ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 163 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I can't tell which poster responding to me is talking about who, or why I was even quoted. Be specific here, people!
you asked about who said what where in post #4044

Talk is if ACC falls apart or is severely weakened with up to 8 teams going to the Big 10 and SEC for two mega leagues. The Big 12 will be the 3rd conference but that will last only so far. The Big 10 and SEC will edge them out eventually. Thus, Big 12 ironically needs ACC to survive.

Talk is if ACC falls apart or is severely weakened with up to 8 teams going to the Big 10 and SEC for two mega leagues. The Big 12 will be the 3rd conference but that will last only so far. The Big 10 and SEC will edge them out eventually. Thus, Big 12 ironically needs ACC to survive.
The Big 12 will absorb the teams that the SEC and B1G don't take except for Wake and BC.

Stanford, Cal, SMU, combo looks like the best/only option for any expansion at this point.

It would require an adjustment to permanent rivals from 3 to 2 to make a clean football rotation(2-7-7) but you would still see your other members every other year. I know some were unhappy with their 3rd perm rival so this seems like a no brainer.
For basketball, it isn't that hard to amend as you can just decrease the repeat H/A opponents
For other Olympic sports there are ways to help the west flank on the added travel.
In just ACCN distributions each member should get a bump of 4 to 5 million for in state members for California and Texas. The Stanford- ND game moving to 1/2 time ACC controlled game should be worth a bump as well of a million or two per school
Could do partial shares with it getting higher every year starting at around 20 mil per each for the remainder of the contract and use that money towards unequal distribution based on performance/viewership.

Last edited:
Stanford Cal San Diego state and SMU are teams that i think add value.
and the only other team that makes any sense would be Navy as it would be another 1/2 game under acc control from ND

I’ve read that the ACC is a non profit in NC and NC only requires a majority of parties to vote to dissolve a non profit. That would be the reasoning that a majority could dissolve the conference irrespective of what the bylaws say.

That is false. Stop believing internet folklore.

I’m not a legal expert, so bear with me here. But the GOR agreement that I saw was between the schools and the ACC. The ESPN media agreement was referenced but ESPN was not party or signatory to the GOR. So the ESPN agreement is a separate contract between ESPN and the ACC. Have you seen the media agreement with ESPN and are the schools individual signatories to that as well?
ESPN deals with the conference, the ACC in this instance. Each school is required to sign over their TV rights to the conference, the Grant of Rights. The conference then signs the contract with the network.

My apology for not being clearer.

Anyway, the theory is that if the ACC is dissolved, the GOR goes away. However, ESPN has fulfilled is part of the bargain benefitting the ACC and individual schools (payments) and remains the beneficiary of certain portions of the contract (TV rights). Each school knew by signing the GOR that they were individually granting their rights to whichever network the ACC contracted with on behalf of the schools. Thus, even if the ACC is dissolved, the individual schools have pledged their TV rights to the network in exchange for the deal.

Often under contract law, when a party is dissolved, contracts cease. However, this is not always true; in cases in which the middle party dissolves and the rights of the remaining parties may still be preserved, the dissolution of the middle party does not affect the contract and life goes on. Another example is when a key party selles everything involved to a new organization, the contract continues, like TEP624 Industries buying out ESPN, TEP624 must pay the ACC/schools for the TV rights.

This is the theory they are advancing.
Agreed, but misapplying a general theory when a more specific theory is applicable is dangerous when practicing law. Besides, how many internet squawkers have studied law or even taken a course in law?

So it sounds like we really to put together two strong years in both football and hoops and keep our names on the tip of everyone's tongue when talking future of the ACC and /or where the other 3 conferences should expand.

Agreed, but misapplying a general theory when a more specific theory is applicable is dangerous when practicing law. Besides, how many internet squawkers have studied law or even taken a course in law?
I can't speak for the internetizens in general. I can only assume that the attorney's involved have a legal strategy to try to exit the GOR and must believe they can win. Personally, I believe Syracuse ends up in the B1G, so I'm hoping FSU succeeds, Worst case Syracuse ends up in the Big 12.

oregon and washington were always big ten bound and after that i think our preference was stanford since it would add money to our contract with the ND -Stanford adding to acc inventory
ND and Stanford have no future games currently scheduled after2024.

There are no winners here. I’m not typically a fatalist, but IMO this whole college sports endeavor goes south for everyone. And by everyone, I include the fans of teams like Alabama and Michigan and OSU. They’re going to kill the sport and end in a giant circle jerk around a pot of gold. Idiots.

Does adding WVU to ACC improve our tv deal?

Would they want to stay in big12 or jump if offered? They are the only team out there that I think adds a name brand in football.
WVU has a huge Big 12 exit fee to deal with. It also recently signed the Big 12 GOR until 2030.

ESPN deals with the conference, the ACC in this instance. Each school is required to sign over their TV rights to the conference, the Grant of Rights. The conference then signs the contract with the network.

My apology for not being clearer.

Anyway, the theory is that if the ACC is dissolved, the GOR goes away. However, ESPN has fulfilled is part of the bargain benefitting the ACC and individual schools (payments) and remains the beneficiary of certain portions of the contract (TV rights). Each school knew by signing the GOR that they were individually granting their rights to whichever network the ACC contracted with on behalf of the schools. Thus, even if the ACC is dissolved, the individual schools have pledged their TV rights to the network in exchange for the deal.

Often under contract law, when a party is dissolved, contracts cease. However, this is not always true; in cases in which the middle party dissolves and the rights of the remaining parties may still be preserved, the dissolution of the middle party does not affect the contract and life goes on. Another example is when a key party selles everything involved to a new organization, the contract continues, like TEP624 Industries buying out ESPN, TEP624 must pay the ACC/schools for the TV rights.
Thanks that’s really helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom