Akeem is In per, PS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Akeem is In per, PS

Strange that he had no other real offers playing in Miami and with those measurables. Any idea why?

My first guess is that he wants a shot at QB. That is just a guess with no inside info. I would think he thinks he is a D1 QB. The big schools may not think he is a QB at the next level. Kind of like Carter and the running back position.

The staff likes him, so f stars.
Nice athlete but where does he play?

I think it's pretty obvious that he was rated behind the other two QB commits so, hopefully, he is open to a position change.

Sounds like a great kid to have in the program. My question is if he doesn't make it as qb is he fast enough to play elsewhere? He isn't known for good speed is he?

I think it's pretty obvious that he was rated behind the other two QB commits so, hopefully, he is open to a position change.

I would say the new staff will give everyone a shot where they want to. I would say every position on the team is up for grabs.

He will get a shot at QB, and if he doesn't work out there, I'd redshirt him, get him on a good S&C/diet plan so he can pack on 20 lbs of mass and put him at OLB. He's certainly got enough speed to play many positions, which is why he is a great addition.

I love athletic QB's they are smart and typically great athletes as well as many are team leaders

I love athletic QB's they are smart and typically great athletes as well as many are team leaders

Agreed. And if he really is this good of an athlete, he'll have no difficulty shifting to another position if things don't work out at QB.

I would say the new staff will give everyone a shot where they want to. I would say every position on the team is up for grabs.

He will get a shot at QB, and if he doesn't work out there, I'd redshirt him, get him on a good S&C/diet plan so he can pack on 20 lbs of mass and put him at OLB. He's certainly got enough speed to play many positions, which is why he is a great addition.
Or safety.

I like his poise in the pcoket on the video, and seems to get the ball down the field well so arm strength doesn't seem to be a concern.

Love him as an OLB...being a QB he is probably a VG overall athlete. Hope has has good hands...he could get us a few pick 6's.

How is no one freaking out over the pistol formation!! A few years back everyone here hated the pistol and now it looks like we will be seeing it quite a bit!
Grob was a trendsetter.

With Jones size and speed what kind of numbers do you think he would have put up if he played against Kimble's HS competition? They look like the same player, the only thing Jones played against much steeper competition. I don't see why Jones is the one be so quickly projected as a position change. They are basically the same size with same speed, with Jones being the supposed better passer.

With Jones size and speed what kind of numbers do you think he would have put up if he played against Kimble's HS competition? They look like the same player, the only thing Jones played against much steeper competition. I don't see why Jones is the one be so quickly projected as a position change. They are basically the same size with same speed, with Jones being the supposed better passer.

"Projected" is too strong of a word. I think people are just looking at it as 3 QBs in one class is too many, and Jones has the athletic ability to emerge as a contributor elsewhere if it comes to that.

As far as the young gun QBs are concerned, may the best player win.

"Projected" is too strong of a word. I think people are just looking at it as 3 QBs in one class is too many, and Jones has the athletic ability to emerge as a contributor elsewhere if it comes to that.

As far as the young gun QBs are concerned, may the best player win.

projection was just based on what was being talked about here. i have no doubt the staff will give all 6 or 7 qbs a fair shot. all i am saying is kimble is a pretty good athlete himself, and is more of the running qb. jones seems to be the better passing prospect

Here is Jones' evaluation from the Orlando Elite 11 - which he attended in 2011 as an underclassman.

Akeem Jones (Carol City, Fla.) is extremely raw, but also very gifted athletically, so much so that he will be a likely candidate to play another position in college. He has a big, but wild arm. There is plenty to mold and develop, but he must harness his arm. He has tools and because he is young there is plenty of time to work on the nuances of the position fundamentally.

How is no one freaking out over the pistol formation!! A few years back everyone here hated the pistol and now it looks like we will be seeing it quite a bit!

Yeah, a bit worried about that. But Nevada makes it work. They do it at a fast tempo and have lots of zone read elements. The problem we had back then was the line. We have more talent now and they are used to the high tempo. It would have been nice to have a OL coach with some experience of the offense rather than a former pro coach. I suppose he's seen it in his CFL days.

Here is Jones' evaluation from the Orlando Elite 11 - which he attended in 2011 as an underclassman.

Akeem Jones (Carol City, Fla.) is extremely raw, but also very gifted athletically, so much so that he will be a likely candidate to play another position in college. He has a big, but wild arm. There is plenty to mold and develop, but he must harness his arm. He has tools and because he is young there is plenty of time to work on the nuances of the position fundamentally.
I read that and immediately think BJ Daniels.

anyone know about how many recruits we can take next yr?

I like the quote.

Give him to Coach Lester and see what happens.

I am sure they will keep their word and give him a shot at QB. If it doesn't work out, there is a major need at safety, and it might be easier to get playing time moving there. These things work themselves out based on what happens in practice.

Major need at safety?

ALL our DB's below besides Lyn, Reddish and Anderson as they will be our starting corners.

Any one of these guys can play safety:
Morgan
Eskridge
Desir
Whigham (he played corner last year)
Jaston George
Wilkes (starter)

Incoming:
Darius Kelly
Scissum

We don't have a major need at safety at all.

247 Has him rated the 30th dual threat QB in the country. I believe that makes him a higher rated QB than the other 2. All depends on where you look.

247 Has him rated the 30th dual threat QB in the country. I believe that makes him a higher rated QB than the other 2. All depends on where you look.

I believe he meant rated by the staff since he was a last minute offer.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom