ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 302 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

College Gameday: Stanford flew 2200 miles to play Hawaii...

... but Syracuse is 2800 miles away...

NewACC! PAC-Zero!
I watched ten minutes of game day this morning and it's brutal.

It's a far cry from what it once was.

College Gameday: Stanford flew 2200 miles to play Hawaii...

... but Syracuse is 2800 miles away...

NewACC! PAC-Zero!

Yeah basically everyone in the top 4 but the SEC made their conference more like the Mountain West.

One important thought on this is that in the ACC's position, the next round of additions has to be about potential and development more than current program stature. Think of it like Moneyball, the ACC isn't the Oakland A's but they're not the Yankees or Red Sox either. The B1G and SEC get to take the most valuable programs because nobody else can offer as much money. Backfilling with the current next best all but guarantees widening the gap.

So basically in 2026-2029, the ACC needs to add the programs that will be the most valuable in 2034-2036. This is why schools like SDSU and Arizona State and Houston interest me. I can see potential in economic/population trends.

This is also why SMU is such a good add, and hopefully Stanford as well (hopefully being in this position lights a fire under their boosters).

Of course the flip side is they can't afford to have many (if any) misses, either.

One important thought on this is that in the ACC's position, the next round of additions has to be about potential and development more than current program stature. Think of it like Moneyball, the ACC isn't the Oakland A's but they're not the Yankees or Red Sox either. The B1G and SEC get to take the most valuable programs because nobody else can offer as much money. Backfilling with the current next best all but guarantees widening the gap.

So basically in 2026-2029, the ACC needs to add the programs that will be the most valuable in 2034-2036. This is why schools like SDSU and Arizona State and Houston interest me. I can see potential in economic/population trends.

This is also why SMU is such a good add, and hopefully Stanford as well (hopefully being in this position lights a fire under their boosters).

Of course the flip side is they can't afford to have many (if any) misses, either.
Predicting the timing of future moves is a fool's errand, but. . .

I think the next major shift will take place close to the expiration date of the Big XII's media deal--2031.

Truthfully, I want it to be 1985 again, but it's not, so this had to be done

Perhaps, we all just need to find that Delorean? ;)

1693666870967.jpeg

I think you are misreading gbo's statement here. Pretty sure he doesn't really want to leave... He's just facing "facts".

Oh I agree. I dig GBO. I don’t think he wants to leave. But Clemson can go. They have an Avenue. It just isn’t happening as of now.

Predicting the timing of future moves is a fool's errand, but. . .

I think the next major shift will take place close to the expiration date of the Big XII's media deal--2031.
Agreed, I think between 2028 and 2031. The next moves by the ACC could come a tad sooner if they decide to go with one or more Mountain West schools with potential.

ESPN added those 3 teams to the ACC because they want to save the ACC. They also want to retain the top 4 value brands in the ACC and prevent a possible exodus of those teams to Fox and the B1G. Now that the ACC has been bolstered I would expect FSU, Clemson, UVA and UNC to go to the SEC. The ACC will then add UConn. They would have liked to add UConn now but probably felt it would have blown up the vote.

I think the ACC is stable for the next few years. In about five years I bet the ACC and ESPN allow for a negotiated settlement to allow 4 ACC schools to go to the SEC since both properties are owned by ESPN. The ACC would then backfill from the big 12 conference (grant of rights finishes in 2031).

The ACC could bolster its western division by adding Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Houston

I didn’t realize the ACC had been in discussions with SMU for over a year about potential membership. And the PAC 12 had targeted them as well. Either an awful lot of people are wrong about that school’s potential or it really has the profile to be a successful P5 program.
Yes, in this NIL world a school that has a ton of billionaire boosters who are hungry for SMU to be a bigtime program again is certainly a school with potential. Rutgers has no potential, they just happen to be in the New York TV market, that’s all they have ever brought to the Big 10, beyond bringing automatic wins for their opponents

Not a week should go by over those 10 years that the ACC doesn't stress to Baylor and TCU that they'd be better off joining.
Makes no sense. The ASU Prez would rather play Kansas St and Iowa State and not real football powers like FSU, Miami and Clemson? Sorry, the Big 12 is a big step down from the ACC. Also, Maybe he’s not aware that WVU is like 90 miles from Pittsburgh. And Central Florida and Cincy are also eastern time zone teams.
If he thinks coming to Syracuse is bad, wait until he has to get to West Virginia.

Agreed, I think between 2028 and 2031. The next moves by the ACC could come a tad sooner if they decide to go with one or more Mountain West schools with potential.
Yeah I wonder if the ACC targets SDSU and Boise to at least have 4 teams in the Pacific/Mountain time zones

If memory serves, MLB began the western expansion with just two teams (Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants). This looks odd now but it sets the table for further growth.

I too wish, in theory, that conferences were strictly geographical but that’s not happening. So as SU fans I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want the ACC to do whatever is necessary to survive. I’m pulling for the ACC to be the third strongest conference when the dust settles.
Actually what should happen next if 2 commissioners want to keep their jobs.
The Big 12 should grab Washington St, and Oregon St.
Then the Big 12 and ACC become one conference and split into divisions.

You didn't like the "Jesus Saves" signs right next to "I came here for the Cocks!"?
This tune always seems to comes to my mind when I see a "Jesus Saves" sign. The lyrics are quite amazing, IMO, especially with the fact it was written by Michael's in his mid twenties.

I drive by the homeless sleepin' on a cold dark street
Like bodies in an open grave
Underneath the broken old neon sign
Used to read "Jesus saves"

A mile away live the rich folk
And I see how they're livin' it up
But while the poor they eat from hand to mouth
The rich are drinkin' from the golden cup

And it just makes me wonder
Why so many lose and so few win, ha
Give me something to believe in (uh, give me something to believe in)
Give me something to believe in (uh, give me something to believe in)
If there's a Lord above

I think the ACC is stable for the next few years. In about five years I bet the ACC and ESPN allow for a negotiated settlement to allow 4 ACC schools to go to the SEC since both properties are owned by ESPN. The ACC would then backfill from the big 12 conference (grant of rights finishes in 2031).

The ACC could bolster its western division by adding Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Houston
I don’t think so

He was visibly sweating profusely

Most likely hungover

And dropped a (game)clox) reference within five minutes of talking

In other words, everything you'd expect from him
ESPN dumps a whole bunch of good talent and pays this clown a ridiculous sum of cash because he is an attention grabbing pee hole. Just shows how stupid a swath of this country is.

Its weird seeing the Big Ten on CBS why the hell did CBS and NBC give that crappy conference in crappy parts of the country big TV deals neither network needed them?

Very good post. And on that basis, I give you Cincinnati. It is a very large state university which over the past 30 years clearly has emerged as the second most important in a large and wealthy state. It is also clearly the #2 school in that state for college sports. OH annually is 5th (behind FL, TX, CA, and GA) in total numbers of D1 football recruits. The Cincinnati TV market itself will produce at least as much football talent as New England and NY combined. Plus, Cincy is already the most played rival of an ACC member (Louisville) in both revenue sports.

Cincy is perfect for development within the ACC.

Its weird seeing the Big Ten on CBS why the hell did CBS and NBC give that crappy conference in crappy parts of the country big TV deals neither network needed them?
The ACC is totally locked down. If we were on the market, I bet both CBS and NBC would have offered more than we now get from Disney, perhaps much more.

ESPN added those 3 teams to the ACC because they want to save the ACC. They also want to retain the top 4 value brands in the ACC and prevent a possible exodus of those teams to Fox and the B1G. Now that the ACC has been bolstered I would expect FSU, Clemson, UVA and UNC to go to the SEC. The ACC will then add UConn. They would have liked to add UConn now but probably felt it would have blown up the vote.
LOL Meanwhile, how much barking is being done down in Alabama today?

LOL Meanwhile, how much barking is being done down in Alabama today?
Phommachanh hurt his knee on the first drive. Didn't have his wheels, like GS in the 2nd half of last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom