Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont disagree with that. I do as well. I was huge on Quincy the whole recruitment and think hes only scratching the surface of what he will become at cuse. Marek could make a big jump as well and was playing fantastic towards the end of the year and being more aggressive. We need that from him. Braswell is a bit of a unknown still. I just feel griff will give us a huge needed boost! And EVERYONE knows that. Lol. This board sometimes i tell ya :p
Felt like Q finally realized at the end of last season that very few teams could stop him when he goes to the hoop. Looking forward to more of that. Marek dealing assists and Bras knocking down threes seems like a decent trio to me.

Question:

Why would anyone believe that Griffin who comes from a basketball family agree to transfer to ANY school who wanted him to play forward?

His future as a pro is at guard, his father works in the business, he transferred to a school that historically plays and develops tall guards, we only had 3 guards on the roster when he transferred here, but everyone seems to believe he is playing forward...
Not sure what the difference is ... he’ll handle the ball in a similar fashion Eli did. It doesn’t matter if he’s the “2” or “3”, he’ll handle the ball more than anyone except JG3. He’ll have it in his hands way more than Buddy

Because he is going to play the 3 here. He isn't taking Buddy's spot at the two. He won't play the point. That leaves the 3.

100% spot on.

Hopefully, Griffin shows the skills to play guard at the next level a la Hughes, Mali, etc. [after all, 3's and 2's are often interchangeable in our offensive system, depending on skill set].

But he isn't starting over Buddy, and he isn't a 1, and he isn't coming her to come off the bench. Ergo...

We want Griffin at the 3 anyway. He's a really good rebounder for his size.
He doesn't become a worse rebound for his size at the guard spot, we simply become a better rebounding team with him at guard.

The problem with this year's team was defense not offense. This was the worse defensive team I can remember so either we a) stop playing zone because we don't have the size and length to play zone or b) build a roster with the size and length to play the zone properly.

Look at the moves we have made in the off season......

He doesn't become a worse rebound for his size at the guard spot, we simply become a better rebounding team with him at guard.

The problem with this year's team was defense not offense. This was the worse defensive team I can remember so either we a) stop playing zone because we don't have the size and length to play zone or b) build a roster with the size and length to play the zone properly.

Look at the moves we have made in the off season...
So apparently you're convinced Griffin will be playing point guard.

Look at the moves we have made in the off season...

You can complain all you want, but you’re going to be wrong if that's what you think is going to happen.

Last edited:
In the pitch to Griff, JB and company legit said, come replace Eli's position and production. We have the slot open.
which means some scenarios...the coaches don't trust the trio right now for the ACC (likely) OR they like bringing Q off the bench OR they are going to run some of that Marek at the 5 lineups (ugh!)

Last edited:
So coming off the bench? Stop stop. He isn't transferring here to come off the bench.

3 guard rotation is JG3, Buddy and Richmond...and I hope Richmond makes it realllllly hard to take off the court because he has the goods
best 3 play.

Defensively the top of the zone was not good this year it's just the guards on the bench couldn't score, Washington and Goodine were not being guarded when they were on the flood...

You can complain all you want, but your going to be wrong if that's what you think is going to happen.

True. It wasn't ideal to have Hughes as an undersized 3, just like it wasn't ideal to have Mali playing there in 2016. But if the goal is to play the best players instead of worrying about archetypical size at the expense of skill, then Griffin likely plugs into Hughes's vacated spot.

It will be interesting to see whether Guerrier / Dolezaj start at forward , whether Griffin beats one of them out, etc. Assuming he gets a waiver.

I wish this were true, but i'm not seeing an Apples/Apples thing here.
Juzang was actually from the Los Angeles area, so transferring to UCLA makes sense. Plus, there's supposed to be some other 'family related matter,' unrelated to Covid. With Griffin, he's from Ossining, no? That's 250 miles away. Same state, but not exactly 'coming home to be with family.' That's how the NCAA will screw us... again.

Frankly, it's ridiculous. These are unprecedented times, and everyone—NCAA included—should recognize that 'time' is now a luxury we do not all have. Sitting out a year during these times, and for a 'kid' of his age... that's a stiff(-er) 'penalty.'

Griffin took over 10 shots a game in only 18mpg at Illinois last year. He was going to start at Illinois this year, so both those numbers were going to go up.

there is no way he comes here to be part of a 3 guard rotation

True. It wasn't ideal to have Hughes as an undersized 3, just like it wasn't ideal to have Mali playing there in 2016. But if the goal is to play the best players instead of worrying about archetypical size at the expense of skill, then Griffin likely plugs into Hughes's vacated spot.

It will be interesting to see whether Guerrier / Dolezaj start at forward , whether Griffin beats one of them out, etc. Assuming he gets a waiver.
It’s funny because if we had Marek/Q at the 3/4 all year people would complain we don’t have enough scorers.

But 6’6” Griffin who’s a proven scorer and terrific 3pt shooter (not to mention a better rebounder than Eli/Mali) is too “small” for the 3.

so what do people want? Not a lot of 6’9” guys who can shoot the 3 out there...oh but wait, those guys aren’t quick enough to get to the corners!

no one is ever happy lol

What about 2000-20001? We had a senior Damone Brown and junior Preston Shumpert as our forwards. Backed up by Ethan Cole. They both had really good seasons, but neither had shown enough to merit positive thoughts going in to that season. When opportunities present themselves, guys step up and take advantage. It helps to have more horses to do it, and that is why I really hope Griffin can play this year, but if not, I think Marek and Q will really step up.
I'll take Coleman, Owens, Dave Johnson and Leron Ellis, Other bigs on the team were Richard Manning and Conrad McRae, a tremendous small forward , Stevie Thompson had to play guard for us. If we had a true point guard I don't think that team could have been stopped. Also in 2000-2001 we had Wes, Rick Jackson and Kris Joseph with Arinze manning the middle. That was a great group and none of us can forget two forwards named Hakim and Carmelo who won a fairly big game together.

I'll take Coleman, Owens, Dave Johnson and Leron Ellis, Other bigs on the team were Richard Manning and Conrad McRae, a tremendous small forward , Stevie Thompson had to play guard for us. If we had a true point guard I don't think that team could have been stopped. Also in 2000-2001 we had Wes, Rick Jackson and Kris Joseph with Arinze manning the middle. That was a great group and none of us can forget two forwards named Hakim and Carmelo who won a fairly big game together.
That was 2010 that we had Wes

Juzang was actually from the Los Angeles area, so transferring to UCLA makes sense. Plus, there's supposed to be some other 'family related matter,' unrelated to Covid. With Griffin, he's from Ossining, no? That's 250 miles away. Same state, but not exactly 'coming home to be with family.' That's how the NCAA will screw us... again.

Frankly, it's ridiculous. These are unprecedented times, and everyone—NCAA included—should recognize that 'time' is now a luxury we do not all have. Sitting out a year during these times, and for a 'kid' of his age... that's a stiff(-er) 'penalty.'
Last time I checked Syracuse is a lot closer to ossining than Champaign Illinois. Plus with La traffic it might take 3 hours to get home.

Last edited:

It’s a 3.5 drive from Syracuse to Ossining; 13.5hrs from Champaign. That’s pretty significant

I thought in our system the 2 & 3 play very similar roles on offense and the 3 & 4 play identical roles on defense.

I know we have had some 3’s more offensively capable than others but in years we didn’t have much depth of true wings/3 men, I remember more minutes at the 3 played by a big guard than a power forward type. Seems like JB may value offense (guard skills) at the 3 more than defense/rebounding (big man skills)

I am happy to be corrected here, but this is how I recall the past 25 years

The Coleman, Owens team lacked a shooter. Buddy would have thrived on a team like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom