ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 180 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Wow. should be noted to that ratings in the West are generally not as good for games in the East and Midwest.

Looking at medium.coms numbers TV viewership from 2015-219, and 2021, 2022.

Stanford would be 5th between Miami and Louisville
Cal would take Cuse's spot at 10 and behind NC State
Wazzu does nicely at 7th ahead of UNC and behind VPI
OreSt would be with BC, Duke, and Wake at the bottom.

Edit: And if people were wondering, Stanford was 2nd in Pac 9 and did better than Washington but Oregon is best. Then Utah, Wazzu, Cal, ASU, Arizona, OreSt.

Worth noting that these ridiculous expectations for Conf fees were built off of two distinct trends that may not be the same drivers they were:

1. Linear TV clinging to Live Sports as the last thing that cable subscribers would still watch and value
  2. Zero percent Interest Rates
Point 1 is already shifting and people are not going to pay for stuff they don’t watch

Point 2 made everything seem easy and will now make things more difficult

Question regarding UVa: I've seen this from many blogger mills about the Big 10's desire for UVA but why? The Big 10 had a chance at Stanford and didn't take them. Isn't UVa basically the same thing on the east coast? I know that the Big 10 already has teams in SoCal...but the distance from SanFran to LA is almost UVa to Florida. PSU, Maryland, etc already recruit VA effectively. As far as ratings/population metrics/etc,

I think the difference is UVA's location. Gets them into that mid-South which what they really want, UVA has really good bball, really good lax, historically pretty good football, AAU, and a big money School.

Last edited:
Question regarding UVa: I've seen this from many blogger mills about the Big 10's desire for UVA but why? The Big 10 had a chance at Stanford and didn't take them. Isn't UVa basically the same thing on the east coast? I know that the Big 10 already has teams in SoCal...but the distance from SanFran to LA is almost UVa to Florida. PSU, Maryland, etc already recruit VA effectively. As far as ratings/population metrics/etc,
I’m with you. Stanford has much richer history in football than UVA does. It’s really not close.

Looking at medium.coms numbers TV viewership from 2015-219, and 2021, 2022.

Stanford would be 5th between Miami and Louisville
Cal would take Cuse's spot at 10 and behind NC State
Wazzu does nicely at 7th ahead of UNC and behind VPI
OreSt would be with BC, Duke, and Wake at the bottom.

Edit: And if people were wondering, Stanford was 2nd in Pac 9 and did better than Washington but Oregon is best. Then Utah, Wazzu, Cal, ASU, Arizona, OreSt.
I look at those same numbers for the 2022 regular season and SU is no.5 in the ACC and very tightly bunched overall with Cal, UNC, Stanford and WSU.

It's a well known secret that the B10 has coveted UVA and UNC for years, they will likely be the first two additions aif and when they first become available.
And Virginia Tech and NC State may think they're going along for the ride, but they should check in with Oregon State and Washington State and see how the B10 bus just blew past their stop while splashing a big nasty mud puddle all over them.

And Virginia Tech and NC State may think they're going along for the ride, but they should check in with Oregon State and Washington State and see how the B10 bus just blew past their stop while splashing a big nasty mud puddle all over them.
If Virginia and North Carolina eventually end up in the Big Ten, I would be absolutely shocked if Virginia Tech and NC State don’t end up in the SEC

The 4 most at risk ACC schools are absolutely Syracuse, Duke, Boston College, and Wake Forest.
B1G - UNC, UVA, GT, Miami
SEC - FSU, Clemson, NC State, VTech
Big 12 - Louisville, Pitt

The 4 most at risk ACC schools are absolutely Syracuse, Duke, Boston College, and Wake Forest.
B1G - UNC, UVA, GT, Miami
SEC - FSU, Clemson, NC State, VTech
Big 12 - Louisville, Pitt

If the B12 is all about BBall and Northeastern exposure, we would be in there.

Where does Notre Dame go? The B1G? And they are stopping at 23?

Another note on the value of Cal - it has triple the alumni base compared to Syracuse - and its alumni are very affluent - and national in scope. The kind advertisers want to attract.

While its football is as bad or worse than ours - it definitely is a brand - far better than most of the schools in the B12. IMO.

Another note on the value of Cal - it has triple the alumni base compared to Syracuse - and its alumni are very affluent - and national in scope. The kind advertisers want to attract.

While its football is as bad or worse than ours - it definitely is a brand - far better than most of the schools in the B12. IMO.
Both schools align well with the ACC elite academic schools from a cultural standpoint. As a Cuse transplant in Northern California (despite my username) I selfishly would love this. Side note, my wife is a USC alum and they have, soon to be past tense, the weekender series annually where USC alternates playing at Stanford or at Cal. We've done this and really enjoyed both visits. I can't overstate how much I've heard from the USC alumni in our circle the extreme hatred towards the move to the Big Ten. No more "Weekenders", no more like-minded institutions with a heavy focus on the olympic sports. Of course, USC is to blame on all of this. They wanted to be the big conference west coast team (alongside UCLA) and were hoping the rest of the Pac would fall behind. What a mess.

ACC talking to SMU now

Under the old model (ACCN state carry fees), SMU would make sense. Under the new model (brand and fan base size), SMU would not make sense. And who do you add as a travel partner? Rice? Tulane is too far away. Tulsa?

If the B12 is all about BBall and Northeastern exposure, we would be in there.

Where does Notre Dame go? The B1G? And they are stopping at 23?
Our parachute comes from SEC or Big 12 wanting Northeast presence; B1G is out for us.
In the Notre Dame protocol - B1G waits for them to finally join, and they are coupled with a Stanford.
Hope to see how all this plays out, someday.

Under the old model (ACCN state carry fees), SMU would make sense. Under the new model (brand and fan base size), SMU would not make sense. And who do you add as a travel partner? Rice? Tulane is too far away. Tulsa?
the old model is still in play since in state school = more fees for carrying acc network though

Their potential fanbase size is large. But how do they capture that potential? They haven't been relevant in FB or BBall since basically the 50s.

Edit

To expand on that...

Cal hasn't been to the Rose Bowl since 1958. Since then they do have 2 Co Champs where they lost the tie breaker. They have been ranked in the Top 24 only 4x and ranked 25th another 3x since that 1958 season.

Since making the BBall NCG in 1960 they have one PAC regular season championship and have made the Sweet 16 only 2x. They do have an NIT title during that time.

Last edited:
the old model is still in play since in state school = more fees for carrying acc network though

Short term sure. I suppose that is what is motivating the ACC these days though as half the conference has their foot out the door.

UNC is at the top of the list, and per Hoo's That, UVa and UNC are attached at the hip.

I thought UVA and VT were attached at the hip? What will the Virginia POLS do if VT is being snubbed?

Cal Stanford SMU and Tulane

Rice is a bigger TV market and you can make them a travel partner with SMU, reducing travel costs. It will also help get full ACCN fees in Texas. Plus it makes it easier to recruit Texas kids if you have two schools there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom