All-time shooting guards... who's ahead of D. Wade? | Syracusefan.com

All-time shooting guards... who's ahead of D. Wade?

Eric15

Living Legend
First obviously is Jordan, followed by some combination of Kobe and Jerry West.

But then, how would you rank the rest of the all-time greatest shooting guards in NBA history?

You have (this is in no particular order and I'm probably forgetting guys)...

Wade
Drexler
Monroe
Gervin
Iverson (switched over to 2-guard the year they went to the Finals)
Miller
Ray Allen
Maravich

Thoughts on how you'd rank these guys?

I think Wade is very possibly right at #4. Part of it will come down to how he ages though. I'd say Wade at his best is right there at #4 though, if we're looking at peak.

He has to be 4 I think. There is no one else outside of the three you mentions that I would take before him.

First obviously is Jordan, followed by some combination of Kobe and Jerry West.

But then, how would you rank the rest of the all-time greatest shooting guards in NBA history?

You have (this is in no particular order and I'm probably forgetting guys)...

Wade 4
Drexler5
Monroe7
Gervin3
Iverson (switched over to 2-guard the year they went to the Finals)
Miller
Ray Allen6
Maravich-1
Earl Monroe2

Thoughts on how you'd rank these guys?
Picks 4-7 I'm not sure about but there it is to be ripped.:blah:

1. Jordan
  2. Kobe
  3. West
  4. Wade
  5. Possibly Drexler, but I'm not sure if old school guys such as Sharman or Sam Jones would be ahead of him

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Wade
5. Walt "Clyde" Frasier(he seemed more of a combo guard than PG IMO)
Wade- 10 years played, 10 quality, 9x Allstar, 2x NBA Champion(2006, 2012), NBA Finals MVP(2006) best player on championship team(2006), 2nd best player on championship team(2012), NBA Scoring 1x Champion (2009), top 5 NBA(09, 10) top 10(05, 06, 11), top 15 (07, 12, 13), NBA all-defense 2nd team(05, 09, 10)
Wade has the resume of the 4th best SG IMO.

Jordan
Kobe
West
Allen (this years in Settle and at the Bucks are vastly underrated)
Walt Frasier
Joe Dumars
Drexler
Monroe
Miller
Wade (doesn't shoot well enough and turns it over too much)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What this tells me most of all is that outside of the top three, there really haven't been that many great shooting guards in NBA history.

What this tells me most of all is that outside of the top three, there really haven't been that many great shooting guards in NBA history.

Yeah that was my first thought as well, it seemed really shallow.

Wade (doesn't shoot well enough and turns it over too much)

He's a career 49% shooter. Yeah he can't shoot from deep, but he doesn't really do it much. His TO numbers are kionda high, but when you adjust for the fact that he has massive usage rates, I don't think they are too bad. I would definitely have Wade above most of the guys on your list.

Look at the 2010 Heat. This is their #2-8 rotation, in terms of min played. Michael Beasley, Udonis Haslem, Quentin Richardson, Jermaine O'Neal, Mario Chalmers, Carlos Arroyo, and Dorrell Wright. Wade dragged that team to 47 wins.

Frazier and Monroe I guess were combo guys, and were way before my time, but i don't think either are really 2 guards, no?

Wade is a beast. Always has been except for some recent durability issues. Defensively, rebounding, blocking shots HAS to keep him in the top 5.

just stopped by to say hello

That's who I thought it was; I didn't want to brign him up, I have no idea how to classify him. If he's a 2, then sure, top 3 probably, maybe 4th.

That's who I thought it was; I didn't want to brign him up, I have no idea how to classify him. If he's a 2, then sure, top 3 probably, maybe 4th.
he is the original big guard and should be number 2

and, since so many people on this board give inordinate weight to rings, then John Havilicek, who has 8 of them and was probably the 2nd best Celtic on many if not most of those squads, should be on the list.

and, since so many people on this board give inordinate weight to rings, then John Havilicek, who has 8 of them and was probably the 2nd best Celtic on many if not most of those squads, should be on the list.

Ok I'm horrible with old guy positions then. In my mind I had Hondo as a 3. I guess I have no idea why. He was awesome though.

I'd put West ahead of Oscar though.

just stopped by to say hello

I'll start another thread for all-time best small forwards. Lebron is certainly #1 by a wide margin.

Havlicek is somebody I forgot, but as a Celtic fan I know he was more a 6th man playing whatever position the team needed him to play PG, SG, or SF. If he is a SG then I go
1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. West
4. Havlicek
5. Wade

Ok I'm horrible with old guy positions then. In my mind I had Hondo as a 3. I guess I have no idea why. He was awesome though.

I'd put West ahead of Oscar though.
it's a matter of taste, but Oscar's numbers are just mind boggling

I don't much like Kobe, but ya gotta give him his props. George Gervin and Jerry West would round out my top 3 shooting guards.

that's not Lebron
Oscar is not a SG and his numbers are so overrated. Go read Simmons books when Oscar averaged his triple double shooting percentages were in the low 40's and high 30's and possessions were way up. Also, their weren't many athletes in the NBA as athletic as Oscar. I think he is a great number, but never won a title in his prime and road Kareem to his only ring. Oscar is not the greatest "shooting" guard of all-time. Clyde Frasier was more of a SG than Oscar.

Yeah you need to take some of the air out of Oscar's numbers. They still are pretty damn good though

Oscar is not a SG and his numbers are so overrated. Go read Simmons books when Oscar averaged his triple double shooting percentages were in the low 40's and high 30's and possessions were way up. Also, their weren't many athletes in the NBA as athletic as Oscar. I think he is a great number, but never won a title in his prime and road Kareem to his only ring. Oscar is not the greatest "shooting" guard of all-time. Clyde Frasier was more of a SG than Oscar.
Oscar most certainly was a shooting guard, just ask his peers. and using win shares, which normalizes for the state of the association, only Jordan was better on a year to year basis.

Finally, everything you say to diminish Oscar also applies to West . . . West, of course, has one distinct advantage

Wasn't West considered the superior defender?

For whatever its worth, West finished with a higher WS/40 minutes than Oscar. But I don't know how much stock you can put in win shares from the 60's, considering they didn't track steals, to, etc