ACC Going to 9 Games for Football? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Going to 9 Games for Football?

Divisions may be changed for TV purposes but the conference schedule will not go from 1 annual cross-division matchup to 2 that defeats the purpose of going from 8 to 9. Florida State getting Georgia Tech every 3 years over 6 years is a lot better.

You are assuming that the purpose of going to 9 games is to cycle through quicker. What Neil is saying is that the purpose of the 9th game is to make more money. In which case guaranteed marquee matchups is more appealing. Also each team would be going from playing cross overs once every 6 years to once every 5 years if you have 2 permanent cross over rivals. It is still better.

You are assuming that the purpose of going to 9 games is to cycle through quicker. What Neil is saying is that the purpose of the 9th game is to make more money. In which case guaranteed marquee matchups is more appealing. Also each team would be going from playing cross overs once every 6 years to once every 5 years if you have 2 permanent cross over rivals. It is still better.
I feel very confident the ACC will not do this. If they expand to 9 games it will be 2 crossover games from the other division and not just 1.
As Kaiser said teams go in cycles and their aren't enough good games to demand a 2nd protected crossover games.

The SEC doesn't get enough Alabama-Florida, Auburn-Florida, Tennessee-LSU type matchups because of their 8 games as well. The ACC would be going to 9 games to get more fresh matchups.

7 games IS more $$.

and how do you know that 9th game (2015) isn't unc-Clemson or unc=fla st??

could structure it where atlantic divisuion has 5 home 4 away when clemson and florida state and louisville Are due to play at there sec rivals
That is what the article says. It is set up so that each of these schools will have 5 home games between their ACC and SEC games.

The problem is when they have to play at ND... in those years they can only have 6 home games... assuming a 12-game schedule.

I feel very confident the ACC will not do this. If they expand to 9 games it will be 2 crossover games from the other division and not just 1.
As Kaiser said teams go in cycles and their aren't enough good games to demand a 2nd protected crossover games.

The SEC doesn't get enough Alabama-Florida, Auburn-Florida, Tennessee-LSU type matchups because of their 8 games as well. The ACC would be going to 9 games to get more fresh matchups.

You could have every year:

FSU-GA Tech
Clemson-Miami
Louisville-VA Tech

Those are Tier 1 games, which makes ESPN happy. On top of that you can make the 4 Carolina schools happy by having Duke-NC State and UNC-Wake back as yearly games. Then you have Pitt-BC back as well. UVA would get stuck with SU.

The above makes more sense than having randomness.

FSU-GA Tech
Clemson-Miami
Louisville-VA Tech

Those are Tier 1 games, which makes ESPN happy. On top of that you can make the 4 Carolina schools happy by having Duke-NC State and UNC-Wake back as yearly games. Then you have Pitt-BC back as well. UVA would get stuck with SU.

You opinion makes sense but I don't think the ACC would that.

FSU-GA Tech
Clemson-Miami
Louisville-VA Tech

that makes zero sense.

ga tech would be signing up for another arse whooping.

so would Miami...

and now sans-beamer...so would vpi.

nobody is dumb enough to want that.

you roll the dice that 1 or 2 of the games is marquis, but that's not the issue anyway. its to s-p-r-e-a-d out what is that years marquis games over multiple weekends hoping to avoid on the weekend Clemson-fsu finds you also with a couple of 9-1's clashing.

and other weekends you get a pile of dung.

honestly, if that is what theyre trying to do, then the whole thing should be scrapped right now, for it aint gonna happen.

Looks like the coming ACC Network may lead to 9 ACC conference games per season. This would, among other things, help solve the scheduling woes of the troubled SU Athletic Department.

Also, this article marks the first time I have seen a suggestion that ACC schools might stop playing FCS opponents OOC...

Nine-game conference football schedule possible for ACC (dailypress.com; Teel)

As the ACC and ESPN envision the technology, finances and scope of their future partnership, one word or concept is central:

Inventory.

The ACC needs more revenue from its media rightsholder, and in exchange, ESPN surely is requesting more inventory.

Specifically, games. More specifically, football games. Conference football games.

Remember the parameters of the nine-game league schedule ACC schools adopted in 2012, only to shelve eight months later? Time to unearth that file.

Indeed, nine games are quite possible if, as expected, the ACC and ESPN agree by year's end to broaden the league’s exposure through traditional (cable) and progressive (online streaming) means.
I hope not. Clemson and FSU are absolutely against this because of our yearly SEC rivalry game.

Last edited:
The solution is 13 games. For every P5 conference. One more quality conference game for TV and one (remaining) body bag home game for the fan cash. This ihas been mentioned for several years now and the NCAA has a caveat for Hawaii. IF Hawaii can play 13 and the teams that travel to Hawaii can play 13, realistically, so can every other school. What's more, is that the season could be elongated by opening one week earlier! - More games for the broadcasters

Also, ND might be "persuaded" to bring back the annual Pitt game or play the non-SEC opponent schools more frequently and lighten up on the SEC opponent schools. Not really that far out of the question.

I hope not. Clemson and FSU are absolutely against this because of our yearly SEC rivalry game.
I honestly think this is just a means to the real end, extending the season. If the conferences end up at 13 games, a 9 game conference schedule changes nothing. With the P5 locked up the only way to create new inventory is to play more games. The broadcast partners can push for it while the various teams that have good reason to not shorten the OOC schedule can push for it and as long as there is extra $$$ to go around, most others would approve of it.

gobigorange said:

I don't get it.

If you're good playing a Pitt instead of Toledo would be good for your playoff resume. It hurts a team like Syracuse more than Clemson. You have the horses to win an extra conference game consistently.

You don't have to stop playing an annual SEC game.

If they schedule it smart, you get the same number of home games.

And you make more money.

13 games is unlikely just because these kids are already playing too many games.
Teams that play for the NC play 15 games. That is a lot.
Plus college games have a lot more plays because of spread offense and high scoring.

The only way 9 games happens is ESPN pays enough money that Florida State and Clemson say that revenue is enough to satisfy the problems it would cause our schedule.

A 13 game season also would negatively affect the demand for an expanded playoff as that would also extend the season further.

Because I would be in favor of playing our conference mates more often, I have no problem with a nine game season so we can cycle through the other teams more often. The ACC teams that have an annual game against the SEC have a choice to keep it or not.

The other option would be to have a scheduling agreement with the SEC. This would provide ESPN additional content for both the ACC and SEC channel.

I don't get the love for the Cardinals. They're a motorcycle ride away from being irrelevant and will be only be going 33% against the Orangemen starting in 2017, possibly 2016.

I don't get the love for the Cardinals. They're a motorcycle ride away from being irrelevant and will be only be going 33% against the Orangemen starting in 2017, possibly 2016.
Best and newest facilities in Football/basketball, no admission restrictions to speak of, good location for recruiting the south, fun city, cute co-eds...

9/12 games being conference would suck. I personally like the variety of a possible MAC team, an FCS, a big boy from a P5 conference, and the USFs and Uconns of the world being there. If we ciuld schedule OOC future games properly most would still enjoy the 4/8 setup as it stands now. There are so many interesting teams to play and have a legitimate chance of winning against. If we go to 3/9...with the ACC getting stronger expect a 3 game OOC schedule similar to the putrid scheduling of Rutgirls.

I like quality non-conference games. I always like seeing teams from different parts of the country and it keeps me interested in other conferences. I wish we'd see some late in the season. If we go to 9 conference games I hope we lose the fcs game.

I don't get it.

If you're good playing a Pitt instead of Toledo would be good for your playoff resume. It hurts a team like Syracuse more than Clemson. You have the horses to win an extra conference game consistently.

And you make more money.
Since we have to play the instate DIAA school and South Carolina every year, the nine game schedule pretty much keeps us from playing home and away games with P5 schools.

With 8 conference games those 2 schools can play 2 tough OOC games and still get 7 home games with 9 conference games they can't guarantee 7 home games which they need for the AD budget.
Not only that but the fans would never settle for 6 home games.

Not only that but the fans would never settle for 6 home games.
No way to avoid it with a 9-game conference schedule, unless you never play ND and never play a P5 OOC. Other conferences are doing it. If it becomes a real issue then a 13th game will appear in the near future.

gobigorange said:
Since we have to play the instate DIAA school and South Carolina every year, the nine game schedule pretty much keeps us from playing home and away games with P5 schools.

I get that. But I'm not sure that concern is greater than what you and the conference get.

I don't get it.

And you make more money.
A nine game conference schedule would be balanced with the South Carolina game's home and away schedule so that Clemson would have 5 home and 5 away games cemented in the schedule every year. That leaves 2 games to be scheduled each year. For Clemson to maintain 7 home games each year, those games would end up being bought home games against FCS teams because we could not do a return trip with a FBS team.

It would mean, for Clemson, the end of any exciting OOC games in the regular schedule under a 12 game schedule. We have seen this before when the 9 game schedule was voted in last time. Clemson immediately cancelled teh Ole Miss games because of it.

Keep in mind that Clemson does not have a basketball program that sells out every game to fall back on to make up revenue from lost home games. For Clemson, the football team really is the bread winner for its AD.

Finally, if a 9 game conference schedule is being pushed to create more exciting matchups, the opposite will occur with respect to FL ST, Clemson, GT, and Louisville. It will kill any OOC high-stakes scheduling.

irishredhomebrew said:
A nine game conference schedule would be balanced with the South Carolina game's home and away schedule so that Clemson would have 5 home and 5 away games cemented in the schedule every year. That leaves 2 games to be scheduled each year. For Clemson to maintain 7 home games each year, those games would end up being bought home games against FCS teams because we could not do a return trip with a FBS team. It would mean, for Clemson, the end of any exciting OOC games in the regular schedule under a 12 game schedule. We have seen this before when the 9 game schedule was voted in last time. Clemson immediately cancelled teh Ole Miss games because of it. Keep in mind that Clemson does not have a basketball program that sells out every game to fall back on to make up revenue from lost home games. For Clemson, the football team really is the bread winner for its AD. Finally, if a 9 game conference schedule is being pushed to create more exciting matchups, the opposite will occur with respect to FL ST, Clemson, GT, and Louisville. It will kill any OOC high-stakes scheduling.

Good points.

Are we sure the amount of additional $ Clemson would be getting from ESPN wouldn't be greater than the revenue loss from the missing home game?

And a home and home with a P5 eliminates one home game every other year, no?

So additional income from ESPN + the revenue from a P5 home game every other year + an additional ACC home game every year < the income from the 4th OOC?

I wonder how much additional revenue ESPN is sitting on. Seems like the right number might make that bitter pill taste a lot better ;).