Akeem is In per, PS | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Akeem is In per, PS

I believe he meant rated by the staff since he was a last minute offer.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Bees, please check your inbox.

Major need at safety?

ALL our DB's below besides Lyn, Reddish and Anderson as they will be our starting corners.

Any one of these guys can play safety:
Morgan
Eskridge
Desir
Whigham (he played corner last year)
Jaston George
Wilkes (starter)

Incoming:
Darius Kelly
Scissum

We don't have a major need at safety at all.

I glad am you have confidence a bunch of untried players, most extremely undersized and underweight, can play safety for us. I don't.

Jaston George is listed on the SU Athletics football roster at 164 right now. He isn't big enough to play CB, forget about safety. It is ridiculous to think he can play there.

Whigham is listed at 180 pounds. Desir is listed at 179 pounds. You can't play safety effectively at that weight; that is really light even for a cornerback. Look at the disaster we had last season with Jermi Wilkes trying to play FS at 5'9 189 pounds.

Wayne Morgan is essentially the same size as Wilkes. They might have to move him there out of necessity but a FS who is 5'10, 191 is a real problem, even for a really gifted athlete like Wayne.

According to Scott Shafer, Scissum will start out at CB. He expects he will grow into a safety sometime down the road.

The facts are that we lost our starting strong safety to graduation, and our starting free safety is not very good and only has one year of eligibility left. Eskridge is the only safety on the roster with decent size. Kelly is a little undersized but his size is at least servicable. Certainly better than the rest of the cornerbacks, some of whom will pressed into service playing safety this season.

I glad am you have confidence a bunch of untried players, most extremely undersized and underweight, can play safety for us. I don't.

Jaston George is listed on the SU Athletics football roster at 164 right now. He isn't big enough to play CB, forget about safety. It is ridiculous to think he can play there.

Whigham is listed at 180 pounds. Desir is listed at 179 pounds. You can't play safety effectively at that weight; that is really light even for a cornerback. Look at the disaster we had last season with Jermi Wilkes trying to play FS at 5'9 189 pounds.

Wayne Morgan is essentially the same size as Wilkes. They might have to move him there out of necessity but a FS who is 5'10, 191 is a real problem, even for a really gifted athlete like Wayne.

According to Scott Shafer, Scissum will start out at CB. He expects he will grow into a safety sometime down the road.

The facts are that we lost our starting strong safety to graduation, and our starting free safety is not very good and only has one year of eligibility left. Eskridge is the only safety on the roster with decent size. Kelly is a little undersized but his size is at least servicable. Certainly better than the rest of the cornerbacks, some of whom will pressed into service playing safety this season.
I like the idea of Hodge moving to that position.

Duron Singleton was the biggest recruiting miss this off season. Not edwards, not allen, not laray, not spearman, not ogundeko. It was hands down Singleton.

Duron Singleton was the biggest recruiting miss this off season. Not edwards, not allen, not laray, not spearman, not ogundeko. It was hands down Singleton.
Agree i think the staff felt that he and his teamate were in the bag

There are still some Juco Safeties out there according to S***t that haven't committed including Doug Elliot who visited but wasn't offered. Is there a possibility that there still might be a schollie available...someone not being invited back?

Apparently Akeem did not have a commitable offer. Akeem is out.

Well this is interesting...“@PSFootball: Akeem Jones does not have offer from #Syracuse football, sources say http://ow.ly/hxVTm

3066081699_e47c147852_z.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist

All of the heights and weights that are listed are from before spring ball for the 2012 season. Shamarko played the position at maybe 5'10" 205 lbs. So you are saying that if any of those guys mentioned can't gain 10-15 lbs, they can't play the position? Didn't Desir fill in for Shamarko and was his back-up all last season.

Were you watching Morgan in the Pinstripe Bowl? Think of him with another year and 10 lbs, like most of the rest of them.

Marrone also cross trained a lot of them to be able to play both safety positions and some corner.

I am pretty confident that any of them can play the position, you will see in spring ball and the spring game.

All of the heights and weights that are listed are from before spring ball for the 2012 season. Shamarko played the position at maybe 5'10" 205 lbs. So you are saying that if any of those guys mentioned can't gain 10-15 lbs, they can't play the position? Didn't Desir fill in for Shamarko and was his back-up all last season.

Were you watching Morgan in the Pinstripe Bowl? Think of him with another year and 10 lbs, like most of the rest of them.

Marrone also cross trained a lot of them to be able to play both safety positions and some corner.

I am pretty confident that any of them can play the position, you will see in spring ball and the spring game.
The heights and weights were updated during preseason camp, not during the spring.

I am saying 25-40 pounds is a big deal. Shamarko was also the strongest safety we have ever had in the program. None of these kids are remotely close to him in terms of strength. You should look at Shamarko some time and compare his build to any of the players I mentioned. There is no comparison.

I saw Morgan play briefly in the Pinstripe. He was hardly a revelation and by the way, he did not play safety, he played the Okie position. Did you watch the game at all?

Other than Wilkes, Desir and Eskridge have played safety (as well as CB) so far. There has been no cross training at safety for the other CBs on the team.

The safety positions are a big issue with this team. Don't get me wrong, I like Eskridge (though I worry about his judgement) and I like Desir (though I worry about his size). Combine them with Wilkes and Kelly and maybe Morgan too and we should be okay for 2013. I'd like 4 or 5 guys 6'2 and 200-210 pounds and someday we will be there. It just won't be there this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom