ACC TV Deal @ $19 million/year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC TV Deal @ $19 million/year

They are DII

And at 1 time they were D1 and even made a college world series. The point was about weather etc, not necessarily what nlevel they compete at. OCC even has a team.

if lemoyne can do baseball, su can.

SU could absolutely do baseball if they committed to it. I recall when Lemoyne beat a strong Arkansas team years ago (maybe late 80's) and just came up short in the Super Regionals. St. Johns has a decent program and so does/did UConn at one time. If Stonybrook can go to the College World Series, than I don't see why Syracuse couldn't. The ACC has very strong baseball programs, just as they do with lax. I would love to see SU have a plan for baseball in the future in the ACC.

I haven't lived in CNY for some 20 years, but I recall when the area and vicinity had some very good prep and Senior Babe Ruth ball. Travelled to several tourneys where the CNY/Onondaga Senior All-Stars fared quite well, some going to Div. I programs. I haven't kept up with it over the years, so I have no idea what the talent level is locally and nearby (Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, etc.) for SU to tap into, but just as they do with lax, they could snag some downstaters or LI boys where the talent is usually plentiful.

And at 1 time they were D1 and even made a college world series. The point was about weather etc, not necessarily what nlevel they compete at. OCC even has a team.
OK. Let's do it. But no exhibitions. Please.

Coach Rockwell did a great job with the LeMoyne baseball program in the mid 80's to early 90's. IIRC they did not make the World Series, but lost to I think Arkansas in the deciding game to go to Omaha..they won Division II championships before becoming DI...OCC has had success, Maine was very good for a long time...heck loom at Stony Brook this past year..

I had always heard that Jake C felt Syracuse could not compete due to the weather issues so he wasn't going to waste money on Baseball...don't know how true that was

Coach Rockwell did a great job with the LeMoyne baseball program in the mid 80's to early 90's. IIRC they did not make the World Series, but lost to I think Arkansas in the deciding game to go to Omaha..they won Division II championships before becoming DI...OCC has had success, Maine was very good for a long time...heck loom at Stony Brook this past year..

I had always heard that Jake C felt Syracuse could not compete due to the weather issues so he wasn't going to waste money on Baseball...don't know how true that was

What weather issues? Last year's winter was nothing and with all this global warming going on, it won't be long before Syracuse routinely has 50 -60 degree weather in March. :)

I am in a hockey area.. most of these people are not bball fans.. hockey is played on fri-sat nights almost exclusively . you have a huge number of local kids playing hockey who do not go to bball games. Syr being a bball tradition will skew a bit higher but the hockey people are hockey people, they are used to paying 10x as much to have kids play as for other sports. you can be a fball/bball/baseball player and have almost zero out of pocket as a parent.. thats not the way of life for hockey.

yeah you pay for the arena. but its also only 18 scholies to add, 36 if we need to match. a couple million in cost. its much cheaper to rent the arena than to build and support one unless you have other uses for it. a 3-5K hockey barn is pretty cheap to build if they really want to go that route. Hockey kids are used to playing in dim, cheap, old barns. we couldn't support a b10 style 20K bldg so we dont need one.

and all this is assuming that no alumni wants a program and is willing to help.

Construction costs for RIT's new rink are listed as $30-35 million. As for the popularity & conference debate in earlier posts: 4 Hockey East teams (BC, UNH, BU and Lowell) are averaging over 5,000 per game and UMass and Maine average over 4,000. Hockey East has 3 of the top 6 in the current pairwise rankings and the highest WCHA team is North Dakota at 11.

SU could absolutely do baseball if they committed to it. I recall when Lemoyne beat a strong Arkansas team years ago (maybe late 80's) and just came up short in the Super Regionals. St. Johns has a decent program and so does/did UConn at one time. If Stonybrook can go to the College World Series, than I don't see why Syracuse couldn't. The ACC has very strong baseball programs, just as they do with lax. I would love to see SU have a plan for baseball in the future in the ACC.

I haven't lived in CNY for some 20 years, but I recall when the area and vicinity had some very good prep and Senior Babe Ruth ball. Travelled to several tourneys where the CNY/Onondaga Senior All-Stars fared quite well, some going to Div. I programs. I haven't kept up with it over the years, so I have no idea what the talent level is locally and nearby (Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, etc.) for SU to tap into, but just as they do with lax, they could snag some downstaters or LI boys where the talent is usually plentiful.

LeMoyne beat arky in the first game of the super regional and then lost to arky in the deciding game...1989 .. High school teammate of mine lined out with a couple of men on to end the game...game of inches

Don't care one way or the other about fielding a baseball team. How about something really inexpensive that you could put some money into and grab some points in the Capital Cup. I'm thinking women's bowling. Would need to beat perennial favorite Nebraska.

Don't care one way or the other about fielding a baseball team. How about something really inexpensive that you could put some money into and grab some points in the Capital Cup. I'm thinking women's bowling. Would need to beat perennial favorite Nebraska.
Curling - men's, women's or co-ed. Doesn't matter. We have the climate for it.

LeMoyne beat arky in the first game of the super regional and then lost to arky in the deciding game...1989 .. High school teammate of mine lined out with a couple of men on to end the game...game of inches

Yeah, I remember how close it was. Arkansas was sitting pretty in the winners bracket...Lemoyne almost pulled it off coming out of the losers bracket...talk about nearly shocking the world...that would've been incredible.

if lemoyne can do baseball, su can.

If SU can do softball, SU can do baseball. The SU softball team basically plays tourneys during the beginning of the year in Cali and Florida and other warm weather areas until April rolls around and its warm enough for Northeastern softball. Baseball could certainly do the same thing.

But I agree with KO in that I think the most prudent use of our money is to improve football facilities and to keep basketball humming. Certainly its most important to keep the high profile sports in the public eye and it won't hurt to have a 1990s level football team by the time the next TV contract is negotiated.

Tom Block@_TomBlock
#ACC schools expecting $2 million per school bump for Notre Dame, for 5 games per year. Do the math and ESPN is paying 5-6 mil per ND game.

If this is true that puts the ACC & Big 12 both at $19 million/year...
Big 12 gets $20/year but has to pay Big 12 conference $1 million per year...ACC conference gets full share so schools pay nothing...

With the contracts basically the same does it stop the FSU to the Big 12 rumors?
Where does the ACc get its money? It has to come from somewhere.

Where does the ACc get its money? It has to come from somewhere.

881580-US_Mint_Philadelphia.jpg

If SU can do softball, SU can do baseball. The SU softball team basically plays tourneys during the beginning of the year in Cali and Florida and other warm weather areas until April rolls around and its warm enough for Northeastern softball. Baseball could certainly do the same thing.

But I agree with KO in that I think the most prudent use of our money is to improve football facilities and to keep basketball humming. Certainly its most important to keep the high profile sports in the public eye and it won't hurt to have a 1990s level football team by the time the next TV contract is negotiated.
Baseball requires a baseball stadium and Title IX funding for a girl's sport. Softball requires a small softball stadium (cheaper than a baseball stadium) and it offsets money spent on men's sports. They look slimilar on paper, but they are different when you drill down into it. That said, I would LOVE it if SU fielded a good baseball team. There have been too many grat ball players to come out of NY for us not to field a team. But, like you, I think football and basketball NEED to be priorities #1 and #2.

D*MN! I was going to guess we were planning on investing heavily into gold and then break into Fort Knox and blow up a nuke so all the gold was raadioactive. (Goldfinger style)

Ehhhh... Bond probs would have stopped my evil plan anyway. nuts

you need to follow college hockey more then.

the HE has 3 programs who might be really good this year.. 3 in the top 6, but also only 3 in the top 6.. the ecac 6 in the top 20. even Maine has become a non relevant team .

but other than BC and NH no one follows hockey in the HE any more, the locals dont care about BU or Harvard in boston.

if SU could sell 3K they would turn a profit in college hockey. they need way more than that for the crunch to make money.

SUNY Oswego averages close to 3000 fans a game for Div 3 hockey...the problem for SU would hockey siphon off high priced BB tickets? I'm not sure it would. Having the War Memorial less than a mile from the campus...it would be easy to play there.

have you not been to a college game? its just different because the penalty is different. its not minutes its a game. in fact it wasnt that long ago it was ok outside the ecac and hockey east.
Right, it's a game misconduct. So it greatly discourages it and it rarely happens in division 1. If you get a penalty for fighting chances are your coach will bench you.

Not going to happen, Lax is to big on the hill.

Not going to happen, Lax is to big on the hill.

I don't think it ever happens either although I'm not sure why Lax would be the reason. I'm only commenting on why SU could if they wanted too regardless of what the weather is like here.

I don't think it ever happens either although I'm not sure why Lax would be the reason. I'm only commenting on why SU could if they wanted too regardless of what the weather is like here.

To much money and history with Lax, Gross feels SU gets more then enough National exposure through the Lacrosse program and that it doesnt need a second major spring mens sport.

To much money and history with Lax, Gross feels SU gets more then enough National exposure through the Lacrosse program and that it doesnt need a second major spring mens sport.

Don't agree at all. Lax and their success and history wouldn't play a role. If it did, why have any minor sports? Stick with Fball, bball and Lax. Until did this, soccer never did anything so what money and history did it have when we already have football in the fall? Weather is also abad excuse and is what I was getting at by pointing to the other CNY schools that play baseball. I'm sure there is no idea of baseball right now because of Title IX more than anything.

Bring back wrestling.
Add a few female scholarships to the dance/cheerleading squads to offset Title IX imbalance.
Recruit better DL/OL due to option of doing both (FB & Wrestling).

We could've had all 3 Jones boys at SU!!

Agree about not needing a booster but I doubt we see any new programs, we would need at least two to satisfy title 9 and from what I heard previously Gross has zero interest in adding mens Hockey or mens baseball the two most likely candidates.
Re-instating swimming--with both men's and women's scholarships involved--might be an option. That might require a large capital expenditure for a new natatorium, though.