All time favorite player team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

All time favorite player team

Using the somewhat off the radar guys...
Billy Edelin - I don't know why, I've always liked big point guards
Kueth Duany - I felt like he was the heart of the championship team - no spotlight needed
Todd Burgen - I liked his althleticism and versatility
Ryan Blackwell - Good all around skills and had some toughness
Otis Hill - Undersized, but found a way to be extremely effective and valuable

In the BLUE uni, if I recall...
Yes! With Mark "F Temple" Macon.
$%28KGrHqFHJDkFCqo-BbE9BQuPrD!!r!~~60_35.JPG

Scoop (and that's a tough choice over Edelin, Sherm, and Z...too many favorite point guards)
Hopkins (close second: Raf)
Dave Johnson (edging out Stevie and Lucious Jackson)
Wallace (Hakim's close behind)
Otis (my man)

Not the best team, but a great group of favorites.

Gerry McNamara
Andy Rautins
Carmelo Anthony
Hakim Warrick
Arinze Onuaku

Kong off the bench

I would have liked to have thrown in Wallace, Flynn, Wes, Shumpert, or a sophomore Waiters too. Just too many great players that I've loved watching over the years.

purely based on my favorites... but this team would score! Too young to have truly seen anyone earlier

pg hart
sg waiters
sf shump (this dude killed on the reg)
pf hak
c arinze/etan (boeheim essentially plays 2 centers the same amount of time... why can't i?)

6th man pace

purely based on my favorites... but this team would score! Too young to have truly seen anyone earlier

pg hart
sg waiters
sf shump (this dude killed on the reg)
pf hak
c arinze/etan (boeheim essentially plays 2 centers the same amount of time... why can't i?)

6th man pace
Greg Kohls Dennis Duval Pearl Washington Rudy Hackett Derrick Coleman

C - Etan
PF - John Wallace
SF - Shumpert
2G - Moten
PG - Rautins

6th man - Otis Hill

I like snipers:
Preston Schumpert
Andy Rautins
GMac
And, here's an oldie...Jason Cipolla, who made one of the biggest shots in SU history.

Otherwise:
Sherm
Pearl
Poetry-in-Moten
JWallace
Wes Johnson
Wendell Alexis
Raf Addison
Louie & Bouie
(so many forwards...so little time)!

Etc.

My team wouldn't be nearly as good as some of the other teams on here, but hey my favorite players are not usually the team's star. My team would definitely out hustle most teams tho ;)

G: Gery McNamara
G: Mike Hopkins
SF: Kristof Ongenaet
PF: Derrick Coleman
C: Baye Moussa Keita

Hey guys, not sure if this has been done, but I've seen people's "All time greatest Syracuse team", what I'm looking for is everybody's favorite player team. These may not be the best player at each position, but something about them made you love them. I figure we'll do a starting 5 and throw a 6th man in there.

C: Etan Thomas (absolutely loved watching him play defense)
PF: Rick Jackson (was amazed how hard one person could work to get to where he did by his senior season)
SF: Preston Shumpert (probably could have thrown him in the 2 spot, but this is for fun. Loved his shooting stroke, really enjoyed watching him play here, wish he got a shot in the NBA)
SG: Eric Devendorf (Fun to watch, loved his intensity, wish the off the court bs didn't happen but oh well. He'll go down as one of my all time favorite Orange players. Nobody can take away his love for the game and love for the roar of 30k cheering for him and his teams.)
PG: Lazarus Sims (loved him at the point, the pass first, shoot second guys at the 1 are my favorite. Loved watching him play.)

6th man: Dion Waiters (Just loved the guy, I loved him when he was in his freshman season with the chip on his shoulder. He has that cocky attitude that basketball players need to get to an elite level. You put his mind in Triche's body I think you see BT in the NBA already.)

no offense, but as a favorite player team? this is a shocking team to say the least.

PG: Johnny Flynn
SG: Eric Devendorf
SF: Lawrence Moten
PF: Hakim Warrick
C: Arinze Onuaku

6th man - Josh Pace

Starters PG - Sherm; SG - Sweet D; C - DC; SF - Melo; PF Rudy H
Bench; Pearl; Moten; Rony; Billy O; Wallace

PG - Gerry Mac
SG - Dion
PF - Warrick
SF - Wallace
C- Seikaly

Gerry Mac because he played like a true Irishman, he was fearless and a fighter! As far as listing a team I don't think I can, so many great players.

PG - Pearl
SG - GMac / Stevie
SF - Carmelo / JDub
PF - Warrick
C - Derrick Coleman

Edit:
Ooh... MikeSU02 reminds me i need to have Conrad McNasty on my list. Somewhere. Anywhere.

Last edited:
PG - Lazarus Sims...all-time favorite player
SG - Andy Rautins...because I need a shooting guard and I could do a lot worse. Plus, my wife had a crush on him
SF - CJ Fair...one of my favorites in SU history
PF - John Wallace...you can't have Z without J-Dub
C - Etan Thomas...so much energy, intelligent guy, and my mom thought he was "just so handsome!"

6th Man - Hakim Warrick...obviously
7th Man - Lucious Jackson...loved Luke, not the best player we've ever had but worked his ass off, and he was fun to watch
8th Man - I have a feeling Tyler Ennis will wind up here
9th Man - Kristof Ongenaet...you have to love KOng, and my wife still thinks he and I look alike

This is the closest one to my own. Even though I was in high school and college during the 80's, my favorite all-time players seem to be of somewhat recent vintage. I think it's because I still (perhaps unfairly) think of the 80's era teams as underachievers for the most part. I'm also a sucker for guys who comport themselves well off the court, represent the university well, improve over the course of their careers, and stay for four years. With all of that said, here are my five favorite guys:

Lazarus Sims
Andy Rautins
CJ Fair
Josh Pace
Hakim Warrick

I'd love to bring Hopkins and Ongenaet off the bench for pure hustle. Strongly considered Kris Joseph for this squad as well - I loved that kid. I don't have a center but I don't care. If I had to pick one, I'd take either Etan or AO. I've always thought that Hak was all-time favorite Orangemen but if CJ does what I think he can this year, he might assume the throne. Of course, we'll need to win the national championship as well.

It's too bad that our younger posters couldn't have seen the game/style of players like DC, Stevie, Pearl, etc.
I still have great memories of the fast break teams of the late 80's, early 90's. Unfortunately, the digital age wasn't with us to easily record those games and make them available for everyone to appreciate.

This is the closest one to my own. Even though I was in high school and college during the 80's, my favorite all-time players seem to be of somewhat recent vintage. I think it's because I still (perhaps unfairly) think of the 80's era teams as underachievers for the most part. I'm also a sucker for guys who comport themselves well off the court, represent the university well, improve over the course of their careers, and stay for four years. With all of that said, here are my five favorite guys:

Lazarus Sims
Andy Rautins
CJ Fair
Josh Pace
Hakim Warrick

I'd love to bring Hopkins and Ongenaet off the bench for pure hustle. Strongly considered Kris Joseph for this squad as well - I loved that kid. I don't have a center but I don't care. If I had to pick one, I'd take either Etan or AO. I've always thought that Hak was all-time favorite Orangemen but if CJ does what I think he can this year, he might assume the throne. Of course, we'll need to win the national championship as well.

Great post - agree with your rationale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom