Air Raid Coaching Tree; The guys who Failed... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Air Raid Coaching Tree; The guys who Failed...

So not really being an X's and O's guy, i went ahead to the place one goes for all the answers on the internet...Wikipedia, to do some reading on the Air Raid Offense and its origins. Looking at the coaching tree from its origination, does anyone have any insight why it DIDNT work out for a few of these guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_offense

Guys who it didnt work out for...

Mark Mangino Kansas...(learned from leach while at OU)
Ruffin McNeal ECU (learned under leach at Texas Tech)

The book is still out for a few others...but you get the point. I know everyone is excited, but the two above worked under leach for a long time and couldnt put it together. Anyone know why?

mangino didnt fail at kansas. They were ranked #1 at 1 point.

mangino didnt fail at kansas. They were ranked #1 at 1 point.

He was National coach of the year from pretty much everywhere imaginable in 2007. At KANSAS. So I would agree.

Didn't Mangino take some lessons from Leach other then the Air Raid? Like locking kids in sheds and verbally abusing them? He was extremely successful, especially for KU standards, until he got fired for going over the top 1 too many times ... If I recall

Lou_C said:
Yeah, if these are examples of failures, you're in good shape. Mangino worked miracles at Kansas, but got fired for non-football things. He is far an away the most (only?) successful Kansas coach in most of our lifetimes. McNeil did great at ECU...that firing is odd to say the least.

Glen Mason had some good KU teams. 1 top ten finish