Army Gameday... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Army Gameday...

Hiltz really hasn't been the same player since his season ending injury. March was the OC his frosh year and the Offense didn't radically change so I am not 100% sure what it is but he hasn't been the same player. Mark's a real good goalie but the elevation in competition I think has shown some cracks. I don't want to say the competition"exposed" him because he's still a very good goalie but I think against the highest level of competition he's more of a very good goalie versus a great one.
The story i've heard from players on the team is Hiltz isnt exactly the hardest worker (weightroom, classroom, etc). I think maybe he may have just peaked in terms of what his natural ability will allow without going the extra mile.

not sure why the knives are out for march. the defense was much worse than the offense yesterday...

this team does not have the ssdm talent or depth to make a serious run. that is what will ultimately hold them back this season, not an occasionally frustrating offense...

The story i've heard from players on the team is Hiltz isnt exactly the hardest worker (weightroom, classroom, etc). I think maybe he may have just peaked in terms of what his natural ability will allow without going the extra mile.
I’ve heard the same. Practice how you play. Maybe send him and the team a message by sitting him. Unfortunately based on what I’ve witnessed I really don’t think he would care.

I haven't heard that myself but that's brutal news if true. Would explain why he seems to not have plateaued or even slightly regressed from his frosh year to now.

A few interesting ideas for sure.

Just to clarify, Thomson is a Sophomore.

Hiltz really hasn't been the same player since his season ending injury. March was the OC his frosh year and the Offense didn't radically change so I am not 100% sure what it is but he hasn't been the same player. Mark's a real good goalie but the elevation in competition I think has shown some cracks. I don't want to say the competition"exposed" him because he's still a very good goalie but I think against the highest level of competition he's more of a very good goalie versus a great one.
I think you're right about Mark - good but not great. Easy for me to say from the couch!
Hiltz is not know for his workout routines or great athleticism - just very skilled. I was expecting him to be a leader this year.

With respect to any current staff member - If you're making a list of the greatest Xs and Os coaches in lacrosse history, you wouldn't be going too far down the list before naming both Desko and Donahue. But even Desko took a little time. If you look back at the records, he was fair in close games for his first handful of years, then we seemingly always won tight games or pulled out games
You have to realize though that Desko and Donahue were doing all the X and O’s all the way back before the 83 championship they had way more experience then anyone on the current staff March is fine he needs to prioritize the man up if they get that on track Syracuse can beat anyone

not sure why the knives are out for march. the defense was much worse than the offense yesterday...

this team does not have the ssdm talent or depth to make a serious run. that is what will ultimately hold them back this season, not an occasionally frustrating offense...

I think, at least for me, with the offense there are possibilities. You can move guys from the second to the first line, the first line to attack, someone to the man up unit. Some different player combination might unlock things. You can tinker with the offense and maybe get better performances. If Thomson just had a bad game, then why not try Birtwistle in his place? Etc.

With the defense, I don’t see those same possibilities. I don’t think there is a Steve Ianzito waiting on the bench to be discovered as a lock down SSDM. They’ve rolled out something like eight different guys at short stick and I’m still not sure who the second best guy is after Rice. The only big move I see left is moving Olexo to close, which I don’t think solves the most pressing issue (ssdms). Anyways, I think that’s why there is more focus on the offense.

That said, I think talk of getting rid of March is craziness and seems like a total overreaction.

I like this group with adding Spallina, Birt, and a combo of Hiltz/Mule at attack. I think Rhoa and Birtwistle are too good to be on the bench as much as they are.
I agree both need to be on the field more. Birtwhistle just scores goals and he can't do that on the bench. Rhoa took a big step this yr and I would move Leo to attack drop Thompson to 2nd line and move Birtwhistle and Rhoa to first line with English. 2nd line Stevens, Thompson and Hiltz.

A few interesting ideas for sure.

Just to clarify, Thomson is a Sophomore.

I agree and it's ok to have a good goalie no reason to bench him. He still makes some crazy saves in big situations and is capable of having a 20 save game here and there. I also think our SSDMs are struggling so guys are getting clean shots off on Mark too. With better SSDM play Mark might be a little better too.

I didn't wanna say it but every time I saw him last season he was hammered. I heard he's a big party guy so maybe he's just not working hard. Everyone is good at this level so if u don't work hard it shows. Maybe a captain can talk with him about making some sacrifices for the team this season and save the partying til after the season. He just looks slow and unathletic lately out there. Only he can make changes it's up to him.

I didn't wanna say it but every time I saw him last season he was hammered. I heard he's a big party guy so maybe he's just not working hard. Everyone is good at this level so if u don't work hard it shows. Maybe a captain can talk with him about making some sacrifices for the team this season and save the partying til after the season. He just looks slow and unathletic lately out there. Only he can make changes it's up to him.
Not sure we should be speculating about the party habits of Hiltz on an Internet forum.

You have to realize though that Desko and Donahue were doing all the X and O’s all the way back before the 83 championship they had way more experience then anyone on the current staff March is fine he needs to prioritize the man up if they get that on track Syracuse can beat anyone

Prioritize man up and they’re undefeated. EMO is that important.

Not sure we should be speculating about the party habits of Hiltz on an Internet forum.
Very true I mean nothing wrong partying. Someone said his teammates said he doesn't work hard. I root for the kid he's definitely very talented. If that is the case hopefully he realizes he's to talented to not work at it. Maybe a move to midfield will click on something and he gets going.

U know we all forget that if Stevens was on the wing last night it might not have even went into OT. No doubt he snags a few of those 50/50 GBs that Army kept getting. I feel like everyone from players to fans want to finally win the big game so it's frustrating but I can def see this team finally getting that big win and then bang run off a few big ones. Sports is like that sometimes. Tough to get that first one then once u do they start to come much easier. Gotta beat High Point, Hopkins and Delaware then will feel much better going into ACC play. Hopkins will be that 1st big win.

Simple solution on offense is putting Rhoa on the first line. Best dodger this team has and possibly the best shooter. He shouldn’t be sitting on the bench as long as he did in the 2nd half. Easily scores 2 more if given the opportunity.

I think if Stevens had been healthy, the second line would have seen more time. Hottle played a lot of defense and spent a lot of time on the wings, and while the announcers kept mentioning McCarthy I don't know if I saw him actually touch the ball. With the third spot on the second line not producing much, I think the coaches held it against the entire line. Birtwistle and Rhoa are both fantastic players and coaches need to figure out how to get them both involved more. No way Rhoa should ever finish a game with just two shots.

I think if Stevens had been healthy, the second line would have seen more time. Hottle played a lot of defense and spent a lot of time on the wings, and while the announcers kept mentioning McCarthy I don't know if I saw him actually touch the ball. With the third spot on the second line not producing much, I think the coaches held it against the entire line. Birtwistle and Rhoa are both fantastic players and coaches need to figure out how to get them both involved more. No way Rhoa should ever finish a game with just two shots.
I can see that but it can’t happen. He needed more run in the 2nd. Get the best players on the field and stop waiting for guys like Thomson to produce. Rhoa has produced against the best teams unlike some of the others that never leave the field.

I'd go Birt-Spallina-Mule.

English-Rhoa-Leo.
Stevens-Thomson-Hiltz.

I really like Hiltz. I am not sure there is a player in college lacrosse with better hands/wrists. But he brought almost nothing against Maryland and Army and he, Mule, Spallina, have too many traits in common. This also balances out the righties/lefties.

I'd go Birt-Spallina-Mule.

English-Rhoa-Leo.
Stevens-Thomson-Hiltz.

I really like Hiltz. I am not sure there is a player in college lacrosse with better hands/wrists. But he brought almost nothing against Maryland and Army and he, Mule, Spallina, have too many traits in common. This also balances out the righties/lefties.
I'd move Mule to midfield and go English-Spallina-Hiltz. English is a good decision maker and has some range to pop goals in transition + bringing a #2 pole to the high wing could put pressure on defenses as it could make his close defender uncomfortable, having to guard up top in open space. Love Birt but I am not sold on him as a full-time facilitator of an offense at attack.

1st Midfield Rhoa-Birt-Leo

2nd Midfield Mule-Thomson-Stevens

Last edited:
after his phenom frosh year i guess i expected more.
Still plenty of season left for guys to get going. That's why all the bench Will Mark and all the changes after taking two of the top teams in the country to OT and not for a stupid rule and missed open cage the team is undefeated. I also believe if Stevens was on the wing the game might not go to OT and SU wins. Will Mark can get hot so can Hiltz he can get his game back. Small moves like moving Thomson to 2nd line and Birtwhistle or Rhoa to 1st and I even like Leo or Birt at attack and Hiltz to midfield. Maybe he finds his game and u move him back. No reason to bench guys and give up on them after two tough but winnable losses against the best. The team needs to learn how to win these games and they still can. Once they get that first big win then more will come. This team is legit everyone forgets the last few seasons. Last yr after the Gavin yr everyone said if our goalie is close to 50% I'm happy now let's bench an AA goalie. Last week bench Mule yet he had a great game except for the bad open look. Gotta let the guys play and u don't want to peak early season u wanna peak middle to end of season and ride that into tournament. Taht big win is coming and more will follow. The team is still young while also incorporating a few grad transfers. Let it all fall into place. Without Mark and that ridiculous save that game doesn't go into OT yet bench him. Lol

i was one to say thing bout mark like he just doesn’t look same as last year and he seems to be guessing more then reacting. Never said bench him but did say would like to see mccool get some valuable mins. If that he in games we should def win splitting half for each goalie or even just giving mccool a qtr. Sometimes can throw off other team shooting trying to figure out new goalie. Also sometimes when sit starting goalie even just for little bit for someone else then go back they can tend to step it up even more so they don’t give coach option to pull him. Either way think mark has to step it up. He isn’t doing terrible but isn’t at level use to or his AA honors(my opinion). He seems be getting beat alot on near side shots with shooters having no or not much of angle so if he has to hug crap out of post or what. But also think the defense should try to force offensives into shots mark likes or best at saving which honestly not even sure what that would be. Hopefully he steps it up and starts playing like know he can and has.

As for offense and hiltz they def need move ball faster on emo n get defense moving more. Birt n roha def need to be on field more and touch ball more no doubt. March should have set plays for each guy he has out there that works to their strengths. Not saying every play so be design for 1 guy but when really need goal n whatever matchup ya like or working run play to attack that defender to open up our guy. Joey just needs to learn he isn’t gonna body defenders as most of them prob been playing d1 longer than him and bigger and very good. If he dodges he has to go hard DO NOT stop to body them up. Not gonna win that battle most times. Also limit the btb shots unless it clearly improves chances to score if does not keep it at home. Also think everyone knows that is his thing n wait for it hope he smart enough to realize that n fake the btb n go other way hard. Mule needs to dodge with confidence he seems be over thinking it as he goes can kinda see hesitate at times. As for hiltz get him more involved if it’s attitude issue have captains speak to him if doesn’t work demote to middie. I’d also like to see tenaglia or whatever his name get a chance. He seems have some speed n most of goals he has in reserve time is sweeping across top shooting on run with some good power. Have hottle who has speed dodge from top prob will beat his man n then fish n move it opposite side for shooter. Def need fix emo and tell guys don’t need the perfect shot but need a quality shot.

Defense clearly been impressed with and they have improved. Do think they tend to slide to early and often times not needed. Yes dmids at times struggle but gonna happen as none really have played alot of time there besides rice( really miss aviles). But if dmid is beat but shooter don’t have good angle for shot don’t slide let them shoot n that’s gotta be save from mark. But like see defense be more stick checkish to where abuse other guys but within reasons n don’t draw flags. Make them think twice that gonna just be able to run around making easy passes or shots. But this team is talented and need to win these big games. Coaches also gotta help them keep calm n composed when game is on line. Having feeling gait kinda trust his players little to much where he puts it all in their hands when on line instead of maby giving little bit of helping hand. Either way gotta pull some ranked wins off or be long off season again .

Anyone know why Titus doesn't play at SSDM? We obviously have a huge need at SSDM, I haven’t seen him play at all against Maryland or Army, and I just realized that he was actually a pre-season 3rd team All American! Something doesn‘t make sense, right?

We will need him (or another strong SSDM besides Rice) against Hopkins. Wow, Hopkins looked really good against Virginia today. Well balanced team with no weaknesses. Their offense was what Gait wishes we had with their passing and off ball movement. They use a Lot of pick plays, too, which is what we should be doing. Uh oh, the Hopkins game is kind of a make-or-break game for our season, but they look like a better team than us…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom