ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 304 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Seriously, people think the ACC is top heavy? Well, it is, but so is the Big 10, it sucks beyond the 3 East teams. The Big 10 West is ACC Coastal crappy. I live in Big 10 country and I want to cry, listening to the moron homers
Style of play is awful too. Hoops is rock fights and FB you get garbage like that Nebraska Minnesota game where the winning team had 3 points with 10 mins left. Iowa Illinois Purdue all no better and straight trash to watch.

In NCAA v. Regents… (1984), the Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA could not control television rights. In fact, those rights belong to the schools. Subsequently, the schools made the decision to turn those rights over to the conference in which they were a member. The rest is history. That was the dawn of the era in which we currently reside.

How did the P12 not get deals from CBS and NBC? It was disgusting to see that garbage B1G conference on both networks yesterday for the first time and weird.

Style of play is awful too. Hoops is rock fights and FB you get garbage like that Nebraska Minnesota game where the winning team had 3 points with 10 mins left. Iowa Illinois Purdue all no better and straight trash to watch.
Yeah the entire West is terrible to watch, it’s really just the three Easy teams who are interesting. The four new PAC 12 teams will give them 7 interesting teams at least. And four more teams who will stomp Rutgers

Some VPI fans want out. ;)
The VPI fans must have gotten into the magic mushrooms and hallucinogens, again. VPI didn't deserve their invite in the first place. Selective memory can be a bad thing. Besides, if VPI played football at a high level as they have pretended to do so for decades, maybe the ACC would be making more money. Being a paper tiger the last three decades+ does not warrant the the loony fans of a school to demand an exit that the school does not want (see vote for expansion) and cannot afford.

It does seem that the Boston College leadership doesn't really want to do the necessary things to compete at the P5 level. Like it's below them and their academic mission, and they know they can just freeride at least until 2036, they hope.
Don't be too judgmental, SU had Buzz and Nancy, neither of whom had a real clue or vision for SU sports. Leadership can change and fix that problem. Not that I want BC to rise up.

How did the P12 not get deals from CBS and NBC? It was disgusting to see that garbage B1G conference on both networks yesterday for the first time and weird.
The PAC12 got offers, they rejected the offers. As a whole, they were not the $50MM+ they demanded. Piecemeal with games in the east and central time zones (where the majority of fans are) they became more valuable but most are not worth the $50MM they demanded and are not getting it in their new conferences.

Don't be too judgmental, SU had Buzz and Nancy, neither of whom had a real clue or vision for SU sports. Leadership can change and fix that problem. Not that I want BC to rise up.
That'true, I'm just saying what the rest of the schools in the conference are thinking. To be fair to NC, they did fire Dazz to go with Hafley who they thought was going to be some young coaching savant. It was as ugly yesterday as the days of Grob were for the Orange, that's for sure.

That'true, I'm just saying what the rest of the schools in the conference are thinking. To be fair to NC, they did fire Dazz to go with Hafley who they thought was going to be some young coaching savant. It was as ugly yesterday as the days of Grob were for the Orange, that's for sure.
Having 2 bad Chancellors in a row hurt Syracuse. We were lucky Bragman got State money for the Dome or we might not have a football team.

The PAC12 got offers, they rejected the offers. As a whole, they were not the $50MM+ they demanded. Piecemeal with games in the east and central time zones (where the majority of fans are) they became more valuable but most are not worth the $50MM they demanded and are not getting it in their new conferences.
PAC12 saw B1G get that much money and PAC12 also saw PAC12 is better than B1G last season. So they demand the same amount of money.

This tune always seems to comes to my mind when I see a "Jesus Saves" sign. The lyrics are quite amazing, IMO, especially with the fact it was written by Michael's in his mid twenties.

I drive by the homeless sleepin' on a cold dark street
Like bodies in an open grave
Underneath the broken old neon sign
Used to read "Jesus saves"

A mile away live the rich folk
And I see how they're livin' it up
But while the poor they eat from hand to mouth
The rich are drinkin' from the golden cup

And it just makes me wonder
Why so many lose and so few win, ha
Give me something to believe in (uh, give me something to believe in)
Give me something to believe in (uh, give me something to believe in)
If there's a Lord above
He actually wrote this for his best friend/bodyguard who'd tragically passed away. Bret Michaels and Poison weren't exactly Lennon/McCartney and the Beatles, but this was a well written, very good song.

Just listened to that pathetic tool Paul F spouting off about the ACC taking Stanford, Cal, SMU.
Im not sure what it is about him but his creep factor is through the roof. Does he still live with his Mom?

Just listened to that pathetic tool Paul F spouting off about the ACC taking Stanford, Cal, SMU.
Im not sure what it is about him but his creep factor is through the roof. Does he still live with his Mom?

Most of the expansion conference twitter types sure come across that way.

I am still hoping for the B18 to go to 30 teams with 6 divisions of 5 (which brings regionality and logic back) and the SEC goes to 20 teams with 4 divisions of 5. They have their own conference playoff with the champs playing each other in the NCG.

I think SU makes the cut in that case. So in FB we would play Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland every year and 2 teams from Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, UVA every year. Then one team each from the old Eastern B10, old Western B10, the B12s, and the PACs. In BBall we play Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland home and away, plus Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, UVA yearly. Then 2 teams from each of the other divisions.

BT is boring play in both sports. And always overrated. ALWAYS. That's what huge money does: you can use to prop yourself up and get away with endless pretending.

Most of the expansion conference twitter types sure come across that way.
Finebaum is and always has been a tool of the worst sort. The catch is that now he is a tool of ESPN as much as of the SEC, so when he gets nasty of snarky, he is expressing what the SEC wants expressed and ESPN is at least OK with being expressed.

The SEC knows that BT football never can be threat to SEC football - unless the BT became significantly Southern with a whole bunch of ACC teams. The SEC knows that while the ACC cannot ever be a threat to supplant SEC football, it can compete with it at the top. So should the ACC get stabilized at full strength, and see SMU use NIL to load up on major TX talent, then the ACC could regularly have steam in National Championship Game. If ND were to go full football, then the SCC would become a serious thorn in the SEC's side. And since the SEC started having commissioned who think like Gilded Age Robber Barons, the SECacts like the BT to act to prevent any competition. So Fienbaum is preaching that the ACC soon must get gutted.

I am still hoping for the B18 to go to 30 teams with 6 divisions of 5 (which brings regionality and logic back) and the SEC goes to 20 teams with 4 divisions of 5. They have their own conference playoff with the champs playing each other in the NCG.

I think SU makes the cut in that case. So in FB we would play Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland every year and 2 teams from Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, UVA every year. Then one team each from the old Eastern B10, old Western B10, the B12s, and the PACs. In BBall we play Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland home and away, plus Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, UVA yearly. Then 2 teams from each of the other divisions.
thats not conf realignment, thats football breaking away from the NCAA and their own Olympic Sports.

something i am 110% in favor of.

stregthen the academics to play football and you have the only minor league in the world providing its minor leaguers an education.

This Orlando Sentinel column by Mike Bianchi nails why college realignment is utter madness and administrators are chasing dollars they don’t need out of fear they’ll be left behind.

To quote:
It’s no secret why the ACC added this underwhelming trio; it’s because all three schools were willing to give up all or some of their TV revenue — money that the existing ACC teams will then be able to divide among themselves. In other words, the ACC added three desperate new members just so existing league teams could bleed them dry of their TV revenue.

It’s all part of the belief among college administrators that they need more and more and more money to compete with their rivals. As Florida AD Scott Stricklin told me recently about the mentality in today’s college football, “There’s nothing you won’t spend to get the best players and best people to come to your program.”

But if money is all that matters, then the Gators would beat FSU every single season because, well, the Gators have always had a significantly bigger athletic budget than the Seminoles. If money is all that matters, the Texas Longhorns — traditionally among the top two revenue producers in college athletics — would be competing for national titles most every season. The Longhorns, who have won more than eight games only once in the last nine years, bring in about $35 million more per year than Georgia, which has won back-to-back national titles.

Do athletic programs really need to make $250 million a year in revenue when $200 million or — gasp! — $150 million would suffice? As Bud Fox asked greedy billionaire Gordon Gekko in the classic movie Wall Street: “How much is enough? How many yachts can you water-ski behind?”

Florida State as more than enough money to compete for national championships. In the end, college football is about hiring a good coach, giving him decent resources, having a modicum of patience and letting him recruit and develop talent. That’s what’s the Seminoles did with Norvell, whose recruiting and work in the transfer portal has paid off handsomely.

This Orlando Sentinel column by Mike Bianchi nails why college realignment is utter madness and administrators are chasing dollars they don’t need out of fear they’ll be left behind.

To quote:
It’s no secret why the ACC added this underwhelming trio; it’s because all three schools were willing to give up all or some of their TV revenue — money that the existing ACC teams will then be able to divide among themselves. In other words, the ACC added three desperate new members just so existing league teams could bleed them dry of their TV revenue.

It’s all part of the belief among college administrators that they need more and more and more money to compete with their rivals. As Florida AD Scott Stricklin told me recently about the mentality in today’s college football, “There’s nothing you won’t spend to get the best players and best people to come to your program.”

But if money is all that matters, then the Gators would beat FSU every single season because, well, the Gators have always had a significantly bigger athletic budget than the Seminoles. If money is all that matters, the Texas Longhorns — traditionally among the top two revenue producers in college athletics — would be competing for national titles most every season. The Longhorns, who have won more than eight games only once in the last nine years, bring in about $35 million more per year than Georgia, which has won back-to-back national titles.

Do athletic programs really need to make $250 million a year in revenue when $200 million or — gasp! — $150 million would suffice? As Bud Fox asked greedy billionaire Gordon Gekko in the classic movie Wall Street: “How much is enough? How many yachts can you water-ski behind?”

Florida State as more than enough money to compete for national championships. In the end, college football is about hiring a good coach, giving him decent resources, having a modicum of patience and letting him recruit and develop talent. That’s what’s the Seminoles did with Norvell, whose recruiting and work in the transfer portal has paid off handsomely.
I agree the schools are greedy and causing much of the expansion nonsense. However, the networks could also be less greedy and have kept the conferences as they were had they wanted to and been less greedy. The networks make a lot of money, too.

I agree the schools are greedy and causing much of the expansion nonsense. However, the networks could also be less greedy and have kept the conferences as they were had they wanted to and been less greedy. The networks make a lot of money, too.
The networks fund all of this. It should horrify people that ESPN and Fox were so outraged that the Pac told them they felt they were badly undervalued that the two networks decided to freeze out the pac, which set up the 108 year old conference of death.

The networks fund all of this. It should horrify people that ESPN and Fox were so outraged that the Pac told them they felt they were badly undervalued that the two networks decided to freeze out the pac, which set up the 108 year old conference of death.

Nobody undervalued the PAC, maybe they could have gotten a little more but they weren’t worth that much as a conference. They were offered what the market was for them at the time. Also considering, none of the big networks needed another conference in their portfolio.

While I agree with your sentiments, the fact remains both networks did make offers. Whether the offers were too low-balled and whether the PAC overestimated their value based on generated revenue/viewership both remain debatable as we will likely never see the data. Neither network nor the streamers believed the PAC to be worth the $50MM/team they demanded.

Like so much in life, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom