After Pitt | Syracusefan.com

After Pitt

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
I had no problem sticking with the staff two losses in a row where we playd more then well enough to win. I have to admit the last two games we went backwards. FSU i can deal with because of the talent disparity but the Cards ......if you look at their results for the year.....this result is 100% unacceptable. Im wavering now. Very sad to admit this beecause I have alot of respect for what SS represents.

I had no problem sticking with the staff two losses in a row where we playd more then well enough to win. I have to admit the last two games we went backwards. FSU i can deal with because of the talent disparity but the Cards ...if you look at their results for the year...this result is 100% unacceptable. Im wavering now. Very sad to admit this beecause I have alot of respect for what SS represents.
It's not the losing, it's the decisions that were made during the games. It's all pretty straightforward actually. I wouldn't be so down if we had made smarter decisions. The dumb decisions keep stacking up.

We're generally on the same page with SU football, but if you look at Louisville's results, it's totally understandable:

A 7 point loss on the road to Auburn.

A 3 point loss Houston.

A 3 point loss to Clemson.

A win on the road over NC State.

I completely forgot what Ville had done this year, how close they are to a 7 or 8 win team.

Too many saw 4-4 before the game and thought this was an average team.

Sadly, the last 2 games of the season, at NC State and against BC, could determine if Shafer is given a 4th year.

If this team is 4-8, one can make an argument that while young and facing 3 brutal teams, SU managed to slightly improve after losing a senior QB early and finally playing a full year with the new OC. The team faced a tough stretch and managed to look better in their win(s) against NC State and/or BC (again assuming one of these happens). Maybe year 4 is do or die for Shafer, but Coyle can say SS deserves to compete with his players after another year of developing new guys. The players seem to be good citizens and students so that is a positive in this era of hoops sanctions.

If the team loses all 3, a new athletic director has to look at a guy who he did not hire for the program that again only won 3 games and failed to look good as the season went along. The best game all season would have been a LOSS against LSU and the team seemed to tire out down the stretch. And remember, this was a schedule most fans seemed to believe was manageable after losses to LSU, FSU and Clemson. Oh and the staff doesn't appear to be getting any "smarter" on game day.

College football feels more and more like the NFL. Its all business, wins carry a lot of weight and coaches change seats rather quickly.

It's not the losing, it's the decisions that were made during the games. It's all pretty straightforward actually. I wouldn't be so down if we had made smarter decisions. The dumb decisions keep stacking up.
i hated the FG as much as anyone and, believe me, a stupid fg can be enough to make me want to fire someone. but when your offense and defense are terrible, it doesn't even matter if you're good bad or indifferent about the gametime stuff

i hated the FG as much as anyone and, believe me, a stupid fg can be enough to make me want to fire someone. but when your offense and defense are terrible, it doesn't even matter if you're good bad or indifferent about the gametime stuff
I don't actually care about the defense being terrible. They've shown they can have an adequate defense.

It's the bad decisions plus the state of the offense.

Sadly, the last 2 games of the season, at NC State and against BC, could determine if Shafer is given a 4th year.

If this team is 4-8, one can make an argument that while young and facing 3 brutal teams, SU managed to slightly improve after losing a senior QB early and finally playing a full year with the new OC. The team faced a tough stretch and managed to look better in their win(s) against NC State and/or BC (again assuming one of these happens). Maybe year 4 is do or die for Shafer, but Coyle can say SS deserves to compete with his players after another year of developing new guys. The players seem to be good citizens and students so that is a positive in this era of hoops sanctions.

If the team loses all 3, a new athletic director has to look at a guy who he did not hire for the program that again only won 3 games and failed to look good as the season went along. The best game all season would have been a LOSS against LSU and the team seemed to tire out down the stretch. And remember, this was a schedule most fans seemed to believe was manageable after losses to LSU, FSU and Clemson. Oh and the staff doesn't appear to be getting any "smarter" on game day.

College football feels more and more like the NFL. Its all business, wins carry a lot of weight and coaches change seats rather quickly.
Winning wouldn't erase the dumb stuff. I can;t get over the habitual bad decisions.

I still think the game-time decisions (time management, the FG and other OC miscues, use of personnel, etc) pale in comparison to the talent deficits we're facing every week. When I look at SU, I don't see coaching incompetence. I see a disparity of talent, experience and depth all over the field. We could have Sabin coaching and I doubt we'd do much better. Our players are overmatched.

Unfortunately, correcting this problem is not going to be easy or quick. Recruiting streams are based on relationships ... those take some time to develop and/or correct. Facilities are also a big issue .. the IPF is a great start. But the Dome plans need to move forward so we have something to show recruits. Up and coming programs need up and coming facilities.

We've seen real, although incremental, progress from the coaching staff. After last year's infirmary, Lester's scheme showed improvement despite problems with the OL, the TE, lack of any vertical passing game, a porous defense that deprived the O of possessions ... it goes on and on. Remember what the staff is working with.

Last edited:
I don't actually care about the defense being terrible. They've shown they can have an adequate defense.

It's the bad decisions plus the state of the offense.
Wow. Couldn't disagree more with this post. When have they showed at all they have an adequate defense? Really? Bad decisions are always overstated when you're losing. They are not losing because of bad decisions. They are losing because they couldn't stop high school teams right now

I still think the game-time decisions (time management, the FG and other OC miscues, use of personnel, etc) pale in comparison to the talent deficits we're facing every week. When I look at SU, I don't see coaching incompetence. I see a disparity of talent, experience and depth all over the field. We could have Sabin coaching and I doubt we'd do much better. Our players are overmatched.

Unfortunately, correcting this problem is not going to be easy or quick. Recruiting streams are based on relationships ... those take some time to develop and/or correct. Facilities are also a big issue .. the IPF is a great start. But the Dome plans need to move forward so we have something to show recruits. Up and coming programs need up and coming facilities.

We've seen real, although incremental, progress from the coaching staff. After last year's infirmary, Lester's scheme showed improvement despite problems with the OL, the TE, lack of any vertical passing game, a porous defense that deprived the O of possessions ... it goes on and on. Remember what the staff is working with.
it's not hard to find terrible teams that have been more competitive with louisville.

Let's be honest, it's the losing too.

Ned Yost makes insane decisions but he won a World Series.

We're generally on the same page with SU football, but if you look at Louisville's results, it's totally understandable:

A 7 point loss on the road to Auburn.

A 3 point loss Houston.

A 3 point loss to Clemson.

A win on the road over NC State.

I completely forgot what Ville had done this year, how close they are to a 7 or 8 win team.

Too many saw 4-4 before the game and thought this was an average team.

It's not a big surprise that their defense shut us down.

But look at how their offense performed in the weeks leading up. Then look at how their offense performed against us.

I guess we're proving to be the testing ground that opposing coaches need to see if their backup or 3rd string QB can play.

Funny thing is, I always thought our defense was better suited to tee off on the drop back guy. But it turns out the opposing coaches have realized that a drop back passer is the way to go against us. They outgained us by 300 yards. That wasn't Louisville football all year, but when it's time to play your conference bunny...

Millhouse said:
it's not hard to find terrible teams that have been more competitive with louisville.

It's not hard to find terrible teams that have been competitive with LSU.

Syracuse comes to mind.

3 point win over BC
1 point win over Wake

24 point win over SU

Chip said:
It's not a big surprise that their defense shut us down. But look at how their offense performed in the weeks leading up. Then look at how their offense performed against us. I guess we're proving to be the testing ground that opposing coaches need to see if their backup or 3rd string QB can play. Funny thing is, I always thought our defense was better suited to tee off on the drop back guy. But it turns out the opposing coaches have realized that a drop back passer is the way to go against us. They outgained us by 300 yards. That wasn't Louisville football all year, but when it's time to play your conference bunny...

Felt the same way. Thought our blitz would be effective, but it generally seems to come up just short, leaving our corners, in soft coverage, on an island. It's a defense that doesn't work unless you put great pressure on the QB. Our pressure is just so-so.

storange said:
3 point win over BC 1 point win over Wake 24 point win over SU

True, but you can't discount the other 4 games. Imagine if SU were in a 3 point game with Clemson late in the fourth quarter. I'll be the next SU HC before that happens.

I couldn't disagree with this more.

This isn't 2008. Do we forget what an overmatched team truly looks like?

We're not competing with FSU and Clemson. But we also shouldn't be getting blown out by USF and Louisville, either.

Felt the same way. Thought our blitz would be effective, but it generally seems to come up just short, leaving our corners, in soft coverage, on an island. It's a defense that doesn't work unless you put great pressure on the QB. Our pressure is just so-so.

Our pressure, along with a lot of other things, has regressed as the season has progressed.

Two years in a row we just keep getting worse and worse as a season wears on.

We're not competing with FSU and Clemson. But we also shouldn't be getting blown out by USF and Louisville, either.

Seriously. One can't claim that we were "so close!" against UVA and Pitt and then claim that our talent is horrible and we shouldn't even expect to compete.

We have talent limitations, no doubt, especially on defense. But on O we have a dynamic QB, several good runners, a couple of good receivers, and an experienced line. I have no doubt that better offensive coaches would be getting more production from that unit than we've seen the past few weeks. Our regression is remarkable.

Chip said:
Our pressure, along with a lot of other things, has regressed as the season has progressed. Two years in a row we just keep getting worse and worse as a season wears on.

We keep playing essentially the same D every game thinking it's going to work. And then teams screen us to death or beat the blitz and complete passes into soft coverage.

It's a defense designed to mask lesser talent.

When you have great athletes, it's not necessary.

Seriously. One can't claim that we were "so close!" against UVA and Pitt and then claim that our talent is horrible and we shouldn't even expect to compete.

We have talent limitations, no doubt, especially on defense. But on O we have a dynamic QB, several good runners, a couple of good receivers, and an experienced line. I have no doubt that better offensive coaches would be getting more production from that unit than we've seen the past few weeks. Our regression is remarkable.

I agree. Running 15 plays a game isn't really a great answer either. Just get a good system in here with guys that can coach it.

That may be true. I'm not saying "we're good". We're not. The point is ... our lack of success correlates better with the aging Dome and our stark talent deficits, than it does with alleged coaching incompetence or inadequacy.

Scooch said:
Seriously. One can't claim that we were "so close!" against UVA and Pitt and then claim that our talent is horrible and we shouldn't even expect to compete. We have talent limitations, no doubt, especially on defense. But on O we have a dynamic QB, several good runners, a couple of good receivers, and an experienced line. I have no doubt that better offensive coaches would be getting more production from that unit than we've seen the past few weeks. Our regression is remarkable.

I wouldn't say we have a dynamic QB. Our runners are really average compared to most of our competition. And we really don't have much at receiver outside of Ish. I thought the Wake and CM tailbacks were better than our backs.

Dungey is a promising, young QB. But he doesn't have great arm strength and is still learning the position. In a year or two, if he can stay healthy, Dungey may be the guy who sets us apart from our peer schools and gives us a legit shot against the conference elite.

True, better coaching, play calling, might make these kids more productive right now. But our margin for error is so slim.

We're exactly where our talent and facilities are ... no more no less. Bottom 3 in our division (maybe in the whole ACC). If you're willing, as you seem to be, to pin this year's defensive collapses on Bullough --- you need to explain why we had a top-25 defense last year with the same DC.

Let's be honest, it's the losing too.

Ned Yost makes insane decisions but he won a World Series.
Yeah, the accumulated losing sucks. It matters. If it was just that I can see giving more time.

The accumulation of bad decisions makes me think things won't get better.