Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought in our system the 2 & 3 play very similar roles on offense and the 3 & 4 play identical roles on defense.

I know we have had some 3’s more offensively capable than others but in years we didn’t have much depth of true wings/3 men, I remember more minutes at the 3 played by a big guard than a power forward type. Seems like JB may value offense (guard skills) at the 3 more than defense/rebounding (big man skills)

I am happy to be corrected here, but this is how I recall the past 25 years
I think our ideal 3 is CJ Fair/KrisJo. Guys who could create their own shot, big time scorers, and also good height for the back of the zone.

However, sometimes the roster you’re dealt will dictate it. When we had Fair/KrisJo we had guards capable of creating for others - Scoop, Dion, Ennis, MCW, Triche, etc.

Eli had the role he did last year due to our guards not really being great at creating for others (JG3 was decent for a freshman). If we had Triche and MCW in the backcourt this year, Eli wouldn’t have handled the ball nearly as much. If Griffin was here 2010 - 2016, I think he’s a 6th man and the first guard off the bench - who could play the 3 for stretches

Haven’t heard that direct “statement” from my guy but us rolling out a forward trio of Q, Marek and Bras...might be our worst crop of forwards I can remember

I honestly dont see us making the ncaa’s without him.
Really? Worse than freshman Brissett and sophomore Moyer/freshman Marek? No way. Marek should really be a force as a senior. And Quincy is going to be very good, though it could take another year until his full college potential is realized. With Griffin on the team next season, it just makes us that much better at forward.

We've been hearing Marek has been working on his shooting for 2 years. Until he shows it I am skeptical.
he was injured last summer and couldn’t work on his shot. JB said that was that aspect of his game he was going to focus on in the last off season, but he was denied that after injuring his wrist. I think he can be a decent threat from the outside if he puts in the time. But Griffin would legit make us a lot better at forward.

Really? Worse than freshman Brissett and sophomore Moyer/freshman Marek? No way. Marek should really be a force as a senior. And Quincy is going to be very good, though it could take another year until his full college potential is realized. With Griffin on the team next season, it just makes us that much better at forward.
I mean Oshae > Q and Marek especially his freshmen year. He regressed (nba on the brain) but his freshmen year...pretty special. You dont see a lot of SU forwards average damn near a double double, yet he was a freshmen.

It’s a 3.5 drive from Syracuse to Ossining; 13.5hrs from Champaign. That’s pretty significant
That's a significant difference, sure. My point is that it's not the same thing as moving back to your hometown. Ossining to Syracuse is the same distance as Syracuse to Penn State.

If you want to sell me on a 3.5 hour drive being the same thing as Juzang getting home cooking/a hospital visit(?) a half-hour away, i'll buy it. But, I'm not the NCAA, who would be opening itself to a world of difficult precedent.

I wish this were true, but i'm not seeing an Apples/Apples thing here.
Juzang was actually from the Los Angeles area, so transferring to UCLA makes sense. Plus, there's supposed to be some other 'family related matter,' unrelated to Covid. With Griffin, he's from Ossining, no? That's 250 miles away. Same state, but not exactly 'coming home to be with family.' That's how the NCAA will screw us... again.

Frankly, it's ridiculous. These are unprecedented times, and everyone—NCAA included—should recognize that 'time' is now a luxury we do not all have. Sitting out a year during these times, and for a 'kid' of his age... that's a stiff(-er) 'penalty.'
His mom lives in Ossining, which is just 3 hours away. His dad is in Toronto during the season. So Syracuse is the perfect halfway point between the two.

Last edited:
That's a significant difference, sure. My point is that it's not the same thing as moving back to your hometown. Ossining to Syracuse is the same distance as Syracuse to Penn State.

If you want to sell me on a 3.5 hour drive being the same thing as Juzang getting home cooking/a hospital visit(?) a half-hour away, i'll buy it. But, I'm not the NCAA, who would be opening itself to a world of difficult precedent.
So when someone's relative gets sick and a kid can't get home in time to help because the NCAA wouldn't grant them a waiver how is that going to look?

So when someone's relative gets sick and a kid can't get home in time to help because the NCAA wouldn't grant them a waiver how is that going to look?
What?
"...gets sick?" Is the NCAA supposed to predict family illness for every athlete who wants to move? I'd imagine if/when that relative gets sick the NCAA would evaluate that particular, real situation. Not a hypothetical.

What?
"...gets sick?" Is the NCAA supposed to predict family illness for every athlete who wants to move? I'd imagine if/when that relative gets sick the NCAA would evaluate that particular, real situation. Not a hypothetical.
No but they are supposed to have the interest of the student athlete and in a global pamdemic if a kid wants to be closer to home how do you deny that?

The more I see Griffin and his highlights the more I see Malachi than Hughes. Definitely a next level 2 but a good fit for the 3 at SU. That would be a very good thing next year with the waiver in terms of what you are getting.

No but they are supposed to have the interest of the student athlete and in a global pamdemic if a kid wants to be closer to home how do you deny that?
That's the ideal that we project for them. But, they don't seem to act in that manner often/consistently.
The other half of their charge, though, is determining what is a legitimate claim, versus some specious manipulation of their rules.

might be our worst crop of forwards I can remember
imho, you are seriously under rating the returning forwards. after a slow start, quincy exhibited strong play in conference play - he was top 10 in the acc in both offensive rebounding percentage and block percentage. on the offensive end he hit over 57% from the field (in conference games), good for 11th in the conference.

and marek was one of the best all around forwards in the conference, top 20 in multiple categories, albeit in a non-featured role. and i expect him to have a much more up front role if there is a 20-21 season:
!dolezaj.jpg

i am very glad the team landed griffin and i hope he gets his waiver, but the chicken little act if he does not is way overblown

The Coleman, Owens team lacked a shooter. Buddy would have thrived on a team like that.
I never liked Matt Roe much either :p

Yes, I do realize he transferred for his senior year, but he was with those guys for 2 years.

imho, you are seriously under rating the returning forwards. after a slow start, quincy exhibited strong play in conference play - he was top 10 in the acc in both offensive rebounding percentage and block percentage. on the offensive end he hit over 57% from the field (in conference games), good for 11th in the conference.

and marek was one of the best all around forwards in the conference, top 20 in multiple categories, albeit in a non-featured role. and i expect him to have a much more up front role if there is a 20-21 season:
View attachment 181865

i am very glad the team landed griffin and i hope he gets his waiver, but the chicken little act if he does not is way overblown
You wikipedia all the stats you want. I watched the games. The fact that the coaches went out and grabbed a transfer is all the proof anyone needs and pitched him to slide right into Eli's spot. A trio of Q, Marek and Bras is bottom of the ACC.

I mean...I would probably take Brown and Shump over Q and Marek...can't lie
How about Marek and Damone Brown?? We could have set the world record for skinniest forwards ever, lol

What they lacked, was a PG.

Which shoulda been Kenny Anderson.

Poor Stevie tried bravely, but it just wasn't his game.

I agree. I was just pointing out that Roe was a shooter and he played with DC foe 3 years and Billy and DC for 2.

View attachment 181865

Get that @#!@% out of here, Moqui -- your objective data is no match for H0T Takes!

His mom lives in Ossining, which is just 3 hours away. His dad is in Toronto during the season. So Syracuse is the perfect halfway point between the two.
Is there a closer P5 school he could have even gone to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom