Anish Shroff Last Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Anish Shroff Last Saturday

Orijinal

All Conference
Anyone else pissed that Shroff (the guy announcing the game) found it necessary to persistently talk down the Syracuse program during the portion of the game that Cuse was playing its best football? I thought he was a Cuse guy. What was his problem?

I believe in mojo. Shroff was rubbing bad mojo all over this team during a portion of the game when Cuse fans and the program should have been feeling great about themselves, as well as the position they were in to win this game.

But Shroff couldn't resist. He HAD to keep putting thoughts in the viewers' minds that Cuse is just a bad program, and no way they should even be holding LSU's jock strap. Still pissed about this, as you can tell. Maybe I'm the only one ...

1) Matter of interpretation.
2) He's an alum, but it's a national broadcast. Not his job to be a homer.
3) Who cares?
I'm respectfully disagreeing. What he was saying was not a matter of interpretation. I'm not asking him to be a homer, just asking he not throw shade on a team that was performing well.

If any of what he said was untrue then go ahead and be pissed. Sometimes the truth hurts.
Not saying it wasn't true. I'm saying it wasn't necessary or called for, especially during that part of the game.

I just watched the game (was at Tiger Stadium) and paid attention to Shroff based on complaints someone else had raised in a previous thread.

Honestly did not think he was that bad, except for some comment in the late going where he used the word "beleaguered" and it seemed like he was laying it on a little too thick.

As others point out, what he said is, realistically, what we are, or what we have been, and it's not his job to pretty that up.

I actually kind of liked his rundown, by the numbers, of just how bad we've been, how few winning seasons we've had & how we haven't been ranked since 2001 as we mounted our comeback.

The announcers main objective is to make the game more enjoyable/exciting for the masses...make them want to stay on that channel. You have to understand that we've been so irrelevant to most of the CFB world, especially SEC country, that they don't even realize how long it's been since we were last ranked, etc. I took it as him painting a context for the viewer of just how big a win this would be for our program.

Big fan of Anish, especially his Lax coverage.

Anyone else pissed that Shroff (the guy announcing the game) found it necessary to persistently talk down the Syracuse program during the portion of the game that Cuse was playing its best football? I thought he was a Cuse guy. What was his problem?

I believe in mojo. Shroff was rubbing bad mojo all over this team during a portion of the game when Cuse fans and the program should have been feeling great about themselves, as well as the position they were in to win this game.

But Shroff couldn't resist. He HAD to keep putting thoughts in the viewers' minds that Cuse is just a bad program, and no way they should even be holding LSU's jock strap. Still pissed about this, as you can tell. Maybe I'm the only one ...
I disagree. He's supposed to be impartial, not a homer, and why would he not point out such facts as how bad Syracuse has been for soooo long.If you look at the talent of each team, there is no way Syracuse should even be able to sniff LSU's jock strap...Sniff?...ok bad choice of words...hold LSU's jock strap. LSU has 45 players in the NFL. LSU has nothing but 4 and 5 star talent, and a pretty recent N.C.
By contrast we have been unranked at any point in any season since 2001. We can count our NFL players on 2 hands with 3 fingers to spare. Every other P5 with the exception of maybe Iowa St. has been ranked at some point since 2001 except us. Our most impressive win since the 2001 season was probably beating #19 West Virginia on the road like 7 years ago, and we haven't won a N.C. since Eisenhower was in office.
Shroff would be doing himself a disservice as a broadcaster if he didn't point out the glaring differences in the program. It is what it is, and until we can actually win some of these games...not play well, or keep it close, but win some of these games, we will always be seen as the little guy. We're like the wrestlers in the WWF that gets introduced first, and walks out to no music, while wearing a plain speedo, and no cool nickname. Right now, that's a perfect analogy of who we are. Nobody outside of Syracuse NY, or Syracuse Alums care about us. We manage to hold down The Undertaker, or Stone Cold Steve Austin on his back for a 2 count, and get everyone excited, only to let the opponent wiggle free, and come off the top rope, and body slam us to the delight of the majority. We need to start pinning some people. No more 2 counts.

Last edited:
I disagree. He's supposed to be impartial, not a homer, and why would he not point out such facts as how bad Syracuse has been for soooo long.If you look at the talent of each team, there is no way Syracuse should even be able to sniff LSU's jock strap...Sniff?...ok bad choice of words...hold LSU's jock strap. LSU has 45 players in the NFL. LSU has nothing but 4 and 5 star talent, and a pretty recent N.C.
By contrast we have been unranked at any point in any season since 2001. We can count our NFL players on 2 hands with 3 fingers to spare. Every other P5 with the exception of maybe Iowa St. has been ranked at some point since 2001 except us. Our most impressive win since the 2001 season was probably beating #19 West Virginia on the road like 7 years ago, and we haven't won a N.C. since Eisenhower was in office.
Shroff would be doing himself a disservice as a broadcaster if he didn't point out the glaring differences in the program. It is what it is, and until we can actually win some of these games...not play well, or keep it close, but win some of these games, we will always be seen as the little guy. We're like the wrestlers in the WWF that gets introduced first, and walks out to no music, while wearing a plain speedo, and no cool nickname. Right now, that's a perfect analogy of who we are. Nobody outside of Syracuse NY, or Syracuse Alums care about us. We manage to hold down The Undertaker, or Stone Cold Steve Austin on his back for a 2 count, and get everyone excited, only to let the opponent wiggle free, and come off the top rope, and body slam us to the delight of the majority. We need to start pinning some people. No more 2 counts.

awesome post. I was proud of our team last weekend but we had a shot and let it get away. Like you said, gotta win a few of these. Freaking UMass lost to Tennessee by 3, no one is patting them on the back. Indiana is the only P5 team with a longer streak of being unranked than us , by the way.

I heard it and agree that he was being ridiculous. With a young rookie sportscaster as he is and calling your alma maters game; it was probably a huge over compensation for trying to not sound like a homer.

That said, hey shroff, you arent that well known yet for people to even notice!

I was in Baton Rouge for the game so I only got around to watching the broadcast yesterday. I thought he was fine. I didn't find anything that he said controversial or unfounded. The only problem with him that I had was the Brewers hat that he was wearing on our flight out of NOLA. Go Cubs Go.

With a young rookie sportscaster as he is and calling your alma maters game; it was probably a huge over compensation for trying to not sound like a homer.

That said, hey shroff, you arent that well known yet for people to even notice!
He's 35, he was on Dream Job, he's been at ESPN for 9 years. Why not be a little more patronizing?

He's 35, he was on Dream Job, he's been at ESPN for 9 years. Why not be a little more patronizing?

Didnt mean to be patronizing. Let me ask you this: how many Cuse fb games has he done ? On the road, for that matter? He is talented, just saying i heard what others heard. Geeez.

giphy face palm.gif

Attachments

• giphy face palm.gif
    giphy face palm.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
View attachment 110954[/QUOTE

Wow. Anyone else have a problem with the original post claiming AS was too tough on Cuse during the game? Yes, his alma mater. All I did was offer up some reason as to why he did so and I am getting hammered. Seriously, if you cant understand the angle of him overcompensating and trying like hell to not be pro Cuse as a career protectant; then not sure what to say.

And what and who cares about "dream job"? Was he also on the voice by chance?

awesome post. I was proud of our team last weekend but we had a shot and let it get away. Like you said, gotta win a few of these. Freaking UMass lost to Tennessee by 3, no one is patting them on the back. Indiana is the only P5 team with a longer streak of being unranked than us , by the way.

We should really schedule Indiana.

I thought he was fine. Always liked him. The truth hurts but he wasn't going over the top, IMO. He's 35, on the younger side, frustrated beyond belief or perhaps too young to truly appreciate the good ole days. Regardless, he was solid.

Honestly guy wasnt good. He literally went out of his way to mention bad stuff that wasn't even relevant.

And we got a background story on every single LSU player. I mean every single player. BTW for how Giuce was running (basically getting stuffed every carry) we didn't need a 20 min story about him this game.

Honestly guy wasnt good. He literally went out of his way to mention bad stuff that wasn't even relevant.

And we got a background story on every single LSU player. I mean every single player. BTW for how Giuce was running (basically getting stuffed every carry) we didn't need a 20 min story about him this game.

Eh, can't disagree more. He was solid and speaking the truth. Guice is high draft pick and the best player on that team. Did you happen to hear Guice's story? Very traumatic upbringing. Would you rather have him lie and talk up SU like it's McNabb, Konrad, and Darius out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom