Annie Hall | Syracusefan.com

Annie Hall

SWC75

Bored Historian
I'm watching it on TCM. I just realized that it was the first time I've watched it in it's entirety since it came out in 1977. That's 47 years ago. FORTY-SEVEN.

If in 1977, I'd watched a movie made 47 years before that I'd be watching this:

Love the perspective and Woody Allen
We watched a 1938 Alfred Hitchcock movie last night - The Lady Vanishes.
It was made in England and 22 years BEFORE Psycho.
Talkies were what...11 years old then.

being forced to watch a Woody Allen movie must be painful.

He is brilliant and a piece of shyte.

I grew up on Errol Flynn movies. Later, I read about Errol Flynn. There's a difference between what's on the screen and who put it there.

Love the perspective and Woody Allen
We watched a 1938 Alfred Hitchcock movie last night - The Lady Vanishes.
It was made in England and 22 years BEFORE Psycho.
Talkies were what...11 years old then.
Interestingly, Blackmail by Alfred Hitchcock in 1929 was the first British feature length “Talkie” (Hitch’s cameo has him being harassed by a bratty kid on a commuter train)

Annie Hall is fantastic. As are Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Midnight in Paris. I also have a soft spot for Manhattan Murder Mystery, but most of that is Keaton.

The ‘lobster scene’ in Annie Hall is maybe my favorite comedic pieces. It seems soooo real—her reaction to his reactions… absolute gold.

I’m lucky to have discovered Woody Allen films as a sophomore at SU. Went to see one at Crouse[?] circa ‘86, because an eventual roommate was already a more ‘sophisticated’ cinephile than I was.

Yeah, Woody is a brilliant filmmaker. And a cruddy person. The Soon Yi thing is bizarre. I don’t know what happened with his daughter, but it was investigated with no validation of the accusations, right? And regarding the ‘dynamic’ between him and Mia—I don’t trust anything from her mouth, either, because she and Woody had a relationship together with an underage girl. The Woody/Mia thing is just bitchcakes crazy, so I choose to ‘trust’ neither of them. And without truth, I just appreciate the work and dismiss the persons.

I’m also not going to stop listening to Led Zeppelin because Jimmy Page ‘abducted’ a teen girl; or David Bowie for an alleged underage relationship, or Stevie Ray Vaughan for his pretty public relationship with a too young girl. Awful stuff, sure. Not excused. But it’s separate from the product.

Oh, and I’m (only) 56 but two of my favorite films are from ~1939 [Bringing Up Baby and The Phildelphia Story]. I think growing up with The The Three Stooges made it easy to accept and appreciate very old films and even to love the aesthetic of that era.

Last edited:
Annie Hall is fantastic. As are Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Midnight in Paris. I also have a soft spot for Manhattan Murder Mystery, but most of that is Keaton.

The ‘lobster scene’ in Annie Hall is maybe my favorite comedic pieces. It seems soooo real—her reaction to his reactions… absolute gold.

I’m lucky to have discovered Woody Allen films as a sophomore at SU. Went to see one at Crouse[?] circa ‘86, because an eventual roommate was already a more ‘sophisticated’ cinephile than I was.

Yeah, Woody is a brilliant filmmaker. And a cruddy person. The Soon Yi thing is bizarre. I don’t know what happened with his daughter, but it was investigated with no validation of the accusations, right? And regarding the ‘dynamic’ between him and Mia—I don’t trust anything from her mouth, either, because she and Woody had a relationship together with an underage girl. The Woody/Mia thing is just bitchcakes crazy, so I choose to ‘trust’ neither of them. And without truth, I just appreciate the work and dismiss the persons.

I’m also not going to stop listening to Led Zeppelin because Jimmy Page ‘abducted’ a teen girl; or David Bowie for an alleged underage relationship, or Stevie Ray Vaughan for his pretty public relationship with a too young girl. Awful stuff, sure. Not excused. But it’s separate from the product.

Oh, and I’m (only) 56 but two of my favorite films are from ~1939 [Bringing Up Baby and The Phildelphia Story]. I think growing up with The The Three Stooges made it easy to accept and appreciate very old films and even to love the aesthetic of that era.

I also like Zelig and Radio Days and still laugh at his earlier stuff like Bananas and Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask, (which does take on a new meaning with more recent events).

The original point of my post is: how can a movie that seems so clear and modern and that I remember so well be 47 years old? What does that say about me?

I also like Zelig and Radio Days and still laugh at his earlier stuff like Bananas and Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask, (which does take on a new meaning with more recent events).

The original point of my post is: how can a movie that seems so clear and modern and that I remember so well be 47 years old? What does that say about me?
The man I used to work for did the animated title sequences for his early movies. I think up until Sleeper? Then Woody got a review that said the best thing about the movie was the titles, and he then went to his all black with simple white typography signature credits for everything thereafter.

Anyway, so, yeah, 47 years just isn’t so long ago. I still routinely watch sitcoms from that era—Mary Tyler Moore, Taxi, Bob Newhart, etc. And much older stuff. In guitar gear forums, the debate is about at what year a guitar is considered “vintage” and a lot of us shudder when something from the 80s or later is discussed as vintage. For younger players, that’s old. For us in our 50s, that was high school and we think of stuff from the 60s as vintage.

There is certainly a niche for Woody Allen fans. And I love older movies as well like Bringing up Baby.

Woody Allen cant stand any of it, then again I gave up watching them since the mid 80s. But after not like the first 10 or so I figured whats the point.

Going thru a phase now of watching older tv shows anyway. MEtv and GetTV and can get my fill of old comedies and detective shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom