All Star game | Syracusefan.com

All Star game

Briancuse

Living Legend
Is anyone watching? How about my guy Degrom, absolutely filthy. 10 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 strikeouts.

The Franchise Four thing before the game was kind of cool. I think most of the fan bases got it right.

I wonder if MLB can utilize some of these young faces to market its way back to a "National Sport."

Cute little Allstar game story from tonight.

Royal fans might be the most insecure fans I have ever met. I am watching this game on the road and their are a bunch of Royal fans where I am watching. They take any slight like you are challenging the honor of the family. I had two guys try telling Lorenzo Cain was the most valuable player in the baseball. I almost felt bad for people who live in KC area and aren't Royals fans.

That fanbase is honestly nuts. AL looked good tonight. Deeper league. NL has more power arms but the AL has a deeper positional lineup.

Royal fans might be the most insecure fans I have ever met. I am watching this game on the road and their are a bunch of Royal fans where I am watching. They take any slight like you are challenging the honor of the family. I had two guys try telling Lorenzo Cain was the most valuable player in the baseball. I almost felt bad for people who live in KC area and aren't Royals fans.

That fanbase is honestly nuts. AL looked good tonight. Deeper league. NL has more power arms but the AL has a deeper positional lineup.
Tell them Chris Chambliss says hi.

Tell them Chris Chambliss says hi.
Dude, I am scared of this fanbase. I told them respectfully I could see Cain as a top 10 player in the AL but not MVP. Then, I said Alex Gordon is a nice player but he shouldn't have been a starter to the ASG if it meant anything. Then they rattled off all these stats saying how Alex Gordon was the best LF in baseball because of his defense and outfield assists. I said he was a good player but not best LF in the AL.

They are insane. I told them the team is not hateable and the rest of the country outside of SF rooted for them. Royals fans want to be hated like the Patriots are. It is nuts.

Dude, I am scared of this fanbase. I told them respectfully I could see Cain as a top 10 player in the AL but not MVP. Then, I said Alex Gordon is a nice player but he shouldn't have been a starter to the ASG if it meant anything. Then they rattled off all these stats saying how Alex Gordon was the best LF in baseball because of his defense and outfield assists. I said he was a good player but not best LF in the AL.

They are insane. I told them the team is not hateable and the rest of the country outside of SF rooted for them. Royals fans want to be hated like the Patriots are. It is nuts.
How you gonna hate a team that has had Freddie Patek and waterfalls? Ask them if they still feel like they are the Yankees' farm team.

I don't think that I have ever met a Royals fan, I wonder how many of them were Royals fans before last year.

I don't think that I have ever met a Royals fan, I wonder how many of them were Royals fans before last year.
Trust me they exist and they take this stuff about their team very personally. They are never going to be as big as Yankee or Red Sox fanbase. Honestly these Royals fans I met last night tell this fanbase just wants validation. Which they don't need as nobody as I get they are happy to be good now.

Kind of disappointed by the game; I turned it off after de Grom pitched. The whole made for TV, "I LOVE SPORTS" vibe was a little too much.

Alex Gordon actually might be the best LF in the AL? Just looking at this year, he's second, between Cespedes and Gardner among AL LF in WAR. Since the start of 2013, he has more WAR than any LF in baseball. (A lot comes from defense)

But LOL, Lorenzo Cain as the best player in baseball? Mike Trout is still a thing.

The best living players thing kinda bothered me last night. Mays and Aaron you can't really quibble with, but Bonds, Clemens, Maddux, Randy Johnson, Pedro, Joe Morgan if you want a Cincy guy. Lot of good options. Assuming you don't want to touch a guy like Trout, which I get cause he's so young, but...

I live in the Kansas City area and you aren't kidding about the insecurity of Royals fans. Heck I started the thread about the crazy voting a couple weeks back. I suggested that Vogt did have a legitimate claim over Perez at catcher and that caused outrage among my friends! Salvy is by far the better defensive catcher but I think Vogt's advantage in offense makes it a close debate and they acted like I was insane. They were even some fans that thought Moutstakes and Hosmer had legitimate claims to start, although not many, to be fair.

I won't say that Cain is the MVP in baseball, but I will say he is the MVP of the Royals and I probably agree with you that he is in the top 10 MVP conversation and he maybe sneaks in the top 5. You might have to see as many Royals games as we do here locally to really appreciate how fantastic he is on defense but it really is something to watch and he is having a really solid offensive year also. Granted I don't see other players nearly as much. I think Trout and Donaldson are the top two. Miggy Cabrera belongs in the top 3 conversation right now but his injury will put him back. After those top three, I think you have to consider Kipnis, Machado and Cain among the next tier.

As far as Gordon, if you are just looking at defense, I think he probably is the best LF. Again, it might be something that you have to watch as many Royals games as I do and to be fair, I don't see other guys nearly as much. But he has terrific range and a fantastic arm. He is solid on offense. But when you combine the total offense and defense package, I probably wouldn't call him the best LF. He can opt out of his contact after this year with a player option. He is a really good player but I have a feeling if he does leave KC. his offense may not live up to other fanbase's expectations. His best seasons are 23 HR, 87 RBI and 20 HR, 81 RBI and his career BA is 269. Solid numbers but if anyone is expecting 30 HRs and 100 RBI from him, then I think they will be disappointed.

I live in the Kansas City area and you aren't kidding about the insecurity of Royals fans. Heck I started the thread about the crazy voting a couple weeks back. I suggested that Vogt did have a legitimate claim over Perez at catcher and that caused outrage among my friends! Salvy is by far the better defensive catcher but I think Vogt's advantage in offense makes it a close debate and they acted like I was insane. They were even some fans that thought Moutstakes and Hosmer had legitimate claims to start, although not many, to be fair.

I won't say that Cain is the MVP in baseball, but I will say he is the MVP of the Royals and I probably agree with you that he is in the top 10 MVP conversation and he maybe sneaks in the top 5. You might have to see as many Royals games as we do here locally to really appreciate how fantastic he is on defense but it really is something to watch and he is having a really solid offensive year also. Granted I don't see other players nearly as much. I think Trout and Donaldson are the top two. Miggy Cabrera belongs in the top 3 conversation right now but his injury will put him back. After those top three, I think you have to consider Kipnis, Machado and Cain among the next tier.

As far as Gordon, if you are just looking at defense, I think he probably is the best LF. Again, it might be something that you have to watch as many Royals games as I do and to be fair, I don't see other guys nearly as much. But he has terrific range and a fantastic arm. He is solid on offense. But when you combine the total offense and defense package, I probably wouldn't call him the best LF. He can opt out of his contact after this year with a player option. He is a really good player but I have a feeling if he does leave KC. his offense may not live up to other fanbase's expectations. His best seasons are 23 HR, 87 RBI and 20 HR, 81 RBI and his career BA is 269. Solid numbers but if anyone is expecting 30 HRs and 100 RBI from him, then I think they will be disappointed.
Honestly, they are the most passionate baseball fans I have ever met. They make pre-04 Red Sox fans look calm. I actually like the team, but I couldn't believe how intense they were.

Cain is on my fantasy team and he has been a top 10 OF on the ESPN player rater so I know he is really good and his defense is good. I told them I knew he was a legit all-star and will finish in the top 10 of the MVP but he was nowhere close to being the most valuable player player in baseball. I mean its Trout as long as he is healthy and then the other guys you mentioned.

The Gordon thing I wouldn't understand his defense cause I don't watch him. However, give me Brett Gardner all-around, Michael Brantley, Cespedes as AL LFs better than Gordon.

Baseball was my first love, 8 years old. '50s. Little League, slept with my glove and hat, high school ball, Knothole Gang, the No. 7 bus from the Cobbs Hill neighborhood to Red Wing Stadium on Norton Street, a batboy for the Rochester Red Wings one summer, became a newspaperman (sportswriter first nine years) because of my love of baseball.

Still love walking through the park and seeing kids playing ball (an increasingly rare site in the city) and still got wood over the ball hitting bat (ping of metal bats makes me cringe!), but, man, I wish could get it up, so to speak, for my old love. Can't watch a game on TV, can't last at a game for more than an inning. Wish it weren't that way, but, alas, while beisbol was berry berry good to me, it's also become soporific.

Trust me they exist and they take this stuff about their team very personally. They are never going to be as big as Yankee or Red Sox fanbase. Honestly these Royals fans I met last night tell this fanbase just wants validation. Which they don't need as nobody as I get they are happy to be good now.

I guess when you have been so bad for so long you need to tell others how good your team is.

Kind of disappointed by the game; I turned it off after de Grom pitched. The whole made for TV, "I LOVE SPORTS" vibe was a little too much.

Let me ask you, as a fellow met fan, would you have put Gooden over Keith for the franchise four thing?

Let me ask you, as a fellow met fan, would you have put Gooden over Keith for the franchise four thing?

That's a really tough one for me: flat-out excellence (albeit brief) on one hand, with an integral cog in the revitalization of the club (and a necessary part of the championship and all those pennant contenders) on the other.

Gun to head, I go with Hernandez. Gooden's just a very talented pitcher on a mid-pack club without him, I think. But what Gooden did in '84 and '85 is as close to perfection as anything the Mets have ever had.

That's a really tough one for me: flat-out excellence (albeit brief) on one hand, with an integral cog in the revitalization of the club (and a necessary part of the championship and all those pennant contenders) on the other.

Gun to head, I go with Hernandez. Gooden's just a very talented pitcher on a mid-pack club without him, I think. But what Gooden did in '84 and '85 is as close to perfection as anything the Mets have ever had.

I would give Gooden the slight advantage, because he was just so dominant over those two years, and Keith spent more time with the Cards, than he did with the Mets. Its very close though.

I wonder if MLB can utilize some of these young faces to market its way back to a "National Sport."

The thing is, they absolutely have the opportunity to do exactly that, the problem is the sport as a whole is so scared to do anything which I don't understand. It's been a dying sport for the past decade and while the changes are good that they're making they're not doing enough, nothing close to enough. They need some fresh blood running the show, not these old farts who only care about "back in my day" or "we didn't do it like that back then", or the ones that crap on new age statistics. They need to cater to the younger crowd and use these young guys and pump the hell out of them. Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Kris Bryant, and the list can go on with probably about 20 guys who aren't even 23 years old yet, how in the hell is this sport not popular? They have the talent to make this sport get close to the top, but they're literally doing nothing. Get it together MLB...

The thing is, they absolutely have the opportunity to do exactly that, the problem is the sport as a whole is so scared to do anything which I don't understand. It's been a dying sport for the past decade and while the changes are good that they're making they're not doing enough, nothing close to enough. They need some fresh blood running the show, not these old farts who only care about "back in my day" or "we didn't do it like that back then", or the ones that crap on new age statistics. They need to cater to the younger crowd and use these young guys and pump the hell out of them. Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Kris Bryant, and the list can go on with probably about 20 guys who aren't even 23 years old yet, how in the hell is this sport not popular? They have the talent to make this sport get close to the top, but they're literally doing nothing. Get it together MLB...

They're so obsessed with deifying their history that they either don't realize or acknowledge that they have some of the most incredible talent they've ever had. Mike Trout is basically Willie Mays; we should be hearing about that every day! Clayton Kershaw=Sandy Koufax, except he's probably already done it longer than Sandy did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom