to GT) for Clemson and GT (in addition to Miami) for FSU.

The NC schools will all play each annually because it is their conference (or so it seems), leaving us likely getting UVA with Pitt as our two, Louisville with whichever of Miami or VT that Clemson doesn't get with UVa and BC with Pitt and VT. Then instead of taking 12 years to cycle through six teams in the Coastal, it will take us ten years to cycle through five. Not getting too excited by this news at the moment.

Cheers,
Neil
If the conference went to 9 games no changes would be made most likely to schedules. I think it all boils down to ESPN giving enough money to satisfy Clemson/Florida State to mitigate what they would lose in a 1 home game every 2-3 years if they wanted to schedule a good non-conference game.

If the conference went to 9 games no changes would be made most likely to schedules. I think it all boils down to ESPN giving enough money to satisfy Clemson/Florida State to mitigate what they would lose in a 1 home game every 2-3 years if they wanted to schedule a good non-conference game.

If I am understanding the article correctly, the $$$ part is being determined by the implementation of the ACCN. ESPN wants more conference games which is all they can attempt to mandate/influence. What I am discussing is that if or when the conference agrees to the 9 game schedule (which will be over FSU's and Clemson's objections since reportedly they along with GT were the ones who fought the hardest against this when it wasn't tied to a network), what will the Noles, Tigers, and probably GT as well want out of a 9 game schedule?

My belief is that they will want more high profile games which they believe will put fans in their seats. And ESPN will sit back bemused by it all because that is precisely the impact they want as well but they can step back and say "all we wanted was a 9 game conference schedule. How you accomplished this was decided by the conference."

Cheers,
Neil

If I am understanding the article correctly, the $$$ part is being determined by the implementation of the ACCN. ESPN wants more conference games which is all they can attempt to mandate/influence. What I am discussing is that if or when the conference agrees to the 9 game schedule (which will be over FSU's and Clemson's objections since reportedly they along with GT were the ones who fought the hardest against this when it wasn't tied to a network), what will the Noles, Tigers, and probably GT as well want out of a 9 game schedule?

My belief is that they will want more high profile games which they believe will put fans in their seats. And ESPN will sit back bemused by it all because that is precisely the impact they want as well but they can step back and say "all we wanted was a 9 game conference schedule. How you accomplished this was decided by the conference."

Cheers,
Neil
I doubt they would want more than just making sure the week before they play each other they get a bye and the week before their SEC rivalry game they have a cupcake scheduled.
9 game conference schedule
6 division game
1 protected cross division rival
2 other cross division opponents
With 6 other division opponents and 2 open slots instead of 1 each team plays everyone home/home over 6 years.

For ESPN to invest in an ACCN they need more Florida State-Virginia Tech, Clemson-Miami, Louisville-Georgia Tech matchups than just once every 6 years.

neil,

I think you are reading too much into that.

they wont have to give concessions of who the powers play for an extra game.

in theory, even games against the dregs like wake, bc and Syracuse are higher profile than what they will currently see.

they wont drop the SEC game, they will drop the mac...replaced, upgraded if I may...to an ACC team.

I doubt they would want more than just making sure the week before they play each other they get a bye and the week before their SEC rivalry game they have a cupcake scheduled.
9 game conference schedule
6 division game
1 protected cross division rival
2 other cross division opponents

With 6 other division opponents and 2 open slots instead of 1 each team plays everyone home/home over 6 years.

For ESPN to invest in an ACCN they need more Florida State-Virginia Tech, Clemson-Miami, Louisville-Georgia Tech matchups than just once every 6 years.

If you think FSU and Clemson want to cycle through Duke, UNC, UVa and Pitt more quickly over getting GT (in FSU's case) or VT or Miami (in Clemson's case) on an annual basis and that GT wants to cycle through Wake, NC State, BC, and SU more frequently then getting FSU on an annual basis so be it.

And if you believe that they are only a minority that can be overruled on this issue then remember that the UNC 4 most likely would prefer getting the fourth NC school they don't play annually now on a yearly basis then again so be it. But that is a powerful 7 team coalition that in my mind will likely overrule the set-up bolded above for 2 protected cross division rival games and 1 other cross division opponent from the 5. However, I have been known to be wrong before which is why I mentioned in original post above that I am not going to get too excited by this at the moment.

As for the ESPN part of your post, getting let's say FSU-GT, Clemson-VT or Miami; and Louisville-VT or Miami on an annual basis accomplishes more than every third year FSU and Clemson getting two of Duke, UNC, Pitt, and UVa. As I said above, they won't bring this up, but they likely know what it will mean long-term and will smile knowing that they didn't have to say anything to bring this about.

It is what it is and to me the following match-ups on an annual basis seems something what the endgame looks like:

FSU-Miami
FSU-Clemson
FSU-GT
FSU-Louisville
Clemson-GT
Clemson-VT
Clemson-Louisville
Miami-VT
Miami-GT
Miami-Louisville
VT-GT

Obviously as an SU fan, I hope this is one of those times I will be wrong.

Cheers,
Neil

could structure it where atlantic divisuion has 5 home 4 away when clemson and florida state and louisville Are due to play at there sec rivals

neil,

I think you are reading too much into that.

they wont have to give concessions of who the powers play for an extra game.

in theory, even games against the dregs like wake, bc and Syracuse are higher profile than what they will currently see.

they wont drop the SEC game, they will drop the mac...replaced, upgraded if I may...to an ACC team.

Again, you and Alsacs could be right. And I do hope I'm wrong. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers,
Neil

If you think FSU and Clemson want to cycle through Duke, UNC, UVa and Pitt more quickly over getting GT (in FSU's case) or VT or Miami (in Clemson's case) on an annual basis and that GT wants to cycle through Wake, NC State, BC, and SU more frequently then getting FSU on an annual basis so be it.

And if you believe that they are only a minority that can be overruled on this issue then remember that the UNC 4 most likely would prefer getting the fourth NC school they don't play annually now on a yearly basis then again so be it. But that is a powerful 7 team coalition that in my mind will likely overrule the set-up bolded above for 2 protected cross division rival games and 1 other cross division opponent from the 5. However, I have been known to be wrong before which is why I mentioned in original post above that I am not going to get too excited by this at the moment.

As for the ESPN part of your post, getting let's say FSU-GT, Clemson-VT or Miami; and Louisville-VT or Miami on an annual basis accomplishes more than every third year FSU and Clemson getting two of Duke, UNC, Pitt, and UVa. As I said above, they won't bring this up, but they likely know what it will mean long-term and will smile knowing that they didn't have to say anything to bring this about.

It is what it is and to me the following match-ups on an annual basis seems something what the endgame looks like:

FSU-Miami
FSU-Clemson
FSU-GT
FSU-Louisville
Clemson-GT
Clemson-VT
Clemson-Louisville
Miami-VT
Miami-GT
Miami-Louisville
VT-GT

Obviously as an SU fan, I hope this is one of those times I will be wrong.

Cheers,
Neil
Divisions may be changed for TV purposes but the conference schedule will not go from 1 annual cross-division matchup to 2 that defeats the purpose of going from 8 to 9. Florida State getting Georgia Tech every 3 years over 6 years is a lot better.

Sign me up for the 9 game conference schedule.

ACC won't stop playing FCS unless the other P5 conferences do the same. No way the SEC will ever stop. Otherwise, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

The B1G has already passed a rule that it will not schedule FCS teams. Unfortunately, the $EC gets a pass because of its success "cough" (cheating) has made it so powerful in the eyes of the voters. The ACC should not worry about the $EC, rather it should worry about the other four power conferences. We would not want the ACC champion to be left out of the playoff because of perceived weaker schedule. The B1G, Pac and XII are going to or have a nine game conference schedule. If they also ban FCS schools, the ACC will be at a disadvantage if it continues to play them as to strength of schedule.

Again, you and Alsacs could be right. And I do hope I'm wrong. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers,
Neil
its a Conference, they wont discriminate.

Miami has been great, then theve sucked, also been a good game.

dook sucked forever, now theyre a good game.

ga tech, Syracuse, pitt, unc...on and on.

its cyclical.

could structure it where atlantic division has 5 home 4 away when clemson and florida state and louisville Are due to play at there sec rivals
That isn't the problem the problem is that with a 9 game schedule years FSU/Clemson play at Notre Dame they would only have 6 home games.

With 8 conference games those 2 schools can play 2 tough OOC games and still get 7 home games with 9 conference games they can't guarantee 7 home games which they need for the AD budget.

ESPN and ACCN would have to give the $$$ to make it worth it for them when they would have to play at Notre Dame.

its a Conference, they wont discriminate.

Miami has been great, then theve sucked, also been a good game.

dook sucked forever, now theyre a good game.

ga tech, Syracuse, pitt, unc...on and on.

its cyclical.

Now that is the most naive statement I believe I have ever seen you make. But again, you could be right.

Cheers,
Neil

Now that is the most naive statement I believe I have ever seen you make. But again, you could be right.

Cheers,
Neil
there is zero chance.

12-0 is 12-0.

11-1 is 11-1.

why would we want to potentially put another loss on the plate of our powers??

getting 2, 12-0 teams to the ACC-C is the goal...with more conf games televised along the way.

there is zero chance.

12-0 is 12-0.

11-1 is 11-1.

why would we want to potentially put another loss on the plate of our powers??

getting 2, 12-0 teams to the ACC-C is the goal...with more conf games televised along the way.

One could argue that the reason why ACC teams need undefeated records heading to the playoffs while other conference's best teams do not is SOS. But that is for a different thread. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

One could argue that the reason why ACC teams need undefeated records heading to the playoffs while other conference's best teams do not is SOS. But that is for a different thread. ;)

Cheers,
Neil
oh, I agree.

but I think that is just us getting too smart for ourselves.

its a bigger mess if say the Atlantic shows up with an undefeated and the Coastal shows up with a 1 loss or even a 2 loss because of SOS, then beats the undefeated.

you play it straight and let the chips fall as they may.

not worth it.