Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

For those that think positivty rate is important. (not me). 24 hour pissitivity rate is 22%.. More importantly, 89 new cases in 1 day. As a percent of the student body, 1.7%. UNC was at 0.45%

How do places expect to say open with growth such as this?

Notre dame is in the 1% of schools, so if they're having this many issues think of what this portends to most schools.

According to the WHO, positivity rate is to see if you are testing enough. Should hover around 5%. If its higher you are not, and indicates spread. If you want to use it for seeing if you are running enough tests? OK.

You can tell if it's spreading by the increase in positives. Positivety rate is about testing. (and offers cover). # of positives is the important #.

both are very important. Raw number of positives can be driven by population or tested size.

How do places expect to say open with growth such as this?

Notre dame is in the 1% of schools, so if they're having this many issues think of what this portends to most schools.
Only a few so far, many to follow.

Its a group/cluster situation in a pandemic, in a drinking/social environment. The perfect combination of the two worst things you could do.

They expect to make as much $$ as possible until they shut down. At these rates, the economic costs will be nearly identical, with the added benefit of community spread. Large enough outbreaks will hurt the economy even more.

Only a few so far, many to follow.

Its a group/cluster situation in a pandemic, in a drinking/social environment. The perfect combination of the two worst things you could do.

They expect to make as much $$ as possible until they shut down. At these rates, the economic costs will be nearly identical, with the added benefit of community spread. Large enough outbreaks will hurt the economy even more.

Is there a list of schools that have been open at least a week that HAVEN'T had outbreaks?

I know that we've had a few reported cases among students and faculty, but the upper administrator is taking their sweet time working on a website that can report these numbers (obviously stalling).

Is there a list of schools that have been open at least a week that HAVEN'T had outbreaks?

I know that we've had a few reported cases among students and faculty, but the upper administrator is taking their sweet time working on a website that can report these numbers (obviously stalling).
I'm sure there will be some. It's inevitable, though. Otherwise it wouldn't be a pandemic.

FWIW, my small rural school in the middle of nowhere, Ohio (Ohio Northern University, 3k student enrollment) is in the middle of our second week, and have had 3 positive, unrelated cases out of 729 tests. They have been pretty aggressive with reducing building capacity, and creating/following guidlines. The campus is also pretty big for its student body size, and is very rural (the nearest walmart is 30 minutes away). All of my classes are essentially a hybrid model of learning, with drastically decreased class sizes. The official limit is 50% capacity for rooms, but all the lecture halls are probably 1/3rd capacity - one seat available, then two on each side blocked off. We are expected to watch several recorded video lectures a week, and then the in class portion is essentially an in-depth recitation. For example, one of my classes in normal times was scheduled to have 3 2 hour blocks per week, and a 1 hour recitation (6 credit class). Instead, we have 2 1 hour blocks per week. We are still doing some in person labs, with extra precautions.

Hopefully these factors will be enough to get us through the semester. I'm the old man of the class so I don't know what the party scene looks like on campus, either pre or post covid, so I don't know how we compare to the big schools in the news.

FWIW, my small rural school in the middle of nowhere, Ohio (Ohio Northern University, 3k student enrollment) is in the middle of our second week, and have had 3 positive, unrelated cases out of 729 tests. They have been pretty aggressive with reducing building capacity, and creating/following guidlines. The campus is also pretty big for its student body size, and is very rural (the nearest walmart is 30 minutes away). All of my classes are essentially a hybrid model of learning, with drastically decreased class sizes. The official limit is 50% capacity for rooms, but all the lecture halls are probably 1/3rd capacity - one seat available, then two on each side blocked off. We are expected to watch several recorded video lectures a week, and then the in class portion is essentially an in-depth recitation. For example, one of my classes in normal times was scheduled to have 3 2 hour blocks per week, and a 1 hour recitation (6 credit class). Instead, we have 2 1 hour blocks per week. We are still doing some in person labs, with extra precautions.

Hopefully these factors will be enough to get us through the semester. I'm the old man of the class so I don't know what the party scene looks like on campus, either pre or post covid, so I don't know how we compare to the big schools in the news.

My son played a lacrosse prospect day at Ohio Northern last summer. We stayed at the on campus hotel. He wanted to meet your coach Nat St Laurent. Don't believe he'll be coaching there much longer though. Rising star.

did you even read the article?

Not nearly as bad as that number suggests.
Yes. And the dashboard. 531 new cases since Wednesday. All bars and restaurants closed.

What do you feel I missed?

Last edited: