ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 250 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Boston Miami 3:45
Boston Dallas 4:10
Boston San Francisco: 6:30

So its a maximum 3 hour difference in travel time. Considerably less when the flights are reversed due to Jet stream.
BC leaves Boston 5 pm charter Thursday arrives San Francisco at approximately 8:30 pm pacific time.
By Saturday game they are good to go.

Its a 3 hour difference vs Miami trip. Its Considerably easier than the bus rides many FBS and D2 schools do.
Lets not make this what it isnt.
Concord is gonna be back soon though. Cut that in half!

I kept most existing 3 permanent rivals except for wake /georgia tech as it felt like one than was forced.
I did a quick 1st attempt at 4 perm rivals for each and this is how it turned out:
( NEW)

Clemson- Fsu, Georgia Tech, NC State, ( SMU)
Florida State-Clemson, Miami, Syracuse, ( GT)
North Carolina- Duke, Nc State, Virginia,(WAKE)
Nc State- Unc, Duke, Clemson, (Wake)
Miami- Fsu, Bc, Louisville, (VT)
Georgia Tech- Clemson, Duke, Louisville, ( FSU)
Duke- Unc, Nc State, Wake, (GT)
Wake- Duke, VT, (UNC, NC STATE)
Virginia Tech- Virginia, Pitt, Wake, ( MIAMI)
Virginia- Vt, Unc, Louisville, ( STANFORD)
Louisville- Virginia, Miami, Gt, ( SMU)
Pitt- Bc, Syracuse, Vt, ( CALIFORNIA)
Syracuse- Bc, Pitt, Fsu, ( CALIFORNIA)
Boston College- Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, ( STANFORD)
Stanford- (California, Smu, Bc, Virginia)
California- (Stanford, Smu, Pitt, Syracuse)
SMU- (Stanford, California, Louisville, Clemson)

I kept most existing 3 permanent rivals except for wake /georgia tech as it felt like one than was forced.
I did a quick 1st attempt at 4 perm rivals for each and this is how it turned out:
( NEW)

I prefer 2-7/7. The schedules for the in-state SEC opponent schools (Clemson/GTech/FSU) will get tougher, but with the 12-team playoff, you can afford 2 losses.

Yeah, give everyone money to cover the extra travel plus a few extra million and then the rest goes to the incentive pot. If FSU wants the big check, they can earn it on the field.
Or how about the "no" votes (like FSU) get absolutely none of the additional money, even if it is performance driven? Take their share and give it to the next team that voted "yes" in the standings. I wonder if that would change those "no" votes in to "yes" votes?

I prefer 2-7/7. The schedules for the in-state SEC opponent schools (Clemson/GTech/FSU) will get tougher, but with the 12-team playoff, you can afford 2 losses.
there is no chance we are going to 9 conference games when espn even wouldnt pay the sec to go to 9 conference games

And? Losses to Notre Dame still equate to huge rating boosts in football
But we are P5 not G5 losing like that to a team that would be mid level in the SEC or Big Ten is pathetic its 30 games straight and ridiculous.

They finally fix the schedule so we can play teams like Miami regularly and everyone is jumping overthemselves to go scheduling Stanford and Cal its crazy. Do nothing. We don't need this conference either we'll be OK if it goes bust we'll be a big fish where we end up.

All fun and games until you lose 7 in 3 straight seasons and decide your dollars are better spent elsewhere

They’ve been waiting years/decades for this opportunity and are saying basically a small tailgate can have enough juice to float the program thru 9 figures (granted over 7 years) like most people would throw down to cover beer (I know I’m exaggerating a bit here).

You think they’re all of a sudden going to go short-term now?

No way. First, it’s not breaking them. Second, the conference money will be coming. Third, this is built into their being. This isn’t some investment into a wacky cousin’s gourmet fluff and nutter sandwich shop. This is Gilbert and Sullivan-level sense of duty. And now the stigma is gone. Shackles are off. And they’re in a power conference.

This same donor said (and this noted in the comments), in response to the AAC charging them $18M to leave, “SMU can just tell them to pound sand and leave. We’re leaving. Send us the bill. Hasta la vista.”

They finally fix the schedule so we can play teams like Miami regularly and everyone is jumping overthemselves to go scheduling Stanford and Cal its crazy. Do nothing. We don't need this conference either we'll be OK if it goes bust we'll be a big fish where we end up.
We will still play them regularly. In the meantime, have fun living in 1989 in Big East fantasyland

I have a friend (pilot) who retired a few years ago from the airline industry who told me that airlines are hurting for pilots, aircraft etc for private charters for college sports teams. He said commercial flights were hurting enough but private charters (many he said which are actually rented from commercial airlines like Delta, United etc) who are even more pressed and prices were escalating big time. This was 6 months to a year ago when we spoke, and he was commenting on the Big12 expansion. I can’t help but wonder what is happening now that almost every conference has or is expanding. He said the demand for commercial flights for fans to see games that previously were drivable would effect even more commercial flights and prices. He commented also on football gear which he said often was transported by bus not planes when they would leave a day or 2 before a game to drive to game sites. He said he thought many would now have to fly the gear because of the distance and rent buses from airports to stadiums. To be honest, I only paid half attention since he was talking mostly about the Big12.

My son also mentioned that the media in Texas was complaining about travel for their sports teams.

They’ve been waiting years/decades for this opportunity and are saying basically a small tailgate can have enough juice to float the program thru 9 figures (granted over 7 years) like most people would throw down to cover beer (I know I’m exaggerating a bit here).

No way. First, it’s not breaking them. Second, the conference money will be coming. Third, this is built into their being. This isn’t some investment into a wacky cousin’s gourmet fluff and nutter sandwich shop. This is Gilbert and Sullivan-level sense of duty. And now the stigma is gone. Shackles are off. And they’re in a power conference.

This same donor said (and this noted in the comments), in response to the AAC charging them $18M to leave, “SMU can just tell them to pound sand and leave. We’re leaving. Send us the bill. Hasta la vista.”

Just take a look at the kind of money in that alumni network. It's nuts. I don't quite think people (in general) realize despite how many times it's been brought up.

We will still play them regularly. In the meantime, have fun living in 1989 in Big East fantasyland
No its recent Creighton/Xavier/Marquette and uconn how that went plus MSG in March that sounds good.

As long as FB isn't Indy and we have a conference that likely has a tie in for the playoffs sign me up. Just don't keep BB in that garbage ass second rate conference of course.

Boston Miami 3:45
Boston Dallas 4:10
Boston San Francisco: 6:30

So its a maximum 3 hour difference in travel time. Considerably less when the flights are reversed due to Jet stream.
BC leaves Boston 5 pm charter Thursday arrives San Francisco at approximately 8:30 pm pacific time.
By Saturday game they are good to go.

Its a 3 hour difference vs Miami trip. Its Considerably easier than the bus rides many FBS and D2 schools do.
Lets not make this what it isnt.
It’s not 1910 when it comes to travel. These teams can pair up meaning basketball and other sports that are playing at the time to save money. Stop worrying about the travel these teams will be added and I’m thrilled.

Would people rather travel a bit more or
Have the ACC conference be dead and buried in a few years when teams consider leaving? I’d give the four that want to consider leaving most
Of the money if they sign another GOR
Past the one currently signed that they aren’t leaving the ACC

( NEW)

Good work Chris. I think it is more likely that the new members permanent rivals will have direct flights to San Francisco and Dallas.

Boston College, Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke, NC State, UNC and Pittsburgh all have direct flights from nearby airports to SF.

They would seem to me to be the best candidates from a travel cost and efficiency perspective.

Syracuse, Louisville and Virginia Tech might be the worst choices.

Hoping we finally get Miami if a fourth rival is added. Would take Virginia as a fallback.

Scheduling for football is a bear with an odd number of teams. As mentioned before, it means one team is without a conference game all season. Teams have to schedule OOC games all through the year, or take byes at senseless times. It is a bad setup you want to avoid.

That is why I wondered if the ACC might add one more team to get to 18 for football (and 19 for basketball).

Then you could retain the 2 rival set up (the three newbies get each other). And go 2-5-5-5 (i.e. a different group of 5 conference opponents to fill out the conference schedule each year)

If you want to retain an 8 game conference season, this looks to me like it might be the best option. Teams would be guaranteed to play all the other teams in the conference at least once every 3 years.

Last edited:
Good work Chris. I think it is more likely that the new members permanent rivals will have direct flights to San Francisco and Dallas.

Boston College, Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke, NC State, UNC and Pittsburgh all have direct flights from nearby airports to SF.

They would seem to me to be the best candidates from a travel cost and efficiency perspective.

Syracuse, Louisville and Virginia Tech might be the worst choices.

Hoping we finally get Miami if a fourth rival is added. Would take Virginia as a fallback.

Scheduling for football is a bear with an odd number of teams. As mentioned before, it means one team is without a conference game all season. Teams have to schedule OOC games all through the year, or take byes at senseless times. It is a bad setup you want to avoid.

That is why I wondered if the ACC might add one more team to get to 18 for football (and 19 for basketball).

Then you could retain the 2 rival set up (the three newbies get each other). And go 2-5-5-5 (i.e. a different group of 5 conference opponents to fill out the conference schedule each year)

If you want to retain an 8 game conference season, this looks to me like it might be the best option. Teams would be guaranteed to play all the other teams in the conference at least once every 3 years.
Yea its possible, but also figure they will try to right any perm rivals that were lost like miami/VT and unc/wake and the newbies will be getting the additional travel, hopefully will find out soon.

The fact that more women than men graduate from college points out how skewed athletic funding is because of football. Football creates an 85-scholarship 100+ roster spots hole for the rest of the athletic department. Sen John Tower (R-TX) tried to get a carve-out for football when Title IX was first under consideration and got nowhere. There's absolutely no way an exemption for football would pass.
Wouldn’t the idea that women can try out for the football team exempt it from Title IX? I have no idea how many women could make. D1 football team, but haven’t we already seen a kicker or punter or two? Maybe a DB? The fact that almost none would make the team doesn’t seem to me that it makes it a male-only sport.

Kudos for working Fluff and Gilbert & Sullivan into a post.

This SMU coming into the ACC reminds of the episode of Seinfeld where the major leagues were going to start playing interleague play and the Yankees first team was going to be the Astros. The Boss makes Costanza the point man to contact the Astros organization. Houston sends up some exec's, probably old SMU frat guys, to New York to meet with George and they go to a bar to begin an exchange and the first thing they say is, "George, do you drink?".

But we are P5 not G5 losing like that to a team that would be mid level in the SEC or Big Ten is pathetic its 30 games straight and ridiculous.
So be better? Like what is your point, it’s unfair that ND keeps beating people? That’s football

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom