Alan Griffin entering the draft, will sign with an agent | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin entering the draft, will sign with an agent

So many NBA scouts and GM’s in here. Pretty amazing.
All it takes is one team to see some potential in AG. One team. He has lots of great attributes.
The path to the NBA isn’t draft or bust like it used to be. So many options and avenues for undrafted players. He could also get drafted nobody knows yet.

What is it with these kids that come to Syracuse, I don't know maybe it's in the water or something. Actually I probably know what the reason could be but not gonna bring it up but Griffin is not gonna get drafted, hes not ready and that goes back to my point to the continuous list of players that played at Syracuse that do the same.

Too bad Griff, Kadary and Woody never got to play in front of fans in the Dome.
I made a post about that because like I said before there is nothing like playing in front of 30,000+fans. Now who knows if it will ever in the near future get to that amount of people but it should and hope it does!

But it does. Because in the course of a season an NBA team may have 4 players occupy the 2 two-way contracts, for example, if they dump the 2 players that were initially given the contracts.

Anyway, this is a stupid discussion.
He is not getting one. He can make a G-league roster but he won’t be needed for an NBA roster.

You know as a Syracuse fan I hate what the G league is doing . We lost Darius baizley and I am sure there will be more to come in the future Just for the pure fact that kids want to get paid plain & simple and are getting paid much more in that league than ever before.
In regards to the players it's a very intriguing thing And I am sure will caus a Domino effect across the country .
In summary obviously this is not good for the power 5 the NCAA but its here and it is what it is

Last edited:
All it takes is one team to see some potential in AG. One team. He has lots of great attributes.
The path to the NBA isn’t draft or bust like it used to be. So many options and avenues for undrafted players. He could also get drafted nobody knows yet.

Same NBA experts who were so on the money with Grant and Brisett...and said what great decisions Fair and Battle made coming back those extra years.

That being said...I don’t see AG coming close to getting drafted, but maybe he blows up in the G league or overseas. He showed the talent every 10th game, just wayyyy to inconsistent

Let me explain this very slowly. Just like AG. Neither Q or AG are getting drafted. I guess growing up they were dreaming of not getting drafted and toiling in the G league or playing overseas.
And making more money than you ever dreamed of...while playing a game.

The NBA is the dream and goal of these guys.

Sure and everyone makes their own path to try and get there. Doing so indirectly doesn't change that at all. You are failing to understand that college is just one part of the journey for many not the only part.

He has connections with his dad, but you really need an agent to navigate these waters.

I get putting your name in to get evaluated if you aren't sure, but the sooner you get an agent, the better*.

*Obviously discounting the ongoing stuff that happens with players/agents outside of the rules.

Definitely one strange player

That video as well as anything demonstrates the frustration that was AG. So much ability, and so inconsistent. He had a rough year to be sure. As someone else pointed out, perhaps if there was not Covid shutdown, and he could have played in front of 30,000 fans in the Dome, it might have fueled his efforts a little more. Good luck to the kid.

naaa, we're set at the 3 (Benny, Cole, Jimmy Jr) with Q possibly coming back (dont see him coming back to fight for minutes but)

So 8 it is. Whoever guessed that in the over/under thread gets a knee to the nuts as a prize.

yikes

for real, adds fuel to fire that kids not happy w perceived favortism. Whether right or wrong, thats the risk you take of coaching your kid at any level.

that said, i wish ag went out on slightly better note so wed remember him differently. He had some really good games but then disappeared after saving us v unc.

Same NBA experts who were so on the money with Grant and Brisett...and said what great decisions Fair and Battle made coming back those extra years.

That being said...I don’t see AG coming close to getting drafted, but maybe he blows up in the G league or overseas. He showed the talent every 10th game, just wayyyy to inconsistent

For the record, I think my take on these guys in the past was:

Grant: thought he'd get taken in the 1st round when he left and thought he was a likely 1st round pick if he stuck around, so he was fine either way. Was surprised he ended up sliding to the 2nd, but he's obviously carved out a very good career for himself.

Brissett: had the body of an NBA player but not the skillset yet. I don't think he was ever going to be drafted regardless of staying or leaving, so fair enough either way. TBD if he'll make it in the NBA or not but I'm sure he'll have a pro career somewhere.

Fair: just didn't have an NBA skillset. Body of a SF and skillset of a PF if that.

Battle: 2nd rounder at best; he could create his own shot but didn't shoot it well and didn't really do anything else at an NBA level.

I think I have a fairly good read on how our players project to the NBA. Griffin projects better than Brissett, Fair, and Battle did (as well as Malachi IMO who was absolutely right to leave when he did because his stock was ludicrously high for who he was as a player). I think he's unlikely to be drafted and I wouldn't at all bet on him becoming a long-term NBA player, but I do think he's at least an NBA caliber shooter and athlete and you never really know if things might just click someday. It's weird to think about considering Malachi left after his freshman year, but Griffin will only be a few months older than Malachi was when he was drafted despite Griffin playing 3 years of college ball.