ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 253 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I can’t help think of UNC etc in the BIG or the SEC and the lack of power unlike in the ACC that they will have. Money yes - but
I'll stop you right there because you just nailed it with, "Money yes." That's all that matters, that's it. Unless we're talking a really close margin, like maybe 10-15% less money in the ACC and still running the conference, it doesn't matter. If you're talking $100M a year vs. $60-70M a year, they're taking the $100M every single time.
I literally just want a reason to party in New Orleans.
Dream up some neutral site games to ease the travel burden, then!
I don't think they're bad at all, I just don't get why some seem to believe they would suddenly rocket up to the top 1/3d of the ACC when they couldn't even consistently do that in the AAC. They had 4 good years before many of us could talk and it seems like a few people on the board think they're a sleeping giant
Their alums aren't going to spend money to win in a conference they don't care about that doesn't give them a chance to be big time again. Now that they have a chance to get a real seat at the table, the cash is going to start flowing. That means they have a chance, whether the sleeping giant can awaken and become a contender again is a big question. But there's a chance, which makes them better than any other option the ACC has.

but if they HAD been boosting since the 80s they would've been in a major conference by now. You cannot tell me they were waiting for this moment (which was likely delayed if there actually was an unwillingness to invest) to see them magically start pouring tens of millions into the program. They never thought that maybe if they started 15 years ago they might've made it into the Big 12 ala TCU? I just don't buy that at all. At worst they should've invested once TCU made the jump, yet here we are.
But now that NIL changed the landscape, it's a lot easier and it can be a lot more direct - more in line with the way they used to do it.

That's all well and good. But if SMU doesn't have a great coach (and staff) then all that booster money will be pissed away. There are a LOT of schools with deep-pocketed boosters. Only some of them win consistently.
Wake Forest has been a top 5 ACC program over the past 5 years. It's not a stretch at all to think that SMU, with a ton more money than Wake, can replicate that success.

I don't think they're bad at all, I just don't get why some seem to believe they would suddenly rocket up to the top 1/3d of the ACC when they couldn't even consistently do that in the AAC. They had 4 good years before many of us could talk and it seems like a few people on the board think they're a sleeping giant.
Do you think they have been able to win any recruiting battles for the top players they want? They offer an AAC schedule while all the big teams offer P5 matchups on ESPN or FOX. Now they will be on a much more equal footing and will get the talent.

On the odd # of teams:
It could theoretically be as low as 8 games where one team has no opponent in conference, although at least one team per week HAS to play OOC or have a bye, so a max of 13 games. The first month is easy, almost everyone is playing OOC. Figure about 10 teams will need to play a conference game during the first four weeks to open an OOC slot for later.

ND could cover 5 of those (6 would be better if they can negotiate it) and slot them during the typical conference season. Byes could cover the rest, but you'd really only want them around weeks 6-9 or so. Army, UConn, and UMass are also available as independents.

Are there any other conferences with an odd number of teams that we could make a scheduling agreement with?

Wake Forest has been a top 5 ACC program over the past 5 years. It's not a stretch at all to think that SMU, with a ton more money than Wake, can replicate that success.
Anyone can replicate Wake's success if they have the right coach. That's not what's being discussed here though.

I've come around on the SMU experiment. They COULD become like Miami in the '80's and '90's. Perfect geography. Limited academic hurdles. Oceans of "dumb" money.

I know a ton of kids who are there now or headed there from PHX private school world. It's definitely a "hot" school right now for a certain type.

I'll bet on SMU being a good add - maybe a great add. Along with CalFord.

Being willing to spend almost unlimited money does make it a bit easier to find the right coach.

It usually just makes it easier to get out of your bad hires.

Texas A&M used their gazillion dollars to hire Jimbo. Excluding Covid, his regular season records are 8-4, 7-5, 8-4, 5-7.

Money helps, but you still have to be smart.

Appropriate, since today is the 2 year anniversary of the alliance.

“Collaboration”?

4AD4932C-B0CF-4E9A-B0A7-C2C0DB6C9DB6.jpeg

There won’t be a ton of travel costs for the current ACC teams, obviously there will be an increase, it’s really Stanford, Cal and SMU who will get crushed the most. The money for most teams won’t make much of a dent, the move is designed for FSU, Clemson etc to be able to take their presumed football success, grab a big chunk of this new money, and be happy in the ACC. Plus it is a move to try and still be in front of the Big 12 down the line. How this actually plays out? We shall see
Maybe they can negotiate to have Stanford and Cal give their frequent flyer miles to FSU.

But now that NIL changed the landscape, it's a lot easier and it can be a lot more direct - more in line with the way they used to do it.
and yet no big names are there yet. Once again we are falling into the territory of blind belief. 3 years of NIL but no support yet, they have to wait until SMU is in a good conference? This is despite the fact that if they were outperforming their conference mates (not finishing in 5th or 6th or worse every year) they would've significantly improved their chances to make it to a power conference and not have to give up significant revenue.

It doesnt make sense
Their alums aren't going to spend money to win in a conference they don't care about that doesn't give them a chance to be big time again. Now that they have a chance to get a real seat at the table, the cash is going to start flowing. That means they have a chance, whether the sleeping giant can awaken and become a contender again is a big question. But there's a chance, which makes them better than any other option the ACC has.
"Big time again" they were big time for 4 years, a 30 for 30 does not make you a sleeping giant.

Do you think they have been able to win any recruiting battles for the top players they want? They offer an AAC schedule while all the big teams offer P5 matchups on ESPN or FOX. Now they will be on a much more equal footing and will get the talent.
I dont think so, and i don't think they will win many more in the ACC considering they're still the least attractive "major" program in Texas.

Being willing to spend almost unlimited money does make it a bit easier to find the right coach.
As Chip said, it's never easy to find the right coach. It makes it easier to retain one, if you find him. And it makes you more competitive in hiring good staff.

But finding a great coach (which is what mid/low tier programs need) ain't easy no matter how much doh-rey-mi one has.

As Chip said, it's never easy to find the right coach. It makes it easier to retain one, if you find him. And it makes you more competitive in hiring good staff.

But finding a great coach (which is what mid/low tier programs need) ain't easy no matter how much doh-rey-mi one has.
Yep for every Lance Leipold there are four Scott Shafers. Oof, that sounds horrible

There is a huge amount of talent in TX. And SMU has a very wealthy bunch of alums who love football. They will donate very big bucks to have the best NIL set up, and they will get a whole bunch of top players to The Hill.
Adding these three schools is a great move on MOST fronts. Yes, the travel is an issue but read my previous post. Many college teams have it much worse. An extra 3 hours max on a chartered plane isn't that big of a deal.

Positives are it adds a considerable amount of money to the pot. Not just the extra from ESPN but also the additional carriage fees that will occur via Dallas and the Bay area subscribers.

All three of these schools are excellent academically.
Stanford is top 10 in endowments and has won more National championships in Olympic sports than I believe any other school.
SMU is a top academic institution with a very wealthy alumnus network.
The recruiting territory for the ACC now includes Texas and California
My prediction is that within 3 years SMU and Stanford will be excellent programs that will challenge for league championships.

This is a major win for the ACC and will ensure its standing as a solid third place league with the resources to compete.

Academically there is no question that we are the premier conference.

Great job let's get this over the goal line.

They will for sure

It usually just makes it easier to get out of your bad hires.

Texas A&M used their gazillion dollars to hire Jimbo. Excluding Covid, his regular season records are 8-4, 7-5, 8-4, 5-7.

Money helps, but you still have to be smart.
Definitely have to be smart but $$ helps over not having $$ which is partly why FSU is having a hissy fit. Money makes it much easier to have success. It doesn’t guarantee success but it definitely helps.

Definitely have to be smart but $$ helps over not having $$ which is partly why FSU is having a hissy fit. Money makes it much easier to have success. It doesn’t guarantee success but it definitely helps.
It makes it easier to sustain success if you get it as well

If Stanford Cal and SMU join the conference and Cal/Stanford take 30% there will be $58 million going to the ACC. If each of the 14 teams gets a $2 million travel allowance that leaves $30 million for the athletic success initiative.

My question for the forum is how would you divide the $30 million? My thoughts are that the ACC regular season champ gets $5M, the conference champ gets $5M, a top 10 finish gets $5M, a finish ranked 11-20 gets 2.5M and 10M for winning the national championship.

Thoughts???

If Stanford Cal and SMU join the conference and Cal/Stanford take 30% there will be $58 million going to the ACC. If each of the 14 teams gets a $2 million travel allowance that leaves $30 million for the athletic success initiative.

My question for the forum is how would you divide the $30 million? My thoughts are that the ACC regular season champ gets $5M, the conference champ gets $5M, a top 10 finish gets $5M, a finish ranked 11-20 gets 2.5M and 10M for winning the national championship.

Thoughts???
Will the initiative cover multiple sports, however? Football only gets X percentage of the hypothetical $30 mil and the rest is used for hoops/Olympic sports? Obviously football would be allotted the big chunk but I wonder if there will be some for other sports too or if they will just say screw it, this is all about football and all about putting a phat carrot out there for Clemson and FSU

Will the initiative cover multiple sports, however? Football only gets X percentage of the hypothetical $30 mil and the rest is used for hoops/Olympic sports? Obviously football would be allotted the big chunk but I wonder if there will be some for other sports too or if they will just say screw it, this is all about football and all about putting a phat carrot out there for Clemson and FSU
Agreed. I’m confused how this financially will benefit the full ACC. If the additional money coming in only goes to a few of the “winners.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom