ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

You show this like this is a bad thing. No longer any stigma w/ giving out bags, its actually an asset. Guaranteed he’s got a boatload of UTexas NIL deals lined up!
All due respect but this is how the game is played now, how the big boys do it. SU either starts to “get it” or we get left behind.

SU gets it. The public doesn’t. And SU’s not going to cheat.

I fully feel like I'm watching this sport on borrowed time.
Every time I read something by one of the BT or SEC fanboys of MoreMoney, or by someone clearly working for the interests of ESPN/Disney or Fox Sports, I have the sinking feeling that that borrowed time might be very short.

Super greed that is not checked always means ever nastier plays for monopoly, because monopoly guarantees the most and easiest money.

I fully feel like I'm watching this sport on borrowed time.
College football as we know it today is, indeed, on borrowed time. A quantum change is coming. Each person will have to decide for themself how to react when, not "if", that change happens. whether it's viewed as good or bad will be in the eye of the beholder. IMO it will be "bad, but inevitable."

If Ewers lights it up this year does he decommit and go somewhere else or just sit for a year?

Texas with a bad coach their first couple seasons in the SEC is a recipe for disaster.

College football as we know it today is, indeed, on borrowed time. A quantum change is coming. Each person will have to decide for themself how to react when, not "if", that change happens. whether it's viewed as good or bad will be in the eye of the beholder. IMO it will be "bad, but inevitable."

What more can change there are only 2-3 teams who can win it every year? It can only go one direction in terms of parity from here.

ACC is pretty wide open especially with the Clemson implosion both our programs can win 10 games in a good year and beat anyone in the conference. That good year results in being 1 of the 2 non SEC playoff teams if the stars align and you get the joy of losing to Bama 50-0. I'm not sure how a fan of either program honestly expects more.

Football is untouchable in terms of its popularity as a spectator sport. CFB might lose a little ground to the NFL going forward but it won't be that much. There is no AAA for the NFL its a perfect developmental league too and the NIL developments cement that status. Unless President 45 decides to get back into sports team ownership and buys an XFL or USFL team and tanks the league single handedly again moving games to the fall there is no threat coming to CFB.

What more can change there are only 2-3 teams who can win it every year? It can only go one direction in terms of parity from here.

ACC is pretty wide open especially with the Clemson implosion both our programs can win 10 games in a good year and beat anyone in the conference. That good year results in being 1 of the 2 non SEC playoff teams if the stars align and you get the joy of losing to Bama 50-0. I'm not sure how a fan of either program honestly expects more.

Football is untouchable in terms of its popularity as a spectator sport. CFB might lose a little ground to the NFL going forward but it won't be that much. There is no AAA for the NFL its a perfect developmental league too and the NIL developments cement that status. Unless President 45 decides to get back into sports team ownership and buys an XFL or USFL team and tanks the league single handedly again moving games to the fall there is no threat coming to CFB.
Yes, only a few teams can win the national championship, however, the landscape is going to change with pay for play because there will be a group of teams who are going to make real what is now virtual; they will not require their players to go to class. When that happens, IMO, all the conferences will implode as schools which do require their players to go to class will refuse to play the teams that don't. How many present ACC schools will want to play a Clemson or Miami that doesn't make its players go to class when they do? Will Vanderbilt want to stay in the SEC when just about all of them won't require class attendance? How about Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue in the B1G?

All these people who come up with conglomerations of 64 team divided into X number of pods or expanding the playoffs to Y number of teams are wasting their time because there aren't going to be 64 teams competing at the highest level or Y number of teams in a playoff. It will be more like 20, tops, in the monster league with the remainder existing in a state between D-1AA and that 20. The joke will be on the fans of that 20 because they all think they aren't going to be the team that loses when someone has to because of overtime in the regular season. And, as far as attractiveness to TV is concerned, as one of the SU posters here noted, which Week 10 game would be more attractive to viewers 3-6 Alabama vs. 2-7 Texas or 9-0 Pitt vs. 8-1 UVa?

Last edited:
Yes, only a few teams can win the national championship, however, the landscape is going to change with pay for play because there will be a group of teams who are going to make real what is now virtual; they will not require their players to go to class. When that happens, IMO, all the conferences will implode as schools which do require their players to go to class will refuse to play the teams that don't. How many present ACC schools will want to play a Clemson or Miami that doesn't make its players go to class when they do? Will Vanderbilt want to stay in the SEC when just about all of them won't require class attendance? How about Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue in the B1G?

All these people who come up with conglomerations of 64 team divided into X number of pods or expanding the playoffs to Y number of teams are wasting their time because there aren't going to be 64 teams competing at the highest level or Y number of teams in a playoff. It will be more like 20, tops, in the monster league with the remainder existing in a state between D-1AA and that 20. The joke will be on the fans of that 20 because they all think they aren't going to be the team that loses when someone has to because of overtime in the regular season. And, as far as attractiveness to TV is concerned, as one of the SU posters here noted, which Week 10 game would be more attractive to viewers 3-6 Alabama vs. 2-7 Texas or 9-0 Pitt vs. 8-1 UVa?
One (major) change: 9-0 SU vs. 8-1 UVa.

And SU’s not going to cheat.
Well, history belies that assertion. You could argue that they didn't cheat as badly as others, and I would agree with that, but they kept a twice guilty violator, and it wasn't because of his sparkling personality.

Well, history belies that assertion. You could argue that they didn't cheat as badly as others, and I would agree with that, but they kept a twice guilty violator, and it wasn't because of his sparkling personality.

I’ll rephrase it. JW’s not going allow SU to cheat.

This deal makes sense for all of the parties.
ESPN gets content and a time period that it needs. PAC and ACC get additional revenue.
PAC and ACC cultures are a better fit than Big or SEC.
I believe this will happen. It will most likely begin with cross conference games and possibly a championship contest between the conference winners.
It has the potential to become a merger.

ESPN gets content and a time period that it needs. PAC and ACC get additional revenue.
I believe this will happen. It will most likely begin with cross conference games and possibly a championship contest between the conference winners.
Bring it on. Rather see this, than us ending up without a chair, or joining the Big12. Possible games closer to me too. Championship game rotates between Raiders' stadium in Vegas, and Panthers' stadium in Charlotte.

Another thought on the merger. If you look at the viewership of a combined ACC and PAC i believe it is the largest by a considerable amount between all of the conferences including the Big with NY

Long Live the APCC!

This is about a TV merger, not a conference merger.
Of course, it is. It's all about eyes and the corresponding dollars at this point. I actually think that the ACC and PAC are going to be in very good shape in a few years as the streaming giants are going to continue to take over cable and they will be very hungry for content. We will most likely stay in third place, but I can see the ACC getting to 60 million plus within a few years. Also, the winners of the ACC, the championship game with the PAC and making the playoff will most likely be awarded a disproportionate share of those monies.

At this point the GOR is doing its job. Im confident the ACC will end up as the third conference and be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom