And Your Next ACC Team Is | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

And Your Next ACC Team Is

This will sound dumber...but just had a chat with a NC guy I know. Before ND went to the ACC for hoops, he was telling me it was in the works. He was spot on. Now he's saying NC, ND, and Texas have some sort of agreement and Texas and ND will be joining the ACC full-time.

I'm not holding my breath, but aside from assuring ACC stability, it would also cause the Dude's head to explode.

I can't imagine a scenario that would have Texas playing in the ACC. Pac12? Yes. SEC? Yes. B1G? Possibly. ACC? No.

Texas sees themselves as ND, only better. This is why they continue to push the Longhorn Network. They believe they are a national brand with a national following. I believe that Texas would join any conference that will allow it to retain the Longhorn Network. If the ACC cuts ND that deal, why not Texas ? It's ESPN's money behind it all anyway.

This is getting out of control people. No way UTexas goes to ACC - they are much more of a West coast team. No way Cincy joins unless B1G picking up UConn & Kansas assuming UVA is out.

Texas will do whatever is in its best financial interest. If that's joining the ACC they'll do it.

I can't imagine a scenario that would have Texas playing in the ACC. Pac12? Yes. SEC? Yes. B1G? Possibly. ACC? No.

I actually could see Texas in the ACC. Ultimately I expect them to end up in the B1G or most likely the Pac, but I think they're smart. They know they will increase a conference's value wherever they go. They also know that the ACC wont be down forever but for now it's a conference they can potentially come in and dominate with enough name programs that gets them to the playoff easily.

I DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO EVER HAPPEN - but I think it is slightly more likely than Texas staying in the Big 12 forever.

This is getting out of control people. No way UTexas goes to ACC - they are much more of a West coast team. No way Cincy joins unless B1G picking up UConn & Kansas assuming UVA is out.
When SU and Pitt were accepted into the ACC, there were reports from "ACC officials" that Texas had pitched themselves to the ACC as well. The devil is always in the details but it's not so far-fetched. I believe the ACC would allow Texas to keep its network...the B10 and PAC 12 will not.

Texas will do whatever is in its best financial interest. If that's joining the ACC they'll do it.

Yep, they like money and getting their way and I'm sure if they were to join the ACC they'd get both.

texas thinks its the 6th boro of NYC, but with bigger & better living arrangements.

id put texas's goals, aside from having its own conference where they can keep all the $$ and pluck any recruit from any school they want, to be

1. b1g
2. ACC

3. pac a distant one at that.

Would not come as a shock to find out that the ACC has recently talked with Texas. I am talking about within the last week recently. Doubt if it is anything major but I assume they picked up the conversation from last time around...

Use the 50 mil from Maryland to buy Texas out of the big 12 LOL

texas thinks its the 6th boro of NYC, but with bigger & better living arrangements.

id put texas's goals, aside from having its own conference where they can keep all the $$ and pluck any recruit from any school they want, to be

1. b1g
2. ACC

3. pac a distant one at that.

Texas's goals are:

1) Football independence/Longhorn Network
2) Stable conference for all other sports.

There is only one conference that will give them something close to that and that's the ACC. Give them the ND deal and we're done. They agree to play 4-5 conference games against the ACC each year. They are in an academically superior conference for everything else. Everybody makes more money and FSU and Clempsom are happy. Delaney is very sad.

The BiG and PAC won't let them do that.

Actually there would be no reason to keep Maryland in the league if Texas wanted in. Texas would probably want Tech and the Oklahoma schools in addition to themselves, Maryland would be in the way. You would have 18 and 1 with Notre Dame, someone would have had to go.

People this talk of Texas to ACC is making us look silly.

Anyway, the B12's GOR is weaker as compared to other conferences. They don't include tier 3 rights allowing Texas to keep the LHN. Probably an out clause somewhere if 4 teams leave for another conference or something like that. B12 teams dont like it but what choice do they have?

Finally people - no one yet has answered this question. Where does PAC12 go, to pick up new markets, that adds value to the PAC12. TEXAS people. I am sure many grads on the west coast live in Texas - going into Texas adds a huge recruiting base for all teams in the PAC. Why do you think the SEC entered Texas to pick up aTm?

Please stop the silly talk - unless it's the admins grand vision to add more posts to the football side vs the basketball side to convince everyone that we are a football school.

People this talk of Texas to ACC is making us look silly.

Anyway, the B12's GOR is weaker as compared to other conferences. They don't include tier 3 rights allowing Texas to keep the LHN. Probably an out clause somewhere if 4 teams leave for another conference or something like that. B12 teams dont like it but what choice do they have?

Finally people - no one yet has answered this question. Where does PAC12 go, to pick up new markets, that adds value to the PAC12. TEXAS people. I am sure many grads on the west coast live in Texas - going into Texas adds a huge recruiting base for all teams in the PAC. Why do you think the SEC entered Texas to pick up aTm?

Please stop the silly talk - unless it's the admins grand vision to add more posts to the football side vs the basketball side to convince everyone that we are a football school.

I agree that Texas ends up in the Pac 12. But, I don't think we should completely discount how the ACC might be attractive to Texas. Culturally, Texas is more southeast than west coast. The ACC has Duke, Virginia, Wake, Ga Tech, BC and UNC. A school like Texas would love to be associated with those universities. The ACC would likely bend over to whatever Texas wanted with respect to the LHN.

Again, I agree that this is fantasy, but not nearly as far fetched as the fantasy that the WVU board has that the Big 12 is all one happy family.

I just received email forwarded by a friend and written by someone with contacts in the college football world who "is sometimes right and sometimes wrong". The short of it is (1) 8 ACC schools on serious talks with conferences, and UVA Ga Tech and UNC have applied to big ten (2) big ten has all but decided to accept apps of UVA and tech, and may take unc as 17th team due to possible dept of education sanctions against penn state that would render them in eligible to received fed aid bc if violation of clery act (3) sec is looking at va and nc tv markets with focus on tech state and Clemson, but tech remains hopeful (foolishly) that ACC can survive (4) big 12 is talking to 4 ACC teams but some are fine waiting until sec situation plays out. (4) Cuse has no suitors among big 4 and along with bc, Pitt, duke and wake will likely be left out (5) this will play out in matter if days not weeks.

No clue how accurate this is but was quite detailed.

Swofford better be on the phone to ESPN saying "Fix this goddamn deal !!!"

Wait, after all of the dumb stuff that's been said here this week, THIS is the post that sets off your "Silly Talk Alarm?"

Big12 teams are off limits for next 10 years due to GOR. ND is not joining anyone, due to 200% rating increase this year, they're expected to sign a record breaking deal with NBC in next year or so ahead of their deal end in 2015. That will get them locked up for another decade.

Yep. This was the worst possible year for ND to finally complete their comeback to relevance, after 20 years. Dammit.

Re: Texas and ND, I don't think Maryland would leave if there was anything in the works. And I'm pretty sure they would know if something was in the works. At the very least, they'd be let in on the secret at the last minute as a way to get them to stay.

Unless the ACC wanted them out (to make room for Navy?), but that's extremely unlikely.

Maryland's decision was an independent one, driven primarily by the fact that their athletic dept. is so broke they had to drop 7 programs. That's why they went, period.

The PAC12 will not under any circumstances take any member that is not going to concede 100% revenue share. That's the key reason that the Texas to PAC10 thing fell apart.

Cincy would ruin the ACC for me. Completely ruin the move. One of the reasons I wanted to go to the ACC was tradition and road trips. I had and never will want to see a game in Cincy. I do not and never will care about Cincy FB. They are not a peer school. If they end up in the ACC it will be the beginning of the end for the conference. At this point I hope SU's contingency plan is for an all private/semiprivate school conference. Give me SU, BC, Pitt, Nova, Duke, Wake, Tulane, Rice, SMU, Tulsa. I rather have that than be in a merged leftover ACC/BE. Better road trips and better BBall. A G5 is a G5 so why not make the trips fun.
How about a completely private conference?
All-sports
Boston College
Duke
Miami
Rice
SMU
Syracuse
Tulane
Tulsa
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Non-football
Georgetown
Notre Dame

Texas's goals are:

1) Football independence/Longhorn Network
2) Stable conference for all other sports.

There is only one conference that will give them something close to that and that's the ACC. Give them the ND deal and we're done. They agree to play 4-5 conference games against the ACC each year. They are in an academically superior conference for everything else. Everybody makes more money and FSU and Clempsom are happy. Delaney is very sad.

The BiG and PAC won't let them do that.
So playing UT once every 4 years will keep FSU and Clemson happy? Doubt it.

So playing UT once every 4 years will keep FSU and Clemson happy? Doubt it.

While I don't think this will happen, over every 6 year cycle, with this set-up you play both Texas and ND 4 times, each home and away. And considering in the new era of conference bloating an Alabama can go 4 years without even playing Georgia, that isn't so bad.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom