All time favorite player team | Syracusefan.com

All time favorite player team

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Hey guys, not sure if this has been done, but I've seen people's "All time greatest Syracuse team", what I'm looking for is everybody's favorite player team. These may not be the best player at each position, but something about them made you love them. I figure we'll do a starting 5 and throw a 6th man in there.

C: Etan Thomas (absolutely loved watching him play defense)
PF: Rick Jackson (was amazed how hard one person could work to get to where he did by his senior season)
SF: Preston Shumpert (probably could have thrown him in the 2 spot, but this is for fun. Loved his shooting stroke, really enjoyed watching him play here, wish he got a shot in the NBA)
SG: Eric Devendorf (Fun to watch, loved his intensity, wish the off the court bs didn't happen but oh well. He'll go down as one of my all time favorite Orange players. Nobody can take away his love for the game and love for the roar of 30k cheering for him and his teams.)
PG: Lazarus Sims (loved him at the point, the pass first, shoot second guys at the 1 are my favorite. Loved watching him play.)

6th man: Dion Waiters (Just loved the guy, I loved him when he was in his freshman season with the chip on his shoulder. He has that cocky attitude that basketball players need to get to an elite level. You put his mind in Triche's body I think you see BT in the NBA already.)

hakim warrick, cj fair, jerami grant is raising the ranks. gmac... big rick.

PG--Sherman Douglas, my all time favorite SU player. What a treat it was to watch his teams!

C/ PF--Derrick Coleman, what a bad ass.

PF--John Wallace, total stud who helped us weather the storm of probation, and then led us to an improbable NC game in 1996.

G--Jason Hart, we've had a lot more talented players, but none who worked as hard as this guy.

-Rafael Addison, one of my first "favorites" when I was a kid. Great shooter.

Bench: Hak, Owens, Pearl, Rautins, Howard Triche, Z, Red, Duany, and my man Conrad McNasty.

Last edited:
G Sherman (idol that got me into SU)
G Moten (scoring machine, so fluid)
F Carmelo (took us to the promised land)
F Slick Rick the Ruler (loved his post game)
C Etan (defense, defense, defense at this position)
6th man Dion
honorable mention - DC1, GMac, CJ, Wallace

I wish i could remember sherm.
Yeah, man. All we have is youtube. I was probably 12 or so years old when he was banging. But I never forget buying that Street and Smiths mag when I saw him on the cover.

I'm going by most fun to watch, not necessarily the best:

PG - Pearl. Nuff said.
2G - George Hicker. When he got hot from the corner, the crowd would go crazy.
SF - Vaughn Harper. He would do a Globetrotter passing routine pregame wearing an orange beret. Very entertaining. And he kept going during the game.
PF - DC. The Georgetown punks cowered in his presence.
C - Jeremy McNeil. Why bother tipping blocked shots to teammates? Knock it into the cheap seats!!

PG- Flynn
SG- Shumpert
SF- Wes Johnson
PF- Warrick
C- Onuaku

Melo is too easy of a pick and I loved Wes Johnson's attitude on the court. Ongenaet and Rautins almost made this list, too. I only really started watching and understanding SU bball when I was 8 or 9 (2000-ish).

I'm going by most fun to watch, not necessarily the best:

PG - Pearl. Nuff said.
2G - George Hicker. When he got hot from the corner, the crowd would go crazy.
SF - Vaughn Harper. He would do a Globetrotter passing routine pregame wearing an orange beret. Very entertaining. And he kept going during the game.
PF - DC. The Georgetown punks cowered in his presence.
C - Jeremy McNeil. Why bother tipping blocked shots to teammates? Knock it into the cheap seats!!

I was so close to having McNeil at my center spot. Absolutely loved him when we would put the full court press on and some little guard would drive the lane with nothing between the guard and McNeil and SWAT every time!

pearl and sherm backcourt.
derrick,stevie t. and carmelo front court.
bench is billy o , lil' gerry and john wallace

PG- Flynn
SG- Shumpert
SF- Wes Johnson
PF- Warrick
C- Onuaku

Melo is too easy of a pick and I loved Wes Johnson's attitude on the court. Ongenaet and Rautins almost made this list, too. I only really started watching and understanding SU bball when I was 8 or 9 (2000-ish).
Can't believe I left Wes off my list.

PG - Lazarus Sims...all-time favorite player
SG - Andy Rautins...because I need a shooting guard and I could do a lot worse. Plus, my wife had a crush on him
SF - CJ Fair...one of my favorites in SU history
PF - John Wallace...you can't have Z without J-Dub
C - Etan Thomas...so much energy, intelligent guy, and my mom thought he was "just so handsome!"

6th Man - Hakim Warrick...obviously
7th Man - Lucious Jackson...loved Luke, not the best player we've ever had but worked his ass off, and he was fun to watch
8th Man - I have a feeling Tyler Ennis will wind up here
9th Man - Kristof Ongenaet...you have to love KOng, and my wife still thinks he and I look alike

Combo G - Dennis Duval (ended his Globetrotter routine with a behind the back, under the leg layup)
PG - Sherm (made between the legs pass at the Garden)
C - Rosie (came from a really small town; seven-foot plus with the Afro)
SF - Mark Wadach (really small forward at 6'2")
PF - Rick Jackson (a four-year work that ended with him mastering the boards)

PG G Mac
SG Kueth Duany
F Carmelo Anthony
F Hakim Warrick
C Arinze Onuaku

Bench: Waiters, Fair, Grant, Flynn, Harris, Jackson, Nichols, ... on and on.

Every player I can remember that played a significant role. The end of Pearl's reign is when i first really started paying attention to the players. So I was kind of ushured in with DC and Sherm (not too bad). I can't make a team up of favorites though. As much as I loved are AA and big time players, (DC, Billy, Rony, Sherm, Stevie, Dave, J-Dubs, Moten, Red, and on and on to Melo, Hak, Gerry and into the more recent history) I enjoyed watching plenty of our guys who made smaller contributions but played hard and developed as they went. How can you not love guys like Pace, kOng, Andy heck I loved Brower, steady Triche x 2, McNeil, Hop, an a load of others. I even love the guys I have only ever seen play in video's like Santifer, Rautins (1st incarnation)Ore, Bowie. I even heard that JB once actually suited up, is that true?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom