Albany Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Gameday...

You make an excellent point. Desko had a more old-school approach to players "earning" their playing time and waiting their turn behind the established starters. Like everything, his approach had its pros and cons. Of course, Desko didn't have a lot of highly touted recruits - those he did have he played in their freshman year - i.e.e Trimboli, Hiltz. Porter didn't start until his junior year.

I think this year's freshman class is showing their talent and will benefit big time from playing NOW. How quickly they will improve will be answered in the upcoming stretch of games starting with MD.
In many of our recruiting posts I’ve always been pro youth movement. Kids are playing all year, have specialized coaches, go to more camps, etc and are more prepared to play early on.

Jack Van Valkenburgh is my nephew. Awesome kid!!!
His Dad Zach coaches my kid. Awesome guy and I was pulling for Jack to do well. His D let him down many times. Only one game, but he looked better than the starter to me.

Kyle's Player-of-the-game:

Joey S.

5 goals on 7 shots
funny how one's impression of a player can change radically from one game to the next. From an antsy show off to a player who reminded me of Chris Gray, Spallina learned a lot very fast. He has very strong legs and hips, quick feet, a very accurate shot from well disguised crosse angles, and a fire that I enjoy. I think it will take him some time to translate all that to the same kind of play against Maryland and UVA, but I am excited about this kid.

A second observation about this game. The defense played very well. Most of the time they were on islands without slides for all the Albany players. When they did slide, it was warranted and well done. I have said many times that I think confidence in a solid goalie is the essence of good defense. Yesterday, I think that confidence showed all game long and was well justified. I think the test will come when they need regular and well organized sliding.

He should start, his Defenseman did not help him. But he made some good saves. Wish him good luck the rest of the season.
He looked great at the world games this summer. Was surprised he didn’t start as well.

His Dad Zach coaches my kid. Awesome guy and I was pulling for Jack to do well. His D let him down many times. Only one game, but he looked better than the starter to me.

I’ve wondered where he ended up since Caz folded. Where is he coaching?

I’ve wondered where he ended up since Caz folded. Where is he coaching?
He was only at Caz for like a year. He hasn't been there in a few years. I don't think he coaches locally, just runs some goalie clinics.

He was only at Caz for like a year. He hasn't been there in a few years. I don't think he coaches locally, just runs some goalie clinics.
Correct he does clinics called The Save School

Great win. A good confidence booster. I wish we didn't have HC on Sunday - a nothing game that can cause sloppiness and risk injury before our first real game on the 18th.
Team needs game reps. Risk of injury - just as likely in practice

Albany plays Cornell this week I think so we get a quick idea on comparing to what is supposed to be a solid team.. Cornell scrimmaged Colgate and handled them pretty easily but not much to tell given not all the starters played.

Yes, Zak is awesome. He’s married to my sister Chris.

I freaked out and was here to admit I was wrong.
You sure did. You are perfectly welcome to freak out if you're able to then come back and laugh at yourself if it blows up in your face, so you're good :)

Late to the party on this, but I was really impressed by the Syracuse performance this weekend. It was great to see an offense that moved the ball so well, with tons unselfish play. This is a unit that has so many weapons and they already look very comfortable playing with each other. I thought Spallina was fantastic and that he let the game come to him - he created his own shot plenty of times but also finished plays almost automatically that were set up for him. The competition will certainly improve but this seems like a group that has a very solid foundation.

One worry point I saw in the Albany game was the performance of three of the freshmen, Leo, Rhoa and Kempney. All three seemed to have issues with footwork and they all looked a little shaky in the early going. That said they all finished with a goal in the game. Kempney did have three turnovers and seemed to lose his spot in the second line rotation to Rhoa. The tools are their for Kempney (he looks extremely fast and has a big shot) but might need a little more seasoning before he gets regular playing time.

Pre-Holy Cross, I wanted to point out that what I was focused on was the performance of Michael Leo - only one goal in his first two games on five total shots, as a first line middie. But he was great against HC, with two goals and two assists, one of which a beautiful cross crease pass to find Spallina on the door step. I've noticed that since he draws a short stick he has been initiating a lot of offense, dodging down the left side alley to either pass through x or take a shot. You can see his confidence growing (he dusted a Crusader shorty and scored an easy goal). Again, competition will improve but he will be key to keeping defenses honest.

Defense has been night and day since last year. It's not just the individual play (broken record here but competition will only get better) but the slide packages have been perfectly timed in all three games. There have been a few miscues of course, but last year the defense was leaving opposing offensive players wide open on the door step with alarming frequency. This hasn't been the case this year at all, as slides come fast and aggresive, usualy leading to a turnover.

Clary has been a surprise as the number one defender, I thought he was great against Graydon Hogg, holding the best Albany player to one goal, which wasn't an easy one. A little less good against McInter of Holy Cross but your really nitpicking in this case. Shorties have held up under pressure though their workload will certainly increase. And of course you can't say enough good things about Will Mark. I give lots of credit to Petro for working hard this offseason to imrpove this unit. You can tell its not just having better goalie play, but lots of little changes have made a huge improvement. Everyone seems to playing in synch and knows what the other will do. This finally looks like a real unit.

Anyways, great to finish this opening stretch 3-0. Things are about to get a lot harder but they are certainly passing the eye test right now. Face-offs remain a concern but Richiusa has been doing okay. Better than expected against both Vermont and Albany I would say but not quite as good against Holy Cross. That is still my biggest worry but you can see some potential in that area of the field.

Late to the party on this, but I was really impressed by the Syracuse performance this weekend. It was great to see an offense that moved the ball so well, with tons unselfish play. This is a unit that has so many weapons and they already look very comfortable playing with each other. I thought Spallina was fantastic and that he let the game come to him - he created his own shot plenty of times but also finished plays almost automatically that were set up for him. The competition will certainly improve but this seems like a group that has a very solid foundation.

One worry point I saw in the Albany game was the performance of three of the freshmen, Leo, Rhoa and Kempney. All three seemed to have issues with footwork and they all looked a little shaky in the early going. That said they all finished with a goal in the game. Kempney did have three turnovers and seemed to lose his spot in the second line rotation to Rhoa. The tools are their for Kempney (he looks extremely fast and has a big shot) but might need a little more seasoning before he gets regular playing time.

Pre-Holy Cross, I wanted to point out that what I was focused on was the performance of Michael Leo - only one goal in his first two games on five total shots, as a first line middie. But he was great against HC, with two goals and two assists, one of which a beautiful cross crease pass to find Spallina on the door step. I've noticed that since he draws a short stick he has been initiating a lot of offense, dodging down the left side alley to either pass through x or take a shot. You can see his confidence growing (he dusted a Crusader shorty and scored an easy goal). Again, competition will improve but he will be key to keeping defenses honest.

Defense has been night and day since last year. It's not just the individual play (broken record here but competition will only get better) but the slide packages have been perfectly timed in all three games. There have been a few miscues of course, but last year the defense was leaving opposing offensive players wide open on the door step with alarming frequency. This hasn't been the case this year at all, as slides come fast and aggresive, usualy leading to a turnover.

Clary has been a surprise as the number one defender, I thought he was great against Graydon Hogg, holding the best Albany player to one goal, which wasn't an easy one. A little less good against McInter of Holy Cross but your really nitpicking in this case. Shorties have held up under pressure though their workload will certainly increase. And of course you can't say enough good things about Will Mark. I give lots of credit to Petro for working hard this offseason to imrpove this unit. You can tell its not just having better goalie play, but lots of little changes have made a huge improvement. Everyone seems to playing in synch and knows what the other will do. This finally looks like a real unit.

Anyways, great to finish this opening stretch 3-0. Things are about to get a lot harder but they are certainly passing the eye test right now. Face-offs remain a concern but Richiusa has been doing okay. Better than expected against both Vermont and Albany I would say but not quite as good against Holy Cross. That is still my biggest worry but you can see some potential in that area of the field.
As an ex close defender, it's amazing how much strong goalie play settles the entire defensive unit.

It's heartening to not see many (any?) of the needless slides that created so many shots for opposing offenses last year (so far). I wonder how much of those awful slides last year might've been influenced by a lack of confidence in goalie play.

I truly believe Mark's stellar play has helped organize the defense to improve their slide timing. I haven't attended any games this year so I don't know if he also may be a better communicator, too.

About Leo. Saw him play many times but never saw him come out of the box as a middie and then run down the alley. He usually played from Hiltz's position in hs. Did not dodge from longer distances, but patrolled the right side from behind thru GLE. His leftie shot was slightly side arm like Hiltz's. He dodged around the goal very cleverly and passed much like Hiltz. I was shocked to see him stumble out of the box during his first couple of games. It may be that his only opportunity on the field is at the box middie. He's a bright, athletic kid, who will eventually adjust and contribute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom