ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 261 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I'm wondering if some of these schools arent happy with a pay for performance setup but instead just want to be paid straight up for their votes?
Swarbrick, on Dan Patrick's show on Wednesday, demurred when Patrick used the word "greed" to describe what's behind all of the realignment. This was his quote:

“So I’m not terribly comfortable with the description of it as greed, but it is all about money.”

Tell me, sir, what is the difference?

Surprised NCst doesn’t flip. NC will drop them in a second if it is in their benefit. They are delusional if they think the B1g or SEC is going to take them over others. Adding the 3 would be an increase in money to them going forward.

Getting learned about our [hopefully] new members: [click on orange text for links]

Syracuse vs Cal
SU is 1-1 all time. Cal has won 5 national championships[!], 30 consensus All Americans, 244 NFL draft picks, 27 in the first round, but no Heisman winners.

Played them in 1967 and 1968.

Syracuse vs Stanford
Stanford has won 2 national championships, 303 weeks in the AP poll, 37 consensus All Americans, 278 NFL draft picks, 25 in the first round, and 1 Heisman winner.

The schools have never played each other in football.

Syracuse vs SMU
SMU has won 3 national championships[!], 16 consensus All Americans, 175 NFL draft picks, 7 in the first round, and 1 Heisman winner.

Played them one time, in 1932. We lost. :(
Syracuse and Stanford are also two of the only three universities with a D1 national championship in basketball, a D1A/FBS national championship in football, and an alum who was president.

Michigan is the third.

Surprised NCst doesn’t flip. NC will drop them in a second if it is in their benefit. They are delusional if they think the B1g or SEC is going to take them over others. Adding the 3 would be an increase in money to them going forward.
I believe there is some weird setup in North Carolina where there is some kind of panel that "advises" the public schools how they "should" vote on this stuff. Of course those are air quotes and they have to vote the way they're told. UNC of course has more power on the board, so they basically control both votes.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect this week.

or they move our game to stanford or cal or smu
Agree with Chip, was not suggesting Tennessee is going to change.

But assuming this expansion happens, the ACC schedule is clearly going to change. Rotations will be adjusted, everyone will get a crack at the newbies and probably a couple of old school ACC programs will become ‘rivals’ of newbies.

ND will also get affected. We will inevitably play less games with them as will all ACC schools. My expectation is that the number of home and away games will probably not change but the opponents teams are playing h definitely will.

The ACC should take this rescheduling exercise as an opportunity to fix problems with the existing schedule.

It sounds like there is a battle between the normal ACC schools and the Magnificent Four regarding how to split up the new found money. Sounds like the normal schools have already agreed some of it will go to reward performance but the M4 are not satisfied.

Guessing they are saying they should get it all regardless of performance because they deserve it. Could see where this kind of attitude ends the whole deal.

Sounds like the M4 schools are playing a really high stakes game of poker. Really hope they do not get their way.

Syracuse and Stanford are also two of the only three universities with a D1 national championship in basketball, a D1A/FBS national championship in football, and an alum who was president.

Michigan is the third.
Biden, Gerald Ford and ???, help me with the Stanford grad, Hoover???, Coolidge???

Swarbrick, on Dan Patrick's show on Wednesday, demurred when Patrick used the word "greed" to describe what's behind all of the realignment. This was his quote:

“So I’m not terribly comfortable with the description of it as greed, but it is all about money.”

I agree - but I think they’d say they are trying to stay competitive. No one knows how much is enough (we prob crossed that line a while ago) and the p2 are driving the bus over a cliff

Swarbrick is a perfect example of slimy lawyer who would make any deal that would benefit him and hi client, as long as he thought he might not get caught. There is nothing he wouldn't do to achieve the goals of his client and himself. And the is the resin that he has played this game very well for a brief spell. The catch is that Swarbrick and ND are every bit as suicidally naive as the Pac was. The Pac naïveté was always based open the Rose Bow, and on the long partnership with the BT. So Pac people always, right to the very last second, believed the Pac was safe.

The ND naïveté is faith in what ND was through the 1970s and briefly recovered somewhat under Holtz, but is dying all over the country as church membership and, more important, strong church identity die on the vine: THE university for football for the nation's largest religious group. That alone could hold little ND up for decades, and what did the holding up is now dying very quickly. It cannot be made up by new waves of Third World Catholics. So ND thinks it is immune to the destructions it sits by and watches, and ND soon will find out that it is actually, to the Globalist corporations that finance all this, just another small private school that does even have the government of a small state that will back it to the hilt because that is in the state's best interests.

ND will be forced into the BT at some point, un less the ACC survives at full strength. Right the ND army of online posters clearly have talking pints that are the Swarbrick pipe dream: that ND is above the fray and that ND always is bets served when another conference no longer has power to 'force' ND to do anything, so ND is actually helped if the ACC is gutted of football power, because then the ACC will NEED ND so badly that ND, without being a member of ACC football, will order the ACC around all the time. Because then th4e ACC would be at the mercy of ND, which just wants to remain independent. So if ND wants the ACC to add Villanova because ND sees that as good for ND basketball and non-revenue sports, the ACC will do that ASAP. All in the name of ND's sacred independence. ND thus will have the best of every possible world and even get back to ruling CFB.

But that aint ever gonna have a single shot from the depthsof Hell to work. The staring reason is that ACC football losing its largest two fan abeam and thus also almost certainly other of its valuable schools (UNC, UVA, VT, NCSu, Miami) will provide ND with so poor a slate of games that MUST play a bunch of SEC and or BT teams every year just ton have foes worthy of preparing for a playoff.

And more to the end game, once there are just 2 Major/Power conferences, the SEC and BT will agree that the playoff over which they have Total control will take only schools from only leagues. At that second, ND's options are gone forever. Save from among 3 picks: join BT, join SEC, or choose to remain independent football in the Tier Two of CFB. That is the end game in terms of ND, and it can be avoided only if ND goes full football in the ACC to make that the ACC remains a Major/Power conference.

And to see how suicidal ND is, the fools either are blinkered to the fact that Cal and such added to the ACC will only rev up FSU's motors to leave, or else they actually want that so ND can control what's left of a greatly reduced ACC, leaving the remainders to beg from ND and bless ND for helping.

ND's massive comeuppance to its bottomless self-absorption is fast approaching, and neither the BT nor the SEC will ever have any mercy for an ND they have maneuvered onto their spider web. Ton them, ND is just another pawn they intend to grab to use to wage war against the other for final, total control.

Honestly, the best thing the ACC can do for their long term viability is to be a helluva lot better at football. The media value of the league would increase substantially if it were landing 6 schools in the top 25 regularly, with 3 in the new playoffs.

The brands and fanbases exist to take advantage of that. But the on field success has really been lacking.
Sounds good, but remember that TV does not pay for Wins. TV pays for TV viewers, And if the ACC loses both its two, and only 2, large football fan bases, FSU and Clemson, ACC football will not be Major in any sense that matters to TV.

The B1G has 0% interest in the sham of an academic institution masquerading as a university that is Lousiville.

Zero hyperbole.
Right. The Big 10 much prefers to retain member schools that serve as protective incubators for sex abusers.
They should really figure out which high horse they ought to be riding.

Sounds good, but remember that TV does not pay for Wins. TV pays for TV viewers, And if the ACC loses both its two, and only 2, large football fan bases, FSU and Clemson, ACC football will not be Major in any sense that matters to TV.
Fan bases grow with wins. Casual team fans like watching good football.

Correct. I watch more SEC games than ACC (sans Cuse).
Yuck. I don’t. My interest in the other conferences is relative to their connection to Syracuse and by affiliation, the ACC. If I have my tv on and I hear a game is good I’ll flip it on but it’s not appointment viewing.

I find the marginally better play to be completely offset by the arrogance and hubris that has only gotten worse as their coffers are more stuffed

26ab4d69-d1f5-4bc9-b57f-17f0f8067953_text.gif

Swarbrick is a perfect example of slimy lawyer who would make any deal that would benefit him and hi client, as long as he thought he might not get caught. There is nothing he wouldn't do to achieve the goals of his client and himself. And the is the resin that he has played this game very well for a brief spell. The catch is that Swarbrick and ND are every bit as suicidally naive as the Pac was. The Pac naïveté was always based open the Rose Bow, and on the long partnership with the BT. So Pac people always, right to the very last second, believed the Pac was safe.

The ND naïveté is faith in what ND was through the 1970s and briefly recovered somewhat under Holtz, but is dying all over the country as church membership and, more important, strong church identity die on the vine: THE university for football for the nation's largest religious group. That alone could hold little ND up for decades, and what did the holding up is now dying very quickly. It cannot be made up by new waves of Third World Catholics. So ND thinks it is immune to the destructions it sits by and watches, and ND soon will find out that it is actually, to the Globalist corporations that finance all this, just another small private school that does even have the government of a small state that will back it to the hilt because that is in the state's best interests.

ND will be forced into the BT at some point, un less the ACC survives at full strength. Right the ND army of online posters clearly have talking pints that are the Swarbrick pipe dream: that ND is above the fray and that ND always is bets served when another conference no longer has power to 'force' ND to do anything, so ND is actually helped if the ACC is gutted of football power, because then the ACC will NEED ND so badly that ND, without being a member of ACC football, will order the ACC around all the time. Because then th4e ACC would be at the mercy of ND, which just wants to remain independent. So if ND wants the ACC to add Villanova because ND sees that as good for ND basketball and non-revenue sports, the ACC will do that ASAP. All in the name of ND's sacred independence. ND thus will have the best of every possible world and even get back to ruling CFB.

But that aint ever gonna have a single shot from the depthsof Hell to work. The staring reason is that ACC football losing its largest two fan abeam and thus also almost certainly other of its valuable schools (UNC, UVA, VT, NCSu, Miami) will provide ND with so poor a slate of games that MUST play a bunch of SEC and or BT teams every year just ton have foes worthy of preparing for a playoff.

And more to the end game, once there are just 2 Major/Power conferences, the SEC and BT will agree that the playoff over which they have Total control will take only schools from only leagues. At that second, ND's options are gone forever. Save from among 3 picks: join BT, join SEC, or choose to remain independent football in the Tier Two of CFB. That is the end game in terms of ND, and it can be avoided only if ND goes full football in the ACC to make that the ACC remains a Major/Power conference.

And to see how suicidal ND is, the fools either are blinkered to the fact that Cal and such added to the ACC will only rev up FSU's motors to leave, or else they actually want that so ND can control what's left of a greatly reduced ACC, leaving the remainders to beg from ND and bless ND for helping.

ND's massive comeuppance to its bottomless self-absorption is fast approaching, and neither the BT nor the SEC will ever have any mercy for an ND they have maneuvered onto their spider web. Ton them, ND is just another pawn they intend to grab to use to wage war against the other for final, total control.
Somewhere in here is we'll all be governed by the Pope if JFK is elected right?

Agree with Chip, was not suggesting Tennessee is going to change.

But assuming this expansion happens, the ACC schedule is clearly going to change. Rotations will be adjusted, everyone will get a crack at the newbies and probably a couple of old school ACC programs will become ‘rivals’ of newbies.

ND will also get affected. We will inevitably play less games with them as will all ACC schools. My expectation is that the number of home and away games will probably not change but the opponents teams are playing h definitely will.

The ACC should take this rescheduling exercise as an opportunity to fix problems with the existing schedule.

It sounds like there is a battle between the normal ACC schools and the Magnificent Four regarding how to split up the new found money. Sounds like the normal schools have already agreed some of it will go to reward performance but the M4 are not satisfied.

Guessing they are saying they should get it all regardless of performance because they deserve it. Could see where this kind of attitude ends the whole deal.

Sounds like the M4 schools are playing a really high stakes game of poker. Really hope they do not get their way.
I think (notice it's underlined to indicate pure conjecture) what they'll do is ND will still play Stanford each year but it won't count against the 5 ACC games they're contracted to play.

Nah. Winning at a high breeds viewership. I mean, just look at Clemson. Where were they 20 years ago?

If schools like UNC, VaTech, Miami, SU, win at a high level then large viewership will absolutely follow. And then the media value of the league will increase.

Biden, Gerald Ford and ???, help me with the Stanford grad, Hoover???, Coolidge???
You know I just went back and looked at the list of where presidents went to school, the ACC should consider doing some marketing on this.

Here are the power conference schools with presidential alums: Syracuse, Stanford, Michigan, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, UVA, Cincinnati. So six of eight are in the ACC, and we could end up with Cinci when the dust ultimately settles.

If seven of the eight eventually end up in the ACC, it would be a funny Kenny Mayne style skit or something to jokingly pitch Michigan on leaving the B1G for the ACC so all the schools with presidents are in the same conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom