Ano’s Meanderings | Syracusefan.com

Ano’s Meanderings

anomander

Living Legend
i took a couple days to digest that bad meal, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth, but here are some totally random thoughts/takeaways.

Shell-Shocked - What happened? I thought the 1st half of football was the best coaching job this staff has done in the last 2 seasons. Even though it didn’t work out, I absolutely loved it how they won the coin toss and elected to take the ball instead of the typical deferment to the 2H. I think it did 2 things. 1. - Inspired confidence in Mahoney, and 2. - let WF know we were coming out and weren’t going to change a thing when it came to aggressiveness.
That first half squeezed every single drop of talent out of Mahoney. For the most part the offensive plays calling was great. The staff as a whole also did a great job making adjustments. They went from down a TD and not being able to stop them, to up 17, and 5 straight defensive stops, with your back up RB and your back QB already over 300 yards.
Unfortunately, the game didn’t end at half. For as good as the staff was in planning and adjusting in 1H, they were equally bad, plus some in. 2H. Mahoney went from an all-league QB back to a walk-on JC QB. The defense went from 5 straight stops, to not getting half as many stops for the remainder of the game. It was brutal and really, really disappointing. It would have been 1 thing if WF ran them from the jump. You can point to needing to get his guys in. Or Clawson being in year 4 if a similar rebuild. But they proved in the 1H they were capable of overcoming all of that. That’s what frustrated me the most. I’m as big of a Babers supporter as you will find and that isn’t going to change because of 1 game, but man that was really, really disappointing.

Ok. Now that I got that off my chest here are some quick hitters.

- Really starting to see how badly Cordy and Martin are missed. I thought Willams was outstanding in the beginning of the year , but that’s when he is only called up For 12-15 snaps, hopefully in running situations. If he has to play the whole game and is expected to hold up in coverage all game , then they are going to be in trouble. Huge step down from Martin. They even tried Ellison back there, but that was equally bad, if not worse. Both are solid in run support, but both take terrible angles and have below average speed . And I hate to get on these 2 this much because they both can be really good with small roles, but these are the upper class men people reference that were left by Shafer. In other words there is a reason Babers went after Martin.

- WF OL was dominant. Robinson seemed to be on the verge of breaking out. Coleman returned from injury. Slayton was having an all-acc type of season, but WF’s OL absolutely doninTed this unit. A lot of blame was going at our DB’s, but Wolford has all day to sit in the pocket and scan the field. At least in other games we may not have been getting sacks, but we were hitting QB’s ( I believe at 1 point we knocked 3 straight starters out). Saturday they barely touched Wolford until he was well past the LOS. Big drop off for this group.

- LB’s were just as bad, maybe worse. Franklin and Bennett both may have had the worst games of their career. Poor Jonathan Thomas was running 5 yards behind Cam Serigne the whole game. I will say it is games like this where our relatively small group of LB’s will be upgraded next year in the size, speed, athleticism category. I know there is a lot of instinct, intelligence, and leadership that goes into the position and Zaire and Paris have that in abundance. But I also know that adding some athletes that are 6’2 and 225-240 with a little more speed might help make a difference.

- Mahoney is a good QB. But he showed why he is at best a back up QB. He had a 1H of a lifetime , but followed that up with an absolute egg, with a couple back breaking int’s to boot . Was he good enough to get the win? Probably . But having Dungey on the field is night and day difference . Mahoney’a arm has improved, and he throws a nice deep ball, but he still 1 hopped several balls and was off target on many , either throwing hospital balls like to Erv, or at Butlers ankles. It also takes away the threat on the ground. Not having Dingey is a big step down.

- Speaking of Butler... I think the kid has all the talent in the world just as long as he can catch the ball. Unlike most, I do think he could be the unquestioned #1 WR next season. My theory is that his confidence was hurt this year when he didn’t get named opening day starter. Has that forced him to lead the team in drops? I don’t know about that, but it definitely could have effected his performance. To his defense - the “drops” Saturday are probably catches he needs to make, but each was throw below his knees as he was going over the middle. If he has a full off season to prepare , knowing he was going to be the man, I think he can be counted on for a big season. Hecam consistently get open deep, and is electric with the ball in his hands. If he was given the opportunity as Ish I think we could see similar numbers. He needs to add some size in the off-season, as well as his hands, but he will give us that home run threat, both over the top and with the WR screen.

- ish continues to impress. I’m really happy for him that he is having an all-American type of season. He is the exact opposite of Butler, where he has turned into a big, strong WR. He uses his size to consistently win 50-50 balls, and has big strong hands. I expect that he will finish the season strong and really hope we make a Bowl Game for him and the seniors.

- OL has improved, which uncoincidentally has led to improvements from Strickland and Neal. Strickland was having a good game before he got hurt, and then Neal came in and showed that home run ability. I do think they either need to add a PG RB, or a JC RB, but I’m not as worried about the group as I once was after we add the FR coming in.

-Speaking of Freshman, I continue to be impressed by Nykiem Johnson. He is another one where all I think he needs is a chance to be featured. The kid can fly. He is going to add a dimension that we haven’t had here in a while . I was wat bing him after he ran that sweep and the next play they lined up and he had a LB covering him. I was hoping to Hell they went back to him again, and they should have because he made that defender look silly when he ran his route. Unfortunately, they didn’t , which is on the coaches. I don’t get how you can’t see that match up advantage from the booth and let Lewis know. If an amateur eye like mine recognized it, I thought it would be abundantly clear. Either way when he takes over for Erv in the slot I am going to go out on a limb and say, not only do we not have a drop off, but we improve. Erv has had an amazing career, and one hell of a surprise to boot, but he’s not a natural WR like Johnson will be. I also think Johnson has an extra gear that Erv doesn’t have, and hopefully a little better hands ( I would rate Erv’s hands as average at best).

- As for our chances to win these last 2 games I am not counting this team out. I think they play best with a chip on their shoulder. I think if. Babers had the opportunity to do over and handle the Clemson win differently he would. He may not say so, but he would be stupid not to. I think there was too much back slapping and they got a little soft. Being able to say we beat. clemson is nice, but they did not capitalize on it and all of the momentum the program was gaining from the win is gone. It can still be salvaged by winning these next 2 games, but if they don’t, I will count it as a huge blown opportunity . Back to Louisville. I do think this is a better match up for us then our previous road games. Jackson does seem to be really coming on, and he can beat you by himself, but I think as a team, they match up better against teams with poor defenses, which is something Louisville has. I don’t care who starts, we will be able to score points. The question is stopping them. Before last weekend I would have said our chances of winning a shootout were pretty good, but last week makes me question that. Lville doesn’t have the skill players they did last year, but again Jackson can put the team on his shoulders himself. I think our loss vs WF will allow Dino to refocus the guys and use this as a “nobody thinks we can win, but us” type of game. I think we can win in a mini shootout , say 48-42, and if we win this Saturday, there is no way the big old meathead himself is coming in with a bowl birth on the line and beating us. Obviously, I still have faith in this season , that we are good enough to win, and I certainly have absolute faith in Dino and this staff to bring us back to a winning program.

LGO

Last edited:
i took a couple days to digest that bad meal, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth, but here are some totally random thoughts/takeaways.

Shell-Shocked - What happened? I thought the 1st half of football was the best coaching job this staff has done in the last 2 seasons. Even though it didn’t work out, I absolutely loved it how they won the coin toss and elected to take the ball instead of the typical deferment to the 2H. I think it did 2 things. 1. - Inspired confidence in Mahoney, and 2. - let WF know we were coming out and weren’t going to change a thing when it came to aggressiveness.
That first half squeezed every single drop of talent out of Mahoney. For the most part the offensive plays calling was great. The staff as a whole also did a great job making adjustments. They went from down a TD and not being able to stop them, to up 17, and 5 straight defensive stops, with your back up RB and your back QB already over 300 yards.
Unfortunately, the game didn’t end at half. For as good as the staff was in planning and adjusting in 1H, they were equally bad, plus some in. 2H. Mahoney went from an all-league QB back to a walk-on JC QB. The defense went from 5 straight stops, to not getting half as many stops for the remainder of the game. It was brutal and really, really disappointing. It would have been 1 thing if WF ran them from the jump. You can point to needing to get his guys in. Or Clawson being in year 4 if a similar rebuild. But they proved in the 1H they were capable of overcoming all of that. That’s what frustrated me the most. I’m as big of a Babers supporter as you will find and that isn’t going to change because of 1 game, but man that was really, really disappointing.

Ok. Now that I got that off my chest here are some quick hitters.

- Really starting to see how badly Cordy and Martin are missed. I thought Willams was outstanding in the beginning of the year , but that’s when he is only called up For 12-15 snaps, hopefully in running situations. If he has to play the whole game and is expected to hold up in coverage all game , then they are going to be in trouble. Huge step down from Martin. They even tried Ellison back there, but that was equally bad, if not worse. Both are solid in run support, but both take terrible angles and have below average speed . And I hate to get on these 2 this much because they both can be really good with small roles, but these are the upper class men people reference that were left by Shafer. In other words there is a reason Babers went after Martin.

- WF OL was dominant. Robinson seemed to be on the verge of breaking out. Coleman returned from injury. Slayton was having an all-acc type of season, but WF’s OL absolutely doninTed this unit. A lot of blame was going at our DB’s, but Wolford has all day to sit in the pocket and scan the field. At least in other games we may not have been getting sacks, but we were hitting QB’s ( I believe at 1 point we knocked 3 straight starters out). Saturday they barely touched Wolford until he was well past the LOS. Big drop off for this group.

- LB’s were just as bad, maybe worse. Franklin and Bennett both may have had the worst games of their career. Poor Jonathan Th

Are you alright? This seems to have ended rather abruptly.

Are you alright? This seems to have ended rather abruptly.

Hahah yep. Actually had to take a pause to do some real work and didn’t want to lose what I wrote

I don't get all the negative I'm reading about Mahoney. He's not why we lost, the kid had a game most QB's would salivate over and he's the backup. The gameplan in the 2H was not good. 3 bombs in a row to the end zone from you backup QB, come on. ED threw 3 int's to start 3 games in a row, if I have that right. Even when down in the 1H, Mahoney didn't throw an interception until the 2nd half. I don't think that's indicative of Mahoney playing poorly, ED has struggled to throw good balls, make good reads, and has thrown INT's this year too.

As far as Butler, IMO WR's who drop passes all season long are always a risk to drop passes. Some guys catch everything thrown at them and some guys just drop a lot of passes. I don't know that Butler is always going to be a guy who drops passes but more often than not, if he's dropping them now he'll be dropping them next year too.

Reactions:
  • Yeah the DTs didn't play like they had been.
  • Williams at S is a major liability unless we are playing Georgia Tech. He's slooooooww.
  • "Butler... I think the kid has all the talent in the world just as long as he can catch the ball." Ummm...he's a Wide Freaking Receiver. The #1 talent item here is CATCH. THE. BALL!
  • Consider re-branding your posts as "Ano's Ammo." It sings, baby...

I don't get all the negative I'm reading about Mahoney. He's not why we lost, the kid had a game most QB's would salivate over and he's the backup. The gameplan in the 2H was not good. 3 bombs in a row to the end zone from you backup QB, come on. ED threw 3 int's to start 3 games in a row, if I have that right. Even when down in the 1H, Mahoney didn't throw an interception until the 2nd half. I don't think that's indicative of Mahoney playing poorly, ED has struggled to throw good balls, make good reads, and has thrown INT's this year too.

As far as Butler, IMO WR's who drop passes all season long are always a risk to drop passes. Some guys catch everything thrown at them and some guys just drop a lot of passes. I don't know that Butler is always going to be a guy who drops passes but more often than not, if he's dropping them now he'll be dropping them next year too.

You should go listen to Baber's press conference. He explains why he took those 3 deep shots in a row. It actually makes good sense. We had our man beat each of the 3 times (because they were playing their defenders up to stop the short passes). If Mahoney was a more accurate QB that is a TD there on that drive. It really is a shame but it is what it is.

Accuracy for a QB can make all the difference. Even the drops we see probably get cut down if the ball is thrown on time and in the correct window.. A couple of Butlers drops were because the ball got there late and he tried to make moves too soon. ED often throws the ball too soon which leads to inaccurate throws as well.. Mahoney often waited too long to make throws leaving the WR less time to complete the play.. Lets hope Devito cna throw it on time and with zip and in the correct windows, thats when the offense sings.. Wolford did a nice job sat of that.

You should go listen to Baber's press conference. He explains why he took those 3 deep shots in a row. It actually makes good sense. We had our man beat each of the 3 times (because they were playing their defenders up to stop the short passes). If Mahoney was a more accurate QB that is a TD there on that drive. It really is a shame but it is what it is.

I listened to his news conference. Coach speak as far as I'm concerned, how did you expect him to respond?

You explained one of the reasons why this was a poor series of plays, "If Mahoney was a more accurate QB". So if you believe he's not an accurate QB, why would it make sense to run 3 plays in a row that require a high level of accuracy and plays which we haven't done that well with, with our more accurate QB?

People give Babers a pass with those plays and chalk it up to "aggressiveness", so it's okay. It was bad playcalling, combined with then attempting to kick a FG when even the kicker knew he wasn't going to make it. WF then goes down the field and scores a TD. That was a huge series.

When a 10 year old playing Madden throws the ball to the end zone 3 times in a row from the 40, we shake our heads.

I thought only one of Butler's drops was bad for this stage of his development. The others were not good throws. I don't think he ever played WR before he got here right? Next year should be his breakout with the Erv and Ish departing.

Re-watching the game, Mahoney threw so many bad passes. He was bailed out a few times. And not just bad throws, some really bad decisions. On that first INT, he had Custis breaking and the DB bailing out before he threw the ball. On the infamous 3rd down, I think it was pointed out, but Erv had wandered free in the zone right in front of his face. Dino had seen enough.

I'm really worried about the D on Saturday based on your observations of Williams at safety. Lamar is probably going to have another field day. I thought Tampa 2 meant safeties were conservatively back in a zone covering an area of the field. Ours seemed to be aggressively attacking downhill on RPO and taking terrible angles at that.

Given our mindset, the way Louisville looked last week, and it being Senior & Lavar Day, this weekend might prove to be as big, or bigger upset than any of the other road games would have been.

Really curious to see how Wake does at home against NC State, and that DL.

Out of all the WR's N.Johnson is the toughest to tackle, might be fun next year when he figures it out regarding catching the ball and routes. Thought Riley did an excellent job on all returns...seems to be learning as he goes and improving as well as the blocking in front of him. Wolford has started for Wake for what, 8 years? He's always been solid and staying healthy was always his biggest fault, sound familiar?

I listened to his news conference. Coach speak as far as I'm concerned, how did you expect him to respond?

You explained one of the reasons why this was a poor series of plays, "If Mahoney was a more accurate QB". So if you believe he's not an accurate QB, why would it make sense to run 3 plays in a row that require a high level of accuracy and plays which we haven't done that well with, with our more accurate QB?

People give Babers a pass with those plays and chalk it up to "aggressiveness", so it's okay. It was bad playcalling, combined with then attempting to kick a FG when even the kicker knew he wasn't going to make it. WF then goes down the field and scores a TD. That was a huge series.

When a 10 year old playing Madden throws the ball to the end zone 3 times in a row from the 40, we shake our heads.

Ok. So then be the coach for that series. You see that the DB's are playing up and taking away the short passes. What do you do?

I thought only one of Butler's drops was bad for this stage of his development. The others were not good throws. I don't think he ever played WR before he got here right? Next year should be his breakout with the Erv and Ish departing.

Re-watching the game, Mahoney threw so many bad passes. He was bailed out a few times. And not just bad throws, some really bad decisions. On that first INT, he had Custis breaking and the DB bailing out before he threw the ball. On the infamous 3rd down, I think it was pointed out, but Erv had wandered free in the zone right in front of his face. Dino had seen enough.

I'm really worried about the D on Saturday based on your observations of Williams at safety. Lamar is probably going to have another field day. I thought Tampa 2 meant safeties were conservatively back in a zone covering an area of the field. Ours seemed to be aggressively attacking downhill on RPO and taking terrible angles at that.

Given our mindset, the way Louisville looked last week, and it being Senior & Lavar Day, this weekend might prove to be as big, or bigger upset than any of the other road games would have been.

Really curious to see how Wake does at home against NC State, and that DL.

Williams and Ellison, specifically, were recruited to Shafer's scheme. All-out blitzes, aggressive run stopping and hope you get there before the QB throws it deep to a wide open WR.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But tough to break habits of kids who are used to and were recruited to play a different way.

Of all the recruits we've brought in over the past 10 years I've only gone out on a limb and predicted that one would be more productive than most anticipated. I don't like to make predictions. Too many variables. That recruit was Erv Philips.

Maybe not next year, but I expect Jawhar Jordan Jr will eventually be a game changer. No matter what position he ends up at. I hope it's running back.

Accuracy for a QB can make all the difference. Even the drops we see probably get cut down if the ball is thrown on time and in the correct window.. A couple of Butlers drops were because the ball got there late and he tried to make moves too soon. ED often throws the ball too soon which leads to inaccurate throws as well.. Mahoney often waited too long to make throws leaving the WR less time to complete the play.. Lets hope Devito cna throw it on time and with zip and in the correct windows, thats when the offense sings.. Wolford did a nice job sat of that.

I don't know about that. I re-watched those bombs after Baber's said that and the first two were pretty well covered. I didn't see the Wake DB's as "beat" at all. The last one to Ish was probably the most open of the 3, but the throw was way off. Ish didn't have a chance to make a play on it. Just my opinion.

Reactions: CIL
Hahah yep. Actually had to take a pause to do some real work and didn’t want to lose what I wrote

Suggestion: If it's along post, put it on WORD first. That way if you have to interrupt it, you can come back and finish it later, then copy and paste to the board.

Ok. So then be the coach for that series. You see that the DB's are playing up and taking away the short passes. What do you do?

As was just mentioned, the DB’s were not “beat” or being beat down the field. IMO, it was coach speak to protect the play calling. That’s fine, it was a bad series of calls.

If DB’s are playing up, you don’t run a play with a guy running straight down the field if he can’t get separation. It’s actually the opposite of what you run unless you have a WR that’s the fastest guy in the building and can catch.

You can line 2 WR’s up on one side, one running a curl and the other running a short slant inside, if you don’t need the RB or TE to pass protect you have them come out of the backfield. This keeps the LB’s in place and keeps the DB’s closer to the the LOS to cover the 3 potential WR’s. If there’s one safety, it forces the safety (more likely in college) to cheat to that side or drop down into coverage. On the other side you run one WR on a deep inside slant. As soon as he makes his break you hit him.

The bigger problem is when the defense is being physical our WR’s have a hard time getting open, the QB is making the wrong read, or not hitting the WR on their break.

Suggestion: If it's along post, put it on WORD first. That way if you have to interrupt it, you can come back and finish it later, then copy and paste to the board.

I guess that is a lot better than driving and posting...which after going back and reading my original post I will never do again since it looks to be written by a 1st grader . Damn those long drives in the middle of no where.

I read initially that in 1st 1/2 WF defense didnt raise their hands but in 2nd they did and Mahoney had alot more trouble seeing recievers

we dont hit WR on the break. we tend to watch them make the break and then try to hit them. the coaches would have to tell us if thats be design or not.

Regarding the coin toss, im pretty sure the General said, "We don't go on defense."

As was just mentioned, the DB’s were not “beat” or being beat down the field. IMO, it was coach speak to protect the play calling. That’s fine, it was a bad series of calls.

If DB’s are playing up, you don’t run a play with a guy running straight down the field if he can’t get separation. It’s actually the opposite of what you run unless you have a WR that’s the fastest guy in the building and can catch.

You can line 2 WR’s up on one side, one running a curl and the other running a short slant inside, if you don’t need the RB or TE to pass protect you have them come out of the backfield. This keeps the LB’s in place and keeps the DB’s closer to the the LOS to cover the 3 potential WR’s. If there’s one safety, it forces the safety (more likely in college) to cheat to that side or drop down into coverage. On the other side you run one WR on a deep inside slant. As soon as he makes his break you hit him.

The bigger problem is when the defense is being physical our WR’s have a hard time getting open, the QB is making the wrong read, or not hitting the WR on their break.
Beat isn't 2 yards. In this system, beat is a press corner turning his hips the wrong way. It's a single high safety a yard from the boundary side hash. It's a robber that doesn't roll down to take away the inside slant.

Beat isn't 2 yards. In this system, beat is a press corner turning his hips the wrong way. It's a single high safety a yard from the boundary side hash. It's a robber that doesn't roll down to take away the inside slant.

Again, Mahoney wasn’t going to make that pass. We haven’t done well with that exact play even with ED playing. It’s a really low % play, so to run it 3 times in a row, followed by an extremely low % FG try.

I guess I don’t know why that’s so hard to understand, unless some people will just defend everything DB does, which I’m guessing is the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom