ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

I would be very surprised if Gilbert is pushed out. If he gets offered someplace else that's different. Cav may be impacted. S&C could be impacted. Reynolds is fine I think, he just brought in a really good class at DE. Maybe Reno.

If Dino has a poor year next year IM ALL IN on hiring Buffalo's Head Coach or OC... Great run scheme built in with complementary RPO's. ADJW should be honing in on this staff. Whether it's the Head Coach or OC.

I think Gilbert is retained. He IS known for not using the TE much in the receiving game.

Hackett was vocal in wanting to return. Midway through, he had the highest PFF pass blocking grade for ACC TE's. He's already proven he can do that, but if he wants a chance at the next level? It makes sense for him to find a situation where both of his skill sets are highlighted.

I’m not sure what are you saying that he was vocal in wanting to return? Maybe they want to move in a different direction with him as a receiver. he did drop a lot of passes this year, fumbles and some killer penalties. He did not have a good season.

now you’re going to make me research all of the tight ends that have ever played for Gilbert

Last edited:
Reno? Nahh. He just coached a TE that put up a top grade in the ACC for pass pro.

SnC? Many Injuries were flukes. I guess that depends. In terms of strength? Its not going to translate with poor technique(execution, scheme, etc.) Which one is it?
Does Reno have the slot receivers? He also brought us Tucker I think so maybe not Reno.

I’m not sure what are you saying that he was vocal in wanting to return? Maybe they want to move in a different direction with him as a receiver. he did drop a lot passes this year, fumbles and some killer penalties. He did not have a good season.

now you’re going to make me research all of the tight ends that have ever played for Gilbert

I’m not sure what are you saying that he was vocal in wanting to return? Maybe they want to move in a different direction with him as a receiver. he did drop a lot passes this year, fumbles and some killer penalties. He did not have a good season.

All of Gilberts TEs.

Last edited:

That’s all we can ask.
That Dino gets a chance to debrief Aaron, and then he can discuss his options w his family, and then make his best decision.

That said - until & unless Gilbert promises to actually utilize TE’s in the offense, he’d be best served going someplace that will actually throw to the TE.

That’s all we can ask.
That Dino gets a chance to debrief Aaron, and then he can discuss his options w his family, and then make his best decision.

That said - until & unless Gilbert promises to actually utilize TE’s in the offense, he’d be best served going someplace that will actually throw to the TE.
No way the staff would pass on the top rated pass protecting TE in the ACC. The want was there for Hackett, but the situation may have no longer been his best decision.

My concern will shift to whether Benson will be used as a WR, or be content with less opportunities to showcase his speed.

Thanks for posting some of the TE info. I still think it remains to be seen what he does here. Mitch Wilcox caught 43 balls for 540 yards in 2018 at South Florida. In 2017 USF tight ends caught 27 for 277 and the kid at Eastern Illinois caught 37 for 306.

I think this shows he's more than willing to use his tight ends.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely that Landon Morris would commit to SU if he didn't have some assurances that the offense is going to include him getting receptions and TDs. And Mahar could have entered the transfer portal if he was told that he shouldn't be expecting to be more than a blocker.

I don't doubt your data at all; I just think Dino must be indicating to Morris and at least some of the TEs they won't be ignored in Syracuse's offense.

This doesn't really explain why Hackett wasn't invited back but I still think that players must have been told that Gilbert's offense is going to have to include more TE action than in the past.

For the 1,000th time, you don't get to throw away a coach's best season when evaluating. And 6 wins, regardless of how many are in conference, gets you a bowl game, something this program has only done six times in the last 20 years.
I totally agree and you don't get to throw away a coach's worst season because a portion of the fan base thinks the year doesn't matter and the excuses that go with it. You know if it wasn't for the triple bogey on 17 I would have shot 78.

Does anyone think that Sterling doesn’t really value blocking TEs? With the max protect they ran due to OL issues this year, I believe he was forced into it. It’s great that Aaron was the top rated TE in that department, but me thinks he doesn’t want that to be a staple in his offense. Also, Aaron has a different TE skill set than the other TEs on the roster. It makes me believe that the staff wants their TEs to have bigger passing roles, which is why Aaron was asked to move on.

Does anyone think that Sterling doesn’t really value blocking TEs? With the max protect they ran due to OL issues this year, I believe he was forced into it. It’s great that Aaron was the top rated TE in that department, but me thinks he doesn’t want that to be a staple in his offense. Also, Aaron has a different TE skill set than the other TEs on the roster. It makes me believe that the staff wants their TEs to have bigger passing roles, which is why Aaron was asked to move on.

A TE who is an excellent blocker, and also had 23 receptions for 205 yards and 6 TD's a year ago (that last # led all returning receivers), was "asked to move on" because the new OC only threw to him 10 times (2 TD's)???

That makes almost no sense.

IIRC, Gilbert's O at his prior stops had nearly zero TE involvement, other than blocking.

You're a smart football mind and excellent poster, but I think you're totally wrong on this take.
IF Gilbert values receiving TE's, then why wasn't Benson featured more this past season??
Kid has sick wheels, and decent hands - he's a mismatch nightmare for DC's.

A TE who is an excellent blocker, and also had 23 receptions for 205 yards and 6 TD's a year ago (that last # led all returning receivers), was "asked to move on" because the new OC only threw to him 10 times (2 TD's)???

IIRC, Gilbert's O at his prior stops had nearly zero TE involvement, other than blocking.

You're a smart football mind and excellent poster, but I think you're totally wrong on this take.
IF Gilbert values receiving TE's, then why wasn't Benson featured more this past season??

You’ve got me a bit wrong here. I’ve had nobody tell me he was asked to move on. That’s me trying to rationalize it because I’d rather he stay. I am surmising based on TE recruiting, that is all.

If you want me to jog your memory about a specific instance, I’d be happy to do it. Remember that discussion that we had about offenses where you held firm about DB’s early offenses being significantly better than SS’ only to realize that, after pace adjusting, SS’ offenses were slightly better? If you can’t remember when it happened, it was roughly around the time that you started going on your crusade about strength of schedules (presumably to get around the flip in numbers).

Yeah, this isn't even true lol. My point then was the same as it is now. YPP (a pace-adjusted stat) is better in the Dino era excluding this year than all of SS. It's strange that you think adjusting for pace matter so much as to render non-pace adjusted stats meaningless, but find strength of schedules a weird thing to adjust to. Probably should do some work to alleviate your knowledge deficiency.

All of this cracks me up anyways. You waltz in to wax on about pace-adjusting stats like it's a new thing no one here understands, when we've been talking about it for years and years. You refuse to do any work to prove your points, but love ripping people who do. I've been wrong on the forum many, many times and try to apologize and acknowledge when I am. When the data says the opposite of what I thought heading in, I show my work and acknowledge it. Pointing out that I was wrong this time is funny since I wasn't.

Don't bother responding, you're on ignore.

I just want to say again we hired a painter after an architect when we went from Doug Marrone to Scott Shafer.
Shafer was an embarrassing hire for any P5 team trying to compete at the P5 level. You don’t hire somebody in over their head who never coached a game from the sidelines during a transition phase in your program.
Unless you wanted a cheap hire and pray it would work

Dino Babers is the perfect HC for a program like Syracuse he just needs to actually produce.
1 Bowl in 5 years is not acceptable. He needs a Bowl next year.
He also deserves that year because he wasn’t a cheap hire who was hired for continuation.

that's not entirely true.

2018 - Mitch Wilcox caught 43 balls for 540 yards at South Florida

2017 - USF tight ends combined to catch 27 for 277

2013 - Eastern Illinois TE caught 37 for 306.

We don't know what has factored in to these decisions, nor his decision this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom