ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Of course, it is. It's all about eyes and the corresponding dollars at this point. I actually think that the ACC and PAC are going to be in very good shape in a few years as the streaming giants are going to continue to take over cable and they will be very hungry for content. We will most likely stay in third place, but I can see the ACC getting to 60 million plus within a few years. Also, the winners of the ACC, the championship game with the PAC and making the playoff will most likely be awarded a disproportionate share of those monies.

At this point the GOR is doing its job. Im confident the ACC will end up as the third conference and be fine.
That 3rd Conference behind the B1G and SEC is the crucial point. Right now, it's looking like the Big12 is going to snatch that position. If, the Big12 is more proactive; and, grabs say, the Arizona schools, along with Colorado and Utah, could signal death knell for Pac; leaving this merger option with ACC moot.
Honestly, I could see us, Pitt, Bc, and Louisville joining the Big12 in 10 years. Hello, Mountaineers!

Of course, it is. It's all about eyes and the corresponding dollars at this point. I actually think that the ACC and PAC are going to be in very good shape in a few years as the streaming giants are going to continue to take over cable and they will be very hungry for content. We will most likely stay in third place, but I can see the ACC getting to 60 million plus within a few years. Also, the winners of the ACC, the championship game with the PAC and making the playoff will most likely be awarded a disproportionate share of those monies.

At this point the GOR is doing its job. Im confident the ACC will end up as the third conference and be fine.
Big 10 has NYC, LA, and Chicago as core markets.

If the Big12 does grab the Arizona schools, along with Utah and Colorado. ACC should immediately offer admission to Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal. Sorry, Beavers and Cougs.
Go to a pod system:
West - Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal + Notre Dame
East - Syracuse/BC/Louisville/Pitt/West Virginia
MidEast - UVa/UNC/Duke/NCState/Wake
SouthEast - VT/Clemson/GT/FSU/Miami
That conference will have some cash potential.

I was struggling to see how the math would work and not only keep the existing schools whole, but add to their amount (why bother just to break even).

Notre Dame? Sure. It's one school and carries its weight (and then some).

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal? Nice names, but that's a lot of extra money to bring in.

Just wasn't sure how much leverage the Big 10 had in the TV bidding war.

That 3rd Conference behind the B1G and SEC is the crucial point. Right now, it's looking like the Big12 is going to snatch that position. If, the Big12 is more proactive; and, grabs say, the Arizona schools, along with Colorado and Utah, could signal death knell for Pac; leaving this merger option with ACC moot.
Honestly, I could see us, Pitt, Bc, and Louisville joining the Big12 in 10 years. Hello, Mountaineers!
Big12 is deadman walking, IMO.
They’ve made a few moves but nothing earth-shattering , & i don’t see PAC schools scrambling to join as long as an ACC option may be on the table.
ACC simply has the better name schools especially w/ the UT/OU departure. And w/ the GOR, the ACC is also better protected for the time being.
But i do agree, we can’t stand pat as stuff happens around us, which unfortunately is atypical ACC CR behavior.

Last edited:
Big12 is deadman walking, IMO.
They’ve made a few moves but nothing earthshaking, & i don’t see PAC schools scrambling to join as long as an ACC option may be on the table.
ACC simply has the better name schools especially w/ the UT/OU departure. And w/ the GOR, the ACC is also better protected for the time being.
I agree. The scenario which SU joins Big12 down the line would be if ACC gets raided by B1G and SEC. Big12 becomes, basically, the Island of Misfit Programs. Advantages for the Big12; football culture schools, centrally positioned to expand both East and West.

The operarive phrase there is "total conference revenue". The B1G keeps floating numbers and 3veryone assumes the TV rights are the total payout. However, the total payout includes all revenues (bowl games, Hoops tourney, and most importantly when considering B1G revenue, half the gate revue of all home games. The B1G shares half the gate revenue so it goes into the pot, then gets slip and boosts the shares. This is one reason the SEC doesn't mind being in 2nd place, the math is not always the same, all SEC teams keep their own gate revenue, it does not get added to the conference payout.

The better barometer for measuring the ACC deal is the SEC deal as it is the most similar. The ACC still has a ways to go.

I have a stupid question. If the ACC and PAC merge, media purposes, does that entice both LA teams to stay or even one to stay?

Another thought on the merger. If you look at the viewership of a combined ACC and PAC i believe it is the largest by a considerable amount between all of the conferences including the Big with NY
Not without SC and UCLA. Pac football viewing was already 5th behind the others of the P5, and lacking the 2 LA schools, it will plummet. The newest Big 12 will have more viewers than the Pac minus SC and UCLA - unless, perhaps, the Pac gets wise and adds BYU.

The operarive phrase there is "total conference revenue". The B1G keeps floating numbers and 3veryone assumes the TV rights are the total payout. However, the total payout includes all revenues (bowl games, Hoops tourney, and most importantly when considering B1G revenue, half the gate revue of all home games. The B1G shares half the gate revenue so it goes into the pot, then gets slip and boosts the shares. This is one reason the SEC doesn't mind being in 2nd place, the math is not always the same, all SEC teams keep their own gate revenue, it does not get added to the conference payout.

The better barometer for measuring the ACC deal is the SEC deal as it is the most similar. The ACC still has a ways to go.

That applies more to Cal and Stanford. If you notice the tweet was about adding all 4. That doesn't mean that is the same case for just Oregon and Washington. The B1G won't tip their hand. UW is above average in attendance compared to the rest of the B1G and Oregon is average. They both add good FB brands and new markets. They also cut travel for the B1G and USC/UCLA. They might not add more value but they should be able to at worst break even by adding the 2 schools. The travel benefit of adding Western partners will be worth it for everyone. Oh and they are both AAU which will help with the academic charade.

That applies more to Cal and Stanford. If you notice the tweet was about adding all 4. That doesn't mean that is the same case for just Oregon and Washington. The B1G won't tip their hand. UW is above average in attendance compared to the rest of the B1G and Oregon is average. They both add good FB brands and new markets. They also cut travel for the B1G and USC/UCLA. They might not add more value but they should be able to at worst break even by adding the 2 schools. The travel benefit of adding Western partners will be worth it for everyone. Oh and they are both AAU which will help with the academic charade.
My point was about the very large conference payout the B1G is projected to receive and how it is inflated by the fact that they share gate revenue, not about the other PAC schools. The post stated that the total payout was projected to end up around $80-100MM/team, Not the TV deal. The TV deal is far less that the payout.

The TV deal + bowl revenue + NACC Tourney revenue + Other revenue + 1/2 GATE REVENUE/members = payout.

The B1G is the only conference to share gate revenue and it inflates the conference payout, significantly.

To your point, Fox likely does not believe they are getting $80-100MM with the other four, it's not hard to believe as none of them are brands in the sense that USC and UCLA are brands. None of them has an east coast following and little west coast following, they are not ratings draws. Oregon and Washington are relative newcomers. Stanford and Cal have had a couple of highs but mostly lows in the major sports.

As to travel, travel isn't that much more expensive from LA to B1G territory than LA to WA/OR, and with the new money, it simply isn't important enough to bring in two other mouths to feed. Plus, 18 is a weird number for a conference, just saying.

I have a stupid question. If the ACC and PAC merge, media purposes, does that entice both LA teams to stay or even one to stay?
Guessing zero chance of that happening.

Big 10 has NYC, LA, and Chicago as core markets.
this is the Led Zeppelin model, they figured this shlit out in 1972.

thats where you want to be.

theyd rent out floors of a hotel in each city, divide the tour into 3 legs and fly out the afternoon of that night's concert to whatever city...then fly back to the respective hub city after.

genius.

this is the Led Zeppelin model, they figured this shlit out in 1972.

thats where you want to be.

theyd rent out floors of a hotel in each city, divide the tour into 3 legs and fly out the afternoon of that night's concert to whatever city...then fly back to the respective hub city after.

genius.
Big Stick for commisioner

Shouldn’t it be Four Sticks
The Ocean is more apropos...

we've done 4 already, but now we're steady and then they went 1...2...3...4...

This is a chance for the ACC and PAC to solidify any alliance they’ve been thinking about, because now it’s clear espn will need the content.
The danger here is that espn might decide to merge the PAC and Big12, since the ACC is locked in for another 12+ years anyway. If they go that route, then clearly the ACC is last among conferences.
The ACC needs to push the PAC coast-to-coast alliance & then hope ESPN opens the wallet for a new deal.
One good thing is that ND has no ties to any Big12 teams out there, so if espn thinks ND may pull they trigger on independence at some point, the likely bet is it’d be with a ACC/PAC alliance rather than the Big 12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom