An honest look at UVa today and tomorrow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

An honest look at UVa today and tomorrow

Are you really a Syracuse fan? You have 17 posts. All of them coming on UVa threads.

Syracuse went to the Final Four in 2013. Should have gone to the Final Four in 2012 if not for the Fab Melo nonsense. Should have gone in 2010 if not for Rick Jackson's injury. That's three of the last seven years that Syracuse has had a top 5-10 team in the country.

The last three years included a 25-0 start and then last year, we would have been preseason top 5 again if not for two very questionable decisions from kids to leave early for the NBA.

Virginia has a nice program and has proven it can do well in the regular season. But we still have 5 wins over the last three NCAA Tournaments to UVA's 3. And this year still has a long way to go.

I would also like to remind you that Syracuse has had plenty of effective 4-year players. Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, Andy Rautins, Kris Joseph, Rakeem Christmas, Trevor Cooney all have played big parts on very good teams. Just to name a few from the past 7 years. I expect Tyler Roberson to take that next step for next year and be a guy that's an integral piece on a very good team. Frank Howard is looking like he could be a four-year contributor. Not to mention Gbinije who is a senior (transfer) who has stayed and done a nice job the last two years.

Not all SU players have one foot out the door, as you say.
I agree on most of what you say. Despite the tenor of my posts, I am optimistic about this current Orange squad. In two weeks I expect a 7-6 ACC record, which should put us in the NCAA conversation. I think Roberson is really coming along nicely. Malachi R is special, and I like the arc of this season. And I really expect big things next year. I am not pi**ing on the SU program at all when I admire the job Bennett has done. I have been a fan since Jim Lee and the '75-76 team.

Bennett's a very good coach who I think will have Virginia in the top five of the ACC almost every year but he's never made it past the Sweet 16 in 9 years at a Big 6 school, the NCAAT is where coaches earn their stripes.

Orangeblue2 said:
I agree on most of what you say. Despite the tenor of my posts, I am optimistic about this current Orange squad. In two weeks I expect a 7-6 ACC record, which should put us in the NCAA conversation. I think Roberson is really coming along nicely. Malachi R is special, and I like the arc of this season. And I really expect big things next year. I am not pi**ing on the SU program at all when I admire the job Bennett has done. I have been a fan since Jim Lee and the '75-76 team.

Virginia is also orange and blue. I always assumed you were a uva fan since all your posts fawn over Bennett or uva's OOC schedule.

Virginia is also orange and blue. I always assumed you were a uva fan since all your posts fawn over Bennett or uva's OOC schedule.

He/she is a UVa fan.

He/she is a UVa fan.
Just for record, I'm a NYC born and raised Lemoyne guy who adopted SU as my college D1 team and have been to games at the Dome and even one at Manley. I also like when things are done the right way, and I despise Duke, the Yankees, and the NE Patriots :) And yeah, I do like Bennett, his demeanor and approach. And the guy actually played three years in the NBA.

From the UVa perspective, next year will be interesting. Hard to project, because we're losing so much experience, and integrating quite a few new pieces. Talented pieces, but new.

IMO Gill & Tobey are good, but replaceable. Austin Nichols is as talented as Gill offensively (or at least very close), and better defensively. Tobey has shown flashes of greatness, but is one of the most frustrating players not just of the Bennett era, but I can ever remember at UVa. He can look like an All-American one night, and completely disappear after 2-3 quick boneheaded fouls the next night. Diakite is nowhere near as polished as Tobey, but has upside off-the-charts. We also have a freshman (Jarred Reuter) who isn't getting much PT right now because there's just not much available...very skilled though, and extremely high hoops IQ.

Brogdon is who we'll struggle to replace. He's been the constant over the run of the last 3 years, and there's no one on our current roster who projects anywhere near as good. We've got 2 very good inbound G's (one a McD's AA), but they're freshmen. I love Devon Hall's potential, but Brogdon is an all-time great at UVa. Darrius Thompson started off well in the OOC, but hasn't performed as well with the ACC sched. Replacing Brogdon will be a "by committee" approach, but it won't be easy.

Perrantes returns, which will make the transition less painful. I'd expect him and Nichols to lead the scoring most nights, and be as good an inside/outside duo as there is in the league. The question is how will guys like Hall, Thompson, Isaiah Wilkins, Marial Shayok and a couple of others who have played strictly complimentary roles to this point, perform as bigger focal points?

When Mike Scott left, Joe Harris & Akil Mitchell stepped up. When Joe & Akil left, Justin Anderson & Darion Atkins stepped up. There is a history of "next man up" since Bennett has been coach...he and the staff do a great job of player development. There will be alot to replace in 2016-17...I think TB is up to the challenge, and will keep the program among the top 4-5 in the ACC. There could be some growing pains next year though.
There is a history of next man up at UVA with Bennett. I don't think they're as good this year without Atkins and Anderson, but any deficiencies have been covered well by Gill and Tobey inside and (IMO) one of the best backcourts in the ACC. Bennett's not only a good defensive coach, his squads are offensively very balanced and run his scheme well.

Just because they may not be elite this year or next doesn't mean the program's a flash in the pan. They'll still be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom