Against Louisville our fastest DB should play LB and spy Jackson | Syracusefan.com

Against Louisville our fastest DB should play LB and spy Jackson

Alsacs

Living Legend
Plain simple devote one guy at LB level with speed to just follow the progressions of Jackson.

Louisville will be able to throw on us.
To win this game though we need to contain Jackson’s running.

Our LBs are veterans and smart but they aren’t fast. I would play a 4-4-3 basically with one of the safeties in the middle spying Jackson.
On passing downs just hope our DL which has done well can get pressure.

basically you need to play more man, less zone, and rather than having tow safeties over the top you have one, and your other safety should spy the QB. I would welcome it, because our over the top safety help has been 2 seconds late all year so we dont sacrifice much.

we dont have db that even comes close to his speed, nor do many teams.
Jackson doesn’t run faster than 4.4.
We have to have some DBs in 4.4-4:5 range.
I don’t expect anyone to be faster but someone who can run with or close to him.

Cordy is sitting on the bench.. I dont think we have any 4.5 dbs.. if we do than every team has 4.3 guys at WR

if we could generate a pass rush without a blitz it would help
Pass rush on passing situations of course but Jackson will break the pocket and scramble which is why we need a speedy safety playing spy.

If we spy Jackson with Thomas-Franklin-Bennett that is like asking who is faster Usain Bolt or Tom Brady.

maybe we play Ellison at LB again. the other recourse is man up , send 6-7 every time and hope you get to him a few times.

Average Ht/Wt & 40 time in DI, D2 and D3

If we have no 4.5 DBs that is even more an indictment on how bad Scott Shafer was at recruiting.

We should have plenty of 4.5 DBs.

15 DB's ran a sub 4.45 at the combine. These aren't as common as you think they are due to a lot of "lying" about 40 times on recruiting videos.

The issue with the spy is they also need to play closer to the LOS. Gets them susceptible to blocks and engaging with OL and TE's much bigger than them.

I would think the only DB that could do this is Rodney Williams or maybe Whitner.

SU NEEDS Jackson to press and force things by somehow frustrating him along with him being in a hurry mentally and breaking down of his mechanics. The "Why haven't scored more points" thing in his head especially after seeing what Wake did the week before. His throws sail or drift or short armed or fires passes too hard and they go through the wr's hands. Last year the wr's were wide open up the middle and the rb's ran too easily so my feeling is that SU can't stop him so stop all the other guys and make Jackson do everything. SU NEEDS the wr's to drop passes and a fumble or 2 from Jackson and/or the RB's.

Or as a last option...have somebody dress up as Bugs Bunny in a dress and see if that distracts him.

15 DB's ran a sub 4.45 at the combine. These aren't as common as you think they are due to a lot of "lying" about 40 times on recruiting videos.

The issue with the spy is they also need to play closer to the LOS. Gets them susceptible to blocks and engaging with OL and TE's much bigger than them.

I would think the only DB that could do this is Rodney Williams or maybe Whitner.
If they put Rodney Williams in that role to match up with Lamar Jackson's speed we might as well play with 10 on defense.

The problem with Jackson is not only speed but his movement...one on one almost everyone fails to tackle him. He has Barry Sanders moves.

Alternatively, each defensive end and linebacker conceals a net under their pads, and throw it on him before he breaks contain.

It seems like that is as close as you can do to get him. He's like water and you have a calendar, the only way to stop the water from escaping is to plug as many holes as you can.

If they put Rodney Williams in that role to match up with Lamar Jackson's speed we might as well play with 10 on defense.

He's our best healthy safety against the run.

He's too slow for this particular role.

The beauty of this is that all of our safeties are!

The way you stop Lamar with this defense is to have a LB spy (I'd go Jonathan Thomas, but we have typically gone Franklin b/c both he and Bennett need to stay on the field) and have the DL rush to keep him in the pocket.

Easier said than done, but we don't have anyone on our defense capable of spying Lamar Jackson.

He's our best healthy safety against the run.
Sure he can hit the hardest and is a good tackler at the line of scrimmage but is horrible out in space. I think he wouldn't even be close to getting a hand on Lamar in the open field. I'm less concerned about the size of the tackler and more concerned with having the speed to be in position to make the play. Lets stick Butler at that spot. He would do well at this I think. As an aside, why can't Carl Jones get on the field. Is he just not a good tackler? He played corner last year and has to be faster.

Sure he can hit the hardest and is a good tackler at the line of scrimmage but is horrible out in space. I think he wouldn't even be close to getting a hand on Lamar in the open field. I'm less concerned about the size of the tackler and more concerned with having the speed to be in position to make the play. Lets stick Butler at that spot. He would do well at this I think. As an aside, why can't Carl Jones get on the field. Is he just not a good tackler? He played corner last year and has to be faster.

I truly think we don't have a speed option to match up w/ Lamar. And few teams do. Playing Butler and taking him out of nickel duties affects both pass coverage and the blitz packages.

The biggest issue with this spy is that you would need to sit Bennett or Franklin (assuming you go 4 man rush w/ 2 safeties and Butler in as the nickel w/ 2 CB's). That's the biggest reason schematically it's troublesome to not spy with a LB. And I do believe they are both banged up, but are still are 2 best defensive players.

balsacs, there is one way to stop jackson and it's not something i can root for. a really bad funny bone injury or cramping that goes away by the evening

balsacs, there is one way to stop jackson and it's not something i can root for. a really bad funny bone injury or cramping that goes away by the evening
Did you get hacked my god.