ACC Spring Meetings | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Spring Meetings

What if the players/schools just went on strike? This is what happens when a labor group is unhappy with their compensation in EVERY other market. Why not here. All the ACC schools refuse to play their opening conference game? ESPN is left to run WSOP 1998 highlights all afternoon/evening. Maybe do it for a few games. With NIL, the schools could intice the players to "not play" by offering additional compensation when this is all over.

I mean, there really is no other choice right?

If the schools went on "strike" then they would be in breech of contract and would have to pay whatever value of their product is to ESPN. And if they willingly didn't pay that, the court could issue a lien on their property, including their bank accounts. ESPN gets theirs one way or the other, and the ACC would be SOL on negotiating a contract with another provider.

This is probably dumb but what if the 8 or whatever schools left the ACC so the GOR voids and then just formed a new conference together? Then when the ACC folds, we'll invite the remaining schools. We'll call it the Coastal Conference...

This is probably dumb but what if the 8 or whatever schools left the ACC so the GOR voids and then just formed a new conference together? Then when the ACC folds, we'll invite the remaining schools. We'll call it the Coastal Conference...

Atlantis Coaster Conference.

Why change all the monograms on the luggage?

And there's already a CAA.

Reactions: gbo
On strike for what though, working under the terms of the contract they all agreed to? That’s not something labor unions do.

You act like players have never “held out” for a new deal before.

This is probably dumb but what if the 8 or whatever schools left the ACC so the GOR voids and then just formed a new conference together? Then when the ACC folds, we'll invite the remaining schools. We'll call it the Coastal Confer

What incentive do they have to do that? A smaller TV contract? because that's exactly what they would get.

You act like players have never “held out” for a new deal before.
Not being disagreeable for the sake of disagreement, but that’s not really a comparable circumstance. For ACC teams to demand to renegotiate their contract because they underestimated their market worth back in 2016 is a bit silly, but to strike is well, just not a realistic scenario.

What’s really sad is that each ACC institution is projected to receive $43 million dollars this year. Back in the Big East, we were happy with $9 million. When is enough, enough? It’s pure greed all the way around. In professional sports, stability and spending caps are the norm. At some point, the NCAA has to do the same. Any conference making more than $60 million (just threw that number out there) will have to share the rest with all member institutions or put the additional revenue in a NIL bucket to be shared to pay all athletes. It would finally end the mindless schools moving to conferences they have no business moving to. USC and UCLA moving to the Big 10 makes no sense for either institution. When does education begin to take precedent again? The current conditions are ruining college athletics. Maybe I’m old school, but the current format isn’t sustainable long term for players, colleges or fans. It might even bring down our cable bills. What a novel thought!

What’s really sad is that each ACC institution is projected to receive $43 million dollars this year. Back in the Big East, we were happy with $9 million. When is enough, enough? It’s pure greed all the way around. In professional sports, stability and spending caps are the norm. At some point, the NCAA has to do the same. Any conference making more than $60 million (just threw that number out there) will have to share the rest with all member institutions or put the additional revenue in a NIL bucket to be shared to pay all athletes. It would finally end the mindless schools moving to conferences they have no business moving to. USC and UCLA moving to the Big 10 makes no sense for either institution. When does education begin to take precedent again? The current conditions are ruining college athletics. Maybe I’m old school, but the current format isn’t sustainable long term for players, colleges or fans. It might even bring down our cable bills. What a novel thought!
If college Presidents and ADs were serious about all the pablum they spew, they could do just what you suggest. Caps on paid coaching positions, true revenue sharing, etc. Basically regulate college football across a national footprint, akin to the NFL.

Spoiler: A sizable majority of college Presidents and ADs won’t do that because they’re greedy AF and don’t really believe the pablum they spew.

So we know 7 schools are likely out in a dozen or so years. I think you can add Louisville to that as well. When you look at the ACC there are private schools, schools that act like private schools, and then schools that are more like SEC than ACC schools. I would break it down as...

Privates
BC, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame (non FB), Syracuse, Wake

Act like privates
GA Tech, Pitt, UNC, UVA

Act like SEC
Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, VA Tech

I think the SEC like schools are gone at the end of GOR. They are the schools that have a bigger football following, consistently getting over 50k per game. They are the schools that are least ACC like. They are part of the 7.

Of the other 9 schools, I think they only leave for the B16. I think UNC and UVA will end up going. The rest will go if they get an invite, which may or may not happen.

So when the GOR ends, IMO those like minded schools who are all similar and all have a Northeastern presence should all stick together vs going to the B12. If we had the below, it would cover the entire East coast and be a decent #4 league in FB and a heck of a league in BBall.

The only FBS East coast states not included would be South Carolina and New Jersey. The East coast Top 35 markets not included would be Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte. All the others would be covered. Besides UConn everyone falls into the private or acts like private category.

FB
Miami, GA Tech, Duke, Wake, James Madison, Navy, Nova, Pitt, Army, Syracuse, UConn, BC

Year end games
Miami vs GA Tech, Duke vs Wake, JMU vs Nova, Navy vs Army, Pitt vs SU, UConn vs BC

BBall
Miami, GA Tech, Duke, Wake, James Madison, Georgetown, Nova, Pitt, St Johns, Syracuse, UConn, BC, Notre Dame

ACCT at MSG

If we are getting left behind, the above would be my ideal situation.

So we know 7 schools are likely out in a dozen or so years. I think you can add Louisville to that as well. When you look at the ACC there are private schools, schools that act like private schools, and then schools that are more like SEC than ACC schools. I would break it down as...

Privates
BC, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame (non FB), Syracuse, Wake

Act like privates
GA Tech, Pitt, UNC, UVA

Act like SEC
Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, VA Tech

I think the SEC like schools are gone at the end of GOR. They are the schools that have a bigger football following, consistently getting over 50k per game. They are the schools that are least ACC like. They are part of the 7.

Of the other 9 schools, I think they only leave for the B16. I think UNC and UVA will end up going. The rest will go if they get an invite, which may or may not happen.

So when the GOR ends, IMO those like minded schools who are all similar and all have a Northeastern presence should all stick together vs going to the B12. If we had the below, it would cover the entire East coast and be a decent #4 league in FB and a heck of a league in BBall.

The only FBS East coast states not included would be South Carolina and New Jersey. The East coast Top 35 markets not included would be Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte. All the others would be covered. Besides UConn everyone falls into the private or acts like private category.

FB
Miami, GA Tech, Duke, Wake, James Madison, Navy, Nova, Pitt, Army, Syracuse, UConn, BC

Year end games
Miami vs GA Tech, Duke vs Wake, JMU vs Nova, Navy vs Army, Pitt vs SU, UConn vs BC

BBall
Miami, GA Tech, Duke, Wake, James Madison, Georgetown, Nova, Pitt, St Johns, Syracuse, UConn, BC, Notre Dame

ACCT at MSG

If we are getting left behind, the above would be my ideal situation.
great post. I think Miami finds a way to leave this pirate ship too no matter what.

I do think the FB conference you lay out is how it'll ultimately play out. Not sure what that pays per annum but it will be enough to run the football program.

the basketball situation you lay out would suggest PC, Seton Hall are left behind. i would doubt that if there is a retrofit of the old big east.

great post. I think Miami finds a way to leave this pirate ship too no matter what.

I do think the FB conference you lay out is how it'll ultimately play out. Not sure what that pays per annum but it will be enough to run the football program.

the basketball situation you lay out would suggest PC, Seton Hall are left behind. i would doubt that if there is a retrofit of the old big east.

The ACC would invite UConn, Nova, Georgetown, St. John’s. None of those schools are saying no to more money and getting back together with SU, BC, Pitt, ND and adding Duke, so they can stay together with Marquette, DePaul, etc.

Who gives a Flying F about Seton Hall and Providence getting left behind.

The ACC would invite UConn, Nova, Georgetown, St. John’s. None of those schools are saying no to more money and getting back together with SU, BC, Pitt, ND and adding Duke, so they can stay together with Marquette, DePaul, etc.

Who gives a Flying F about Seton Hall and Providence getting left behind.
Not enough football. My guess is ACC disbands

Not enough football. My guess is ACC disbands

Miami, GA Tech, Pitt, SU, BC are all decent programs, and the 1st four all have titles. Miami would make the playoffs 90% of the time. In the B12 they would make it as often as they have won the ACC CG the last 20 years.

Doesn't the ACC already give more non TV money to teams that do better? So if TV is not involved, how does this change anything? And even if it is a slight change, the amount of money will be peanuts. How will that satisfy FSU?
Not exactly. IIRC, bowl money is divided into 16 shares, the participant, all14 schools, and ACC HQ. The participating team gets 2 shares (the participant share and its member share) of its bowl money while everyone else gets 1 share.

Curiosity question- wouldn't the consolidation of money into the Big 2 conference structure just result in a massive spike in the price non p2 programs demand to play them? Basically turning the Buy games into pay me a ridiculous sum or play in your own sandbox? Maybe with just crummy matchups and fcs schools outside b2 conference games?

Is there a situation where the volume of schools left out provides a formidable pool of resources to put financial pressure on the two super conferences?

Sort of my previous point this creates an NFL G League where all these teams play year in year out is one another. They isolate themselves which shrinks their market over time. Have to figure that is a word that TV execs don't want to hear. It will get stale and it's very possible that parity within that model could fade and add even less interest.

Just seems there are variables here that are unpredictable and maybe not well baked out yet.

What incentive do they have to do that? A smaller TV contract? because that's exactly what they would get.
True but my main concern is breaking the GOR. Everything else is secondary.

Curiosity question- wouldn't the consolidation of money into the Big 2 conference structure just result in a massive spike in the price non p2 programs demand to play them? Basically turning the Buy games into pay me a ridiculous sum or play in your own sandbox? Maybe with just crummy matchups and fcs schools outside b2 conference games?

Is there a situation where the volume of schools left out provides a formidable pool of resources to put financial pressure on the two super conferences?

Sort of my previous point this creates an NFL G League where all these teams play year in year out is one another. They isolate themselves which shrinks their market over time. Have to figure that is a word that TV execs don't want to hear. It will get stale and it's very possible that parity within that model could fade and add even less interest.

Just seems there are variables here that are unpredictable and maybe not well baked out yet.

Your point is what i've been saying. Syracuse in a modified northeast conference where every one of the Big 2 conferences will want to dip their toes in opponent wise. Maybe our revenue stream will ultimately be straight to consumer games and purchased opponents from the big 2. Not sure what that looks like per annum but I could see a scenario where BC/Syracuse charge a set rate for the Washington Generals to come play Michigan or Alabama per year. If they are getting 100mm per year from the networks, certainly paying millions per game inventory out of conference will be satiable. Won't bridge the gap but certainly will help

Yes its dumb. Because the schools cant just decide to leave. ESPN would own them in a lawsuit. The GOR isn't going to be broken. Period, end of story . UNLESS all parties agree to a new structure.
Syracuse will remain in third position along with the rest of their partners.
Thank God we are not the PAC.
We are fine, actually blessed to be in the ACC. Look at what Red has accomplished in a few months. Look at how Dino has done with the portal.
Syracuse is where we belong. This is a great academic and athletic fit for SU. Its actually as good as we could hope for.
We dont fit in either the Big or the SEC.
We are not just a basketball school and even if we were the baloney about the ACC hampering our basketball recruiting has now been proven given Reds success.
Bottom line. We should be grateful for the ACC and its GOR structure.
SU needs to focus the next decade on strengthening its Academic and Athletic standings.
Get back to excellence in both areas and everything will take care of itself.
Micron will over the course of the remaining GOR years single handily do its part to improve the financial and cultural foundation of the community.
In combination a decade from now IF Syracuse does its part we will as a university and community be exponentially stronger and more attractive than we are today.
IF used properly the next decade of time will position Syracuse University as a very attractive partner.
Times on our side. Be thankful for the ACC and the GOR.

If college Presidents and ADs were serious about all the pablum they spew, they could do just what you suggest. Caps on paid coaching positions, true revenue sharing, etc. Basically regulate college football across a national footprint, akin to the NFL.

Spoiler: A sizable majority of college Presidents and ADs won’t do that because they’re greedy AF and don’t really believe the pablum they spew.

Exactly.

The problem with college football is that the conferences and schools are looking out only for themselves, and not at all for the overall landscape. The sport would have been far better off if they acted for the collective good of college football, or at least the P5. That would involve trying to stabilize revenue and cost across all conferences, either on an FBS basis or a P5 basis. Not necessarily equal revenue sharing, but something better than what we're getting now.

It didn't and won't ever happen though, because the schools are chasing revenue as compared to one another, in a never ending and self-perpetuating cycle. "The B1G will get $100M/team, so Clemson needs $100M or they're falling behind". Falling behind what? They won't have laser lighting in the team tunnel? They'll only have 12 team masseuses? No bearnaise sauce at the training table? For what, exactly, does a college football team need $100M+ per year? They don't, but it doesn't matter. Someone else has it and they want it too, even if they have to kill the golden goose to get it.

Yes its dumb. Because the schools cant just decide to leave. ESPN would own them in a lawsuit. The GOR isn't going to be broken. Period, end of story . UNLESS all parties agree to a new structure.
Syracuse will remain in third position along with the rest of their partners.
Thank God we are not the PAC.
We are fine, actually blessed to be in the ACC. Look at what Red has accomplished in a few months. Look at how Dino has done with the portal.
Syracuse is where we belong. This is a great academic and athletic fit for SU. Its actually as good as we could hope for.
We dont fit in either the Big or the SEC.
We are not just a basketball school and even if we were the baloney about the ACC hampering our basketball recruiting has now been proven given Reds success.
Bottom line. We should be grateful for the ACC and its GOR structure.
SU needs to focus the next decade on strengthening its Academic and Athletic standings.
Get back to excellence in both areas and everything will take care of itself.
Micron will over the course of the remaining GOR years single handily do its part to improve the financial and cultural foundation of the community.
In combination a decade from now IF Syracuse does its part we will as a university and community be exponentially stronger and more attractive than we are today.
IF used properly the next decade of time will position Syracuse University as a very attractive partner.
Times on our side. Be thankful for the ACC and the GOR.
I should have put the post in sarcasm script...

Also as a Clemson fan, the GOR is the worst thing for us. By the time 2036 roles around, we'll be so behind our football peers it will be all but over for us.

With that said

97b240534d014b3cd14cb60dcbd8823d5f0b0024acd045de1d48e5b1a171d99a.jpg

I should have put the post in sarcasm script...

Also as a Clemson fan, the GOR is the worst thing for us. By the time 2036 roles around, we'll be so behind our football peers it will be all but over for us.

With that said

View attachment 227955
I’m just curious but where would Clemson end up? Do the SEC or the Big 10 have any serious interest? I’m not as convinced as many others thet those 7 have a landing spot. The only ones I think for sure are Virginia and NC. Clemson has had great success but I don’t see them in either conference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom