ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 328 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

They need us.

The whole reason why CFB works is there are 70+ "P5" teams, which makes CFB a national sport.

CFB relies upon ad revenue. And advertisers want lots of eyeballs on their commercials.

IF ESPN opts for a "P2" and relegates 40 teams to the kiddie table, most of the country won't watch.

No viewers, no eyeballs.

No eyeballs, no more ad revenue.

And the pyramid collapses.
Big Ten isn’t P2 worthy they are in the same ballpark as the ACC and the Big 12.

It’s the SEC and then the 50 schools in the other 3 conferences and then 1 school from all the rest. The SEC is gettting the most into the field of 12 regardless there will be years us and the Big 12 have more teams than the Big Ten.

I’d love this Big 12 conference when the ACC implodes. BC WF SMU left out…

BIG 12 EAST
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia Tech

NC State
Duke
Georgia Tech
UCF
Houston
TCU

BIG 12 WEST
Kansas (Big 10)
Iowa St
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Baylor
BYU

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona St
California
Stanford

Last edited:
I’d love this Big 12 conference when the ACC implodes.

BIG 12 EAST
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia Tech

NC State
Duke
Georgia Tech
UCF
Houston
TCU

BIG 12 WEST
Kansas (Big 10)
Iowa St
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Baylor
BYU

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona St
California
Stanford

Do you want to tell them that only 16 out of 24 teams will make the Basketball Tournament, or should I?

The ship hit the fan. FSU not getting in the playoffs was the last straw. The teams that have the option to get in the B1G/SEC are going to move whatever it takes. This is going to be good theater. Hope the Cuse has enough chips to get into the Big 12.
All due respect, but...that's just silly.
There's no imminent change on the horizon, and last I checked FSU, Clemson et al still have this little thing called a GOR that's in place.
That WVU numbskull has run his schtick for over a decade now, and he has a track record of always being wrong.
Dollars to donuts, and $100 bucks says nothing changes and the ACC will be in this same position, same structure, same disgruntled members, a year from now.

I’d love this Big 12 conference when the ACC implodes. BC WF SMU left out…

BIG 12 EAST
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Virginia Tech

NC State
Duke
Georgia Tech
UCF
Houston
TCU

BIG 12 WEST
Kansas (Big 10)
Iowa St
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Baylor
BYU

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona St
California
Stanford
Does CBS want to make this happen and go up against FOX and ESPN?

Funniest part is if this happens, this is another win for the SEC/B1G, because it's one less auto bid they'll have to give away. They'll get even closer to the full breakaway with 11 SEC/B1G teams and the conference champ of the Big 12. It's actually a fairly big strategic mistake from the remaining schools to collapse down to one third conference sooner than they have to... which makes me think it won't happen yet.

The ship hit the fan. FSU not getting in the playoffs was the last straw. The teams that have the option to get in the B1G/SEC are going to move whatever it takes. This is going to be good theater. Hope the Cuse has enough chips to get into the Big 12.
The Big XII didn't get anyone in either, Texas having one foot out the door.

To use a hypothetical--if the rankings next year were the same as this year, there would be 5 SEC, 5 B1G, a G5, and FSU.

So why would all of those ACC orphans be sniffing around the Big XII?

NCAA - no, no, this is not a pyramid scheme!

Our model is based on the trapezoid.
The NCAA has nothing to do with this. After the Supreme Court cases in 1984, Inida-noplace gets a grand total of $0.00 each and every season, just like clockwork, from FBS football.

The Big XII didn't get anyone in either, Texas having one foot out the door.

To use a hypothetical--if the rankings next year were the same as this year, there would be 5 SEC, 5 B1G, a G5, and FSU.

So why would all of those ACC orphans be sniffing around the Big XII?
IF, FSU, UNC, UVA and Clemson left the ACC it would be dead. If the remaining teams joined with the Big 12 it would be stronger than the 2 are separately. What's the alternative, back fill the ACC with some AAC teams, that would make it weaker. That 24 team conference would be strong enough to get some decent share.

IF, FSU, UNC, UVA and Clemson left the ACC it would be dead. If the remaining teams joined with the Big 12 it would be stronger than the 2 are separately. What's the alternative, back fill the ACC with some AAC teams, that would make it weaker. That 24 team conference would be strong enough to get some decent share.
You need to make that "IF" much, much bigger.

And, of course, should that happen, you might see a merger, not the ACC schools going hat-in-hand to the Big XII.

the fact that FSU goes undefeated and gets snubbed tells you how much current respect the ACC has.

You need to make that "IF" much, much bigger.

And, of course, should that happen, you might see a merger, not the ACC schools going hat-in-hand to the Big XII.
I think it's pretty apparent that the B1G and the SEC will gobble up most of the playoff spots as well as the revenue. That is putting added impetus behind a breakup.

the fact that FSU goes undefeated and gets snubbed tells you how much current respect the ACC has.
FSU's exclusion is not based upon what conference they play in. If they were in the Big XII or PAC-12 and the same circumstances applied, they would have been excluded. That should be the situation if they were in the SEC or B1G, although I doubt that's how it would play out.

The committee did not dis the ACC. Actually, it is FSU that dissed the ACC, so maybe karma is a bitch.

FSU's exclusion is not based upon what conference they play in. If they were in the Big XII or PAC-12 and the same circumstances applied, they would have been excluded. That should be the situation if they were in the SEC or B1G, although I doubt that's how it would play out.

The committee did not dis the ACC. Actually, it is FSU that dissed the ACC, so maybe karma is a bitch.
I don't feel sorry for FSU

I think what everybody is upset about is if Michigan was playing their 2nd or 3rd string QB they would still get in.

I think it's pretty apparent that the B1G and the SEC will gobble up most of the playoff spots as well as the revenue. That is putting added impetus behind a breakup.
I doubt they ever have more than 7 between them.

The question is will any of the other teams actually win playoff games vs the SEC so we don’t have to watch all SEC matchups in the semis and finals.

Going to 12 teams and losing a conference will make all of them happy if you have 3 legit top 10 teams they will all get in. ACC typically struggles to have more than 1 though.

I don't feel sorry for FSU

I think what everybody is upset about is if Michigan was playing their 2nd or 3rd string QB they would still get in.
And then you have Texas, ranked below FSU in the penultimate poll AFTER Travis was injured. They beat a team ranked lower than Louisville yet somehow miraculously vault over FSU in the final poll. Why? Because you can't put a one loss Alabama in w/o also putting in the one loss team that beat Bama on its home field.
You also have the selection show with Herbstreit (who knows who's in) defensively arguing Bama's case before the results are announced. Also one of the ESPN hosts angrily taking on Booger for suggesting Bama's selection resulted from the SEC's reputation and tv wanting better matchups.
The whole thing has a level of integrity approaching that of the WWWF.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom