ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Their is no way the contract says keep the ACC in line with other conferences.
The SEC got paid because it’s content was desired in open bidding.

The ACC look-ins aren’t going to compensate them for other conferences value.
Espn will want consideration for more money.
The Look-ins were required because the ACC knew the value would go up over time while ESPN knew they needed a huge cash investment to start the ACCN. To get then duration for ESPN to recoup costs and to ensure the ACC was not locked into a ridiculously low contract,.the Look-ins were agreed upon.

If you have better I formation, please share it.

The Look-ins were required because the ACC knew the value would go up over time while ESPN knew they needed a huge cash investment to start the ACCN. To get then duration for ESPN to recoup costs and to ensure the ACC was not locked into a ridiculously low contract,.the Look-ins were agreed upon.

If you have better I formation, please share it.
The Look-ins allow the ACC and ESPN to sit down and determine if the contract is out of line for either side.
There is no way the ACC can do anything to force ESPN to pay more. They probably got espn/Disney to get ACCN on more cable outlets.
That is what is happening now.
ESPN isn’t just going to give the conference more money.
The contract is also backloaded. The payouts are higher the later in the contract.

GREENSBORO, NC & ROSEMONT, IL & SAN FRANCISCO, CA – The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 today announced an historic alliance that will bring 41 world-class institutions together on a collaborative approach surrounding the future evolution of college athletics and scheduling.

The alliance – which was unanimously supported by the presidents, chancellors and athletics directors at all 41 institutions – will be guided in all cases by a commitment to, and prioritization of, supporting student-athlete well-being, academic and athletic opportunities, experiences and diverse educational programming. The three conferences are grounded in their support of broad-based athletic programs, the collegiate model and opportunities for student-athletes as part of the educational missions of the institutions.

The three conferences remain competitors in every sense but are committed to collaborating and providing thought leadership on various opportunities and challenges facing college athletics, including:
• Student-athlete mental and physical health, safety, wellness and support
• Strong academic experience and support
• Diversity, equity and inclusion
• Social justice
• Gender equity
• Future structure of the NCAA
• Federal legislative efforts
• Postseason championships and future formats

The alliance includes a scheduling component for football and women’s and men’s basketball designed to create new inter-conference games, enhance opportunities for student-athletes, and optimize the college athletics experience for both student-athletes and fans across the country. The scheduling alliance will begin as soon as practical while honoring current contractual obligations. A working group comprised of athletic directors representing the three conferences will oversee the scheduling component of the alliance, including determining the criteria upon which scheduling decisions will be made. All three leagues and their respective institutions understand that scheduling decisions will be an evolutionary process given current scheduling commitments.

The football scheduling alliance will feature additional attractive matchups across the three conferences while continuing to honor historic rivalries and the best traditions of college football.

In women’s and men’s basketball, the three conferences will add early and mid-season games as well as annual events that feature premier matchups between the three leagues.

The three conferences will also explore opportunities for the vast and exceptional Olympic Sports programs to compete more frequently and forge additional attractive and meaningful rivalries.

The future scheduling component will benefit student-athletes and fans by offering new and memorable experiences that will extend coast-to-coast, across all time zones. The competition will bring a new level of excitement to the fans of the 41 schools while also allowing teams and conferences to have flexibility to continue to play opponents from other conferences, independents and various teams from other subdivisions.

Not that I expected a lot of info since this hasn’t been worked on very long. This is pretty weak, especially considering the playoff expansion doesn’t seem to be an issue. All this is, is, “hey we’re going to schedule more games together”. Who the ___ cares, they could do that without pretending to have an agreement between the conferences

ND also has to fight the, “be rated preseason regardless of whether or not there is good reason to be” issue and the “player x gets Heisman consideration whether he deserves it or not” issue. It must be hell having to overcome those obstacles.

It needs to be 8, not 12. Champs of P4 get auto bids. Best team from among the now G6 gets in every year. 3 at large, with no more than 2 from any conference.

Agreed needs to be 8. Baffles the mind that they would ever have gone from saying "We can only do 4 because of academics ' to...one more week? Lets add 2!

I cant remember ever thinking that a team ranked #12 got robbed.

Seems like the first step in reconstituting the NCAA as a whole. The existing governing body has failed badly in its mission, and left to its own devices, the SEC would destroy everything in its quest for profit.

This is a sane response to at least pretending to care about academics, fair competition, and the needs of student athletes.

The Look-ins allow the ACC and ESPN to sit down and determine if the contract is out of line for either side.
There is no way the ACC can do anything to force ESPN to pay more. They probably got espn/Disney to get ACCN on more cable outlets.
That is what is happening now.
ESPN isn’t just going to give the conference more money.
The contract is also backloaded. The payouts are higher the later in the contract.
Respectfully, I disagree. The Look-ins are more significant than you imply and allow for the increases to ensure the ACC is not an easy target for other conferences to recruit. ESPN must bargain fairly, the look-in is the time frame in which to do so. Any unfair bargaining on ESPN's part is a breach. Likewise, any unfair bargaining by the ACC is a breach.

Both sides will present their positions, the ACC for a larger amount crease and ESPN for a limited increase. Both sides will use hard numbers and each an fair market value. If one side tries too hard to beat the other down, they can breach the agreement. The ACC has more leverage because ESPN orchestrated the move of UT and OU to the SEC (ESPN has a stake in the LHN). This, any overly aggressive stance by ESPN can easily be I interpreted as interference. ESPN and ACC lawyers are well aware of all the facts and their is little likely to be discussed in the public eye.

Anyway, if you have other information, I will be happy to review it. Your opinions are just that, opinions. I respect your opinions and the opinions of others.* I disagree with many opinions, like your opinion that ESPN can rake the ACC over the coals (my words, not yours).

*I cannot guarantee I respect the opinions of Rutgers. Usually, I don't.

Sounds like J Wildhack is one of the ADs working on scheduling and strategy. I THINK I feel a little more secure on our future to be part of things. I did believe the SEC had ruined college football just a weeks ago. It sounds like it's a total combative relationship between the alliance and the SEC.

Not that I expected a lot of info since this hasn’t been worked on very long. This is pretty weak, especially considering the playoff expansion doesn’t seem to be an issue. All this is, is, “hey we’re going to schedule more games together”. Who the ___ cares, they could do that without pretending to have an agreement between the conferences
The real takeaway is that they are looking at proper governance. The playoffs were merely the impetus to start talking. The real substance is in isolating the SEC on academics and practices. Forty-one schools of the 65 in the P5(4) pool is a significant majority. Since the P5(4) have autonomy, they can pretty much do whatever they agree upon.

The real takeaway is that they are looking at proper governance. The playoffs were merely the impetus to start talking. The real substance is in isolating the SEC on academics and practices. Forty-one schools of the 65 in the P5(4) pool is a significant majority. Since the P5(4) have autonomy, they can pretty much do whatever they agree upon.

I don’t disagree with that which is why forever ago I was saying these 3 conferences needed to find common ground to combat the SEC. But to all say they want to increase the playoffs to 12 teams, that’s exactly what the SEC wants. And what is to prevent the SEC from attempting to poach good schools from any of these conferences. I realize that’s a much tougher ask with each conference in different GOR’s and Tv contracts but right now this alliance has no power. It can’t prevent being poached and it doesn’t do anything to stop the SEC from getting more than any other conference in to the playoffs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom