ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

Let me push back - I don’t know that we do have that cash. Sure, we can hire a handful of sure things, but they aren’t cheap, and we have a limited assistant coach budget. Is it on par with BC, WF, etc.? Yes - it’s actually probably better. But we’re also bidding against SEC schools, Clemson, B1G schools, etc. for those coaches, and we can only responsibly bid up until the marginal benefit matches the marginal cost.

MAC schools have some great assistant coaches (roll the dice long enough, and you’ll get lucky numbers), but there aren’t great staffs top to bottom (it’s hard to roll lucky numbers a bunch of times in a row), and if/when there are, they don’t last long. It’s a competitive market.

EDIT: I wish we could hire guys like Sark to be offensive advisors, like Alabama did a couple of years ago, but we can’t. (I know you’re not advocating for Alabama’s assistant staff budget or people, so I’m definitely exaggerating with that example, but I think the exaggeration better illustrates my point.)
I dont think you necessarily need buckets of money. Sure it helps. But it alone isn't the answer. I don't think there is ever a sure thing. Each school/situation is different, what you do well might fit and work at one program but not at the next.

If we are a developmental program, then we had better hire a coach who is good at developing players.

I dont get that from Dino, and I dont think hes shown that historically. If he isnt that guy, then he'd better surround himself with those guys.

Addazio is an exceptional OLine coach. I dont really think that Dino is a good position coach. Dinos gift is his personality. He needs to surround himself with strong coaches. I think White is going to end up being a great hire. Not sure about our OC, WR or Oline coaches. The problems on offense are deeper than just talent.
Nice personality. But he cannot recruit. It is that simple. When you start talking about, "he needs to surround himself with strong coaches", the implication is cause he cannot recruit himself.

I’m fairly confident that your name isn’t IthacaBarrel, which means your posts aren’t anon. Those kids on National TV don’t have your luxury, and if vague references to being successful because “you own multiple businesses” are an attempt to impress me, you failed. Internet resumes and low standards don’t earn respect. Quality of arguments earn respect, and you’ve yet to voice support for your position that it’s a good idea to let 18 year old kids make bold and controversial political statements that could very well stick with them for the rest of their lives.

I'm the most conservative person here (by a lot!) The kids doing that are perfectly fine. We have freedom of speech here.

Posts talking about Babers’ “strong” support are odd in a thread where hardcore fans are questioning whether he should be our coach, and in a forum where there have been numerous threads about former players and/or parents of players questioning his coaching, posters questioning whether there would be a mass exodus, posters questioning whether the team quit on him, posters questioning whether he quit on the team, and so on.

It’s like the claims that he represents the university well. I’m not sure how that’s quantified. He hasn’t gotten busted for cheating, gotten in bar fights, or been found with coeds - sure. But he’s lost a lot of football games and said a bunch of things that sound really, really dumb, or, in the right (wrong?) context, egocentric. Talking about “belief without evidence” while getting pounded to a 1-10 record in year 5 due to “out lifting the freshmen” isn’t helping the university’s image in my eyes. Letting players carry out crazy in-game antics doesn’t enhance the university in my eyes. Letting 18-22 year old kids make very strong political statements on national TV that can’t be taken back or gracefully mitigated later in life is a phenomenally problematic public lack of judgement that will likely hurt the university’s image in my eyes. These are kids who lost the power to choose their uniform on senior day because they couldn’t get that decision right...

He’s our coach, and he will be our coach next year. Assuming he gets 6 wins, which I think he probably will, then he’ll be our coach the year after next. We should all hope he does well. But the man has obvious weaknesses that have clearly manifested themselves in our abysmal record.

The mental gymnastics that certain posters make to try to distort reality and rewrite history in an effort to defend DB from genuine (and often obvious and otherwise uncontroversial criticism) are bizarre.

“Very strong political statements”...lmao.

I’m sorry that equality is controversial to you.

Can’t wait until we win 8 games next year and then the “Will Dino jump ship?” threads return.
Will not happen. He should not be judged by total wins. I'd make cutoff 4 wins in ACC...4-4 or .500 in ACC. You have to win in conference.

Dino is 13-29 in ACC. Throw out one season Dungey...Shafer recruit...led team to 6-2 in ACC, that is an almost incomprehensible 7-27 ACC record. Anyone thinking 6-6 with a few OOC wins is acceptable is crazy. It is unacceptable.

“Very strong political statements”...lmao.

I’m sorry that equality is controversial to you.
Not sure if you noticed but our entire hoops teams' futures are also screwed...

NZM reminds me of Tristan back in the day: pompous, condescending and consistently shooting himself in the head...

Taking on IB and GoSU is just not smart posting....

Will not happen. He should not be judged by total wins. I'd make cutoff 4 wins in ACC...4-4 or .500 in ACC. You have to win in conference.

Dino is 13-29 in ACC. Throw out one season Dungey...Shafer recruit...led team to 6-2 in ACC, that is an almost incomprehensible 7-27 ACC record. Anyone thinking 6-6 with a few OOC wins is acceptable is crazy. It is unacceptable.

For the 1,000th time, you don't get to throw away a coach's best season when evaluating. And 6 wins, regardless of how many are in conference, gets you a bowl game, something this program has only done six times in the last 20 years.

Not sure if you noticed but our entire hoops teams' futures are also screwed...

NZM reminds me of Tristan back in the day: pompous, condescending and consistently shooting himself in the head...

Taking on IB and GoSU is just not smart posting...

Ha

Am I wrong?

There are apparently two tandems with whom no poster wants to tangle as they will come at you from the top rope.

The first is IB and GoSu. The other is PAcusewife and MSOrange.

I think, as I found out the hard way, the second pair is tougher than the first...

For the 1,000th time, you don't get to throw away a coach's best season when evaluating. And 6 wins, regardless of how many are in conference, gets you a bowl game, something this program has only done six times in the last 20 years.
Throw out 2003 and JB is a sober Bob Huggins

Throw out 2003 and JB is a sober Bob Huggins
JB made the title game in 87 and 96 as well.
Huggins has never made the title game.

JB honestly should have atleast 2 NCs.
Huggins probably had the best team in 2000 but Kenyon Martin tore his ACL in the CUSA conference tournament game

JB made the title game in 87 and 96 as well.
Huggins has never made the title game.

JB honestly should have atleast 2 NCs.
Huggins probably had the best team in 2000 but Kenyon Martin tore his ACL in the CUSA conference tournament game
For sure. We've gotten screwed a couple of times in the last decade or so alone.

But his national perception would be much different than it is now. Which is silly given the nature of the NCAA Tournament

The article is completely wrong about Gilbert. But if he were to leave it's not because Dino whacked him.
You think so? Regardless, I suspect him to stay. Hacketts departure has me guessing the TE will continue in a reduced capacity.(Gilbert)

You think so? Regardless, I suspect him to stay. Hacketts departure has me guessing the TE will continue in a reduced capacity.(Gilbert)

Anyone could leave on their own but he's not going to be fired by Dino.

I would suspect we had to max protect so much the TE just couldn't be a part of the offense. I'm not exactly sold the TE role being reduced is a trend at this point.

Anyone could leave on their own but he's not going to be fired by Dino.

I would suspect we had to max protect so much the TE just couldn't be a part of the offense. I'm not exactly sold the TE role being reduced is a trend at this point.
I think Gilbert is retained. He IS known for not using the TE much in the receiving game.

Hackett was vocal in wanting to return. Midway through, he had the highest PFF pass blocking grade for ACC TE's. He's already proven he can do that, but if he wants a chance at the next level? It makes sense for him to find a situation where both of his skill sets are highlighted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom