Am I the only one emotional over here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one emotional over here

He's a good guy and am sad that he'll likely leave the area. I'm glad he went out with a win and gets good marks from his peers. Seems like he'll do well. Scott took on a difficult job and was close to success, with the script giving him a few too many bad breaks, whether self-imposed or the hand of fate. Games & careers turn quickly. Good luck, coach Shafer, and thank you for your service. I'll be a Shafer fan no matter where you end up...

I was there with the family, and yes, it was emotional. I really appreciate all that Coach Shafer has done in support of Syracuse University and his players. He is a class act, and I am sad to see it end this way. I had hoped for more when he was hired nearly 3 years ago. I am excited about the future, but sad as well. Good Luck, Coach Shafer!!

Give Coyle credit for his timing. He knew we had a shot this week and it would have been a mess to fire him after today's game.

Was sitting in the upper end zone as the kick went in right in front of me. Kids looked at me weird as they could tell I was holding back tears.

If you thought that was emotional you should see his post game presser.

While I felt it was 100% the move Coyle had to make, it still doesn't make me (or anyone else I would assume) happy that it didn't work out with Shafer. You would be hard pressed to find any Syracuse fans that wouldn't have wanted it to work out with HCSS. He's a 5star person, and I wish him nothing but the best in the future. I'm sure he will have a very nice DC job somewhere next year.

Very sad. I thought the move needed to be made but hoorah coach.

Happy for the win, nice to see Shafer go out on a positive note. He did everything right except win games, which is the ultimate success measure.

As others have said, this game exemplifies why a change needed to be made though. A rockfight against a dreadful team. Glad we came out on the right end of the rockfight though

And for all the people that were upset with Coyle letting Shafer go the week before the season was over, this was why. He got to have his going away party. In a way it was a proper way to say thank you and goodbye. Granted it all worked out with us winning, but still.

I hate to see anyone lose their job but I wasn't that emotional about the end of this game. What I was feeling can be summed by this:

Good luck with your future endeavors coach

Rudy

I so wish it had worked out, Scott is a great guy and I really think he could have been our Boeheim. Watching him get carried off the field just killed me. Not something that you'll see at too many programs. All the best to Coach Shafer, all the best.

Have to admit, I got a bit misty watching him hug his players while he got teary himself. I so wanted him to work out. Best of luck to Scott Shafer. I'll be following everything he does.
Ditto

"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do." - Sarah Ban Breathnach

I don't know if you could hear it on TV but some of us were chanting "Thank you Shafer" as he was being carried off. I think I got a little of that Dome dust in my eyes as well.

Just watched his press conference. It tugged on the heart strings in the same way seeing him carried off the field post-game did.

The situation sucks. He's a great guy that I want to be part of the program - albeit as the DC, not the HC. And I think that is the part that is just unfortunate. the guy is a GREAT DC. But when the status quo changes, as it did when Marrone bolted, it wasn't an option to be JUST the DC any longer. He tried is damndest, but just like Spock wasn't cut out to Captain the Enterprise, SS was not cut out to be the HC here.

Best of luck to him, going forward, because his shortcomings here were not for want of dedication, commitment, or effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom