Ali-Norton I | Syracusefan.com

Ali-Norton I

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan

March 31, 1973

#1 Ali 41-1 vs #8 Kenny Norton 29-1 (recently deceased)

They had a great series of fights

This encounter was considered by many, a mismatch

Joe Frazier, the only fighter to defeat Ali, was ringside for commentary

Last edited:
Norton's style gave Ali fits. I remember seeing the Holmes vs. Norton fight and that was a war. Just watched a documentary on ESPN 30 for 30 on the NO MAS fight between Leonard and Duran. Worth seeing if you like the fight game.

Norton's style gave Ali fits. I remember seeing the Holmes vs. Norton fight and that was a war. Just watched a documentary on ESPN 30 for 30 on the NO MAS fight between Leonard and Duran. Worth seeing if you like the fight game.
Used to love it and watched every big fight during the era when you could name the top 5-10 fighters in each of the premier divisions. Then they got stupid and there were so many different sanctioning bodies and different champions in the same weight classes. They started unification bouts.

All championship fights were 15 rounds until Korean Dok Koo Kim died of injuries suffered in the ring against Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. After that they were shortened to 12 rounds.

I attended fights at the War Memorial in support of local fighters Billy Backus and Hal "TNT" Carroll.

I even had a short stint as a trainer/manager of a heavyweight who competed in the AAU's. Under my tutelage he earned the nickname "Canvasback."

Thanks for the info. I think I saw the Mancini fight you mentioned. I also remember the Mancini vs. Alexis Arguello fights and I also remember Arguello losing to a great fighter twice whose name escapes me and whose downfall was drugs. Speaking of the War Memorial, I believe it was at the Memorial where I saw the Syracuse Nats. playing basketball.

Muhammad Ali vs Ken Norton II Sept. 10, 1973 Rounds 1 - 12 & Interviews

Muhammad Ali vs Ken Norton III - Sept. 28, 1976 - Entire fight

Their records at the time
Muhammad Ali: 52-2
Ken Norton: 37-3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online