ACC Spring Meetings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Spring Meetings

Piggy backing off of my last post, would ESPN be willing to give a decent bump if the ACC expanded now by raiding the Big East and convincing Notre Dame to add a 6th football game? Especially with BBall being undervalued?

With only five Notre Dame games the ACC only owns two games every other season. Going to six would give the ACC the rights to three games every year.

Fox having the Big East diverts eyeballs from ESPN during BBall season. If the Big East were to lose its big market teams, those eyeballs stay with ESPN and you add TV markets to the ACC. You would be killing off competition and be making the ACC the only conference with a major presence in the Northeast.

By adding 2 FB teams you increase FB inventory (extra 12-14 games), although it is poor inventory.

By adding 4 BBall teams you significantly increase BBall inventory (extra 70-75 games), add major markets, and add pretty big brands.

So would ESPN give a decent bump in TV money if the ACC:

-Added UConn
-Added Nova as long as they agree to go FBS in football
-Added St Johns
-Added Georgetown

That kills off the Big East. It adds Philly to ACC FB and BBall. You add 4 big BBall brands and a lot of titles (9 of them). You add BBall teams in NYC and DC.

Scheduling is doable:

FB you play 2 teams yearly plus 6 more games rotated with the other 13 teams. Which means you play those other teams 6 times over 13 years. Now instead of getting Notre Dame 3 times over 9 years, you play them 3 times over 8 years.

BBall you play 2 teams yearly twice a year. The other 16 teams you play once a year, so home every other year.

It also adds stability for SU, BC, Pitt, Duke, Wake, Louisville, and Notre Dame. Should the other 8 ACC schools leave for the B16/SEC then you still have 8 FB and 11 BBall schools. You can then add USF/FAU and call it a day. You don't have to worry about finding a new home.

You would think this would be attractive to ESPN. It would make the schools looking to eventually leave happier for the rest of the GOR. The left behind schools would be better off. Notre Dame would be happy. FSU and Clemson would have easier access to the FB playoffs in the ACC and the two FB adds are not a threat to them. It seems like the best option for all over the next dozen years.
I think the big east hoops royalty is in play.

Pitino going to St. John’s is going to bring a lot of eyeballs back to nyc. If Cooley turns town around these are attractive properties

I think ultimately the football machines will leave and what is left is what we kinda left already. Super regional basketball and more regional football

Time
Is a flat circle. We don’t need Clemson in our lives to be a successful football program. We don’t even need Miami or FSU. We do need Pitt BC and regular ND opportunity.

Doesn't the ACC already give more non TV money to teams that do better? So if TV is not involved, how does this change anything? And even if it is a slight change, the amount of money will be peanuts. How will that satisfy FSU?

Doesn't the ACC already give more non TV money to teams that do better? So if TV is not involved, how does this change anything? And even if it is a slight change, the amount of money will be peanuts. How will that satisfy FSU?

Maybe we'll just do away with sharing bowl game revenue.

Just as JoePa intended. :confused:

Really? So the fact that they can get up to $10M and only IF they win the ACC, makes them happy? That $10M isn't enough to pull close to the SEC teams. And even then, it won't happen every year.

Seems like a big fail. Their AD got their fans all riled up and he walks away with only that?

But you know what? They deserve it being the 3rd best Florida team (and 4th if Miami gets back) but thinking that they are more important then they are. Their fans think they have a legit shot at the B16, despite not being a fit academically. Also they don't add a market and it is a PIA to fly there.

Then we have the SEC. Florida might block them. And the other schools might not even want FSU. Why add a team that will only steal SEC level HS talent from you? If I am an SEC school I rather have Miami or even UCF join than FSU.

the beginning of the end.

football schools want out. they are asking for the moon and won't get it.

they'll force their way out next. SU/Sveryvud and BC/Leahy should figure out a way to lock arms going forward here. they need to move with us whereever we go. it's gonna get ugly. hopefully nd puts their gigantic financial arms around boht of us and lead us to safety.
ND is always about ND.

They will only throw a lifeline to BC/Cuse if somehow they benefit

I hope we post a huge L on FSU on Oct 14th. At FSU and watch their season collapse. Then in the post game I want Dino to thank their dipshit AD, who because he had an over developed sense of self importance, positioned Syracuse for an actual higher payout as they go on for 10 win (including bowl) season.

If they aren't going to split TV revenue based on performance then what the hell are they going to distribute that makes any real difference?

Bowl money and NCAA bball tournament dough
For some reason I was thinking the NCAA mandated how conferences split March Madness payouts. That makes much more sense, then.

ND is always about ND.

They will only throw a lifeline to BC/Cuse if somehow they benefit
I don’t disagree. We can be useful idiots to their independence. All
I’m saying is nd won’t play games w all this nonsense.

They are like China: it’s 100 year thinking w their football strategy.

If we are good neighbors to them my guess is we will be fine. I don’t trust the ACC old guard schools or anyone really. ND looks out for themselves like everyone else. They are a bit diff because they haven’t been led 100% by financial

ND doesnt need the money from a full time conference. ND will remain independent now that the playoff is in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom