another 5* to G-League | Syracusefan.com

another 5* to G-League

I wonder who the coaches will be for this developmental group.

How?

I'm in this camp. I think the guys that are rent-a-players will go make some serious money in this new league and develop for the NBA draft, in turn opening the door for more (albeit less talented) players.

Let's say the top 40-50 guys every single year go this route (which is probably significantly too high). That should even out talent (more than it is today anyway), because after you get past those top guys, the difference between guy 51 and 200 isn't all that great. The UNC's, UK's, KU's etc. that load up on the cream of the crop, will likely still bring in the "top guys," but those top players aren't at a level so far above the next tier of players below them, which should in theory, make for more competitive games.

I foresee this bringing more stability & continuity to programs around the country. If it does, and those guys stick around 2 or 3, or even 4 years, then the next wave of recruits coming in, may filter more outside of the blue bloods. I also believe we'll see more competition, and not the same handful of schools making their way to the FF and national title games. Overall, I think it will make for a better product, less roster turnover. The more stability & familiarity a team has, the better the basketball will be.

I'd rather watch a group of slightly lesser players, who have played together for a few years than a handful of one and dones trying to figure out how to play together for 2/3's of a season before gelling. Personally, I would find that to be a better brand of basketball to watch than what is out there today.

Everyone understands these kids won't be playing any actual G league games, right? They may see some action in summer leagues, but no real game action until they join the G league or the NBA the following year.

NBA G League Select Contracts are designed for year-round professional growth and will include opportunities for basketball development, life skills mentorship and academic scholarship. These offerings are slated to include basketball workouts during the summer months through existing NBA infrastructure like NBA Summer League and NBA Academies, year-round education programs designed to increase players’ ability to personally and professionally manage their careers, and a scholarship program for athletes who want to pursue higher education after their playing days. Additionally, the NBA G League will further enhance player experience through existing partner relationships and NBA player development programming.

I agree this will be a good move for some kids, if they really don't want to pretend to go to classes in college. But I'm interested to see what happens when one of these kids blows out a knee in the developmental year and doesn't get picked up by an actual NBA team the following year.

I also can't help but think some of these kids are being shortsighted with the money aspect. Zion is the perfect example. The shoe blowout made him millions and millions of dollars in exposure and future contracts. That happens in a developmental training session, no one even knows about it. I have no ability to quantify what playing in college will mean for the true superstars, but it's significant. Every Dukie fan for the rest of time will have interest in buying Zion gear.

I'm in this camp. I think the guys that are rent-a-players will go make some serious money in this new league and develop for the NBA draft, in turn opening the door for more (albeit less talented) players.

Let's say the top 40-50 guys every single year go this route (which is probably significantly too high). That should even out talent (more than it is today anyway), because after you get past those top guys, the difference between guy 51 and 200 isn't all that great. The UNC's, UK's, KU's etc. that load up on the cream of the crop, will likely still bring in the "top guys," but those top players aren't at a level so far above the next tier of players below them, which should in theory, make for more competitive games.

I foresee this bringing more stability & continuity to programs around the country. If it does, and those guys stick around 2 or 3, or even 4 years, then the next wave of recruits coming in, may filter more outside of the blue bloods. I also believe we'll see more competition, and not the same handful of schools making their way to the FF and national title games. Overall, I think it will make for a better product, less roster turnover. The more stability & familiarity a team has, the better the basketball will be.

I'd rather watch a group of slightly lesser players, who have played together for a few years than a handful of one and dones trying to figure out how to play together for 2/3's of a season before gelling. Personally, I would find that to be a better brand of basketball to watch than what is out there today.
I mostly agree. I would miss the occasional Zion, but, by and large, it would probably be more enjoyable basketball.

Everyone understands these kids won't be playing any actual G league games, right? They may see some action in summer leagues, but no real game action until they join the G league or the NBA the following year.

NBA G League Select Contracts are designed for year-round professional growth and will include opportunities for basketball development, life skills mentorship and academic scholarship. These offerings are slated to include basketball workouts during the summer months through existing NBA infrastructure like NBA Summer League and NBA Academies, year-round education programs designed to increase players’ ability to personally and professionally manage their careers, and a scholarship program for athletes who want to pursue higher education after their playing days. Additionally, the NBA G League will further enhance player experience through existing partner relationships and NBA player development programming.

I agree this will be a good move for some kids, if they really don't want to pretend to go to classes in college. But I'm interested to see what happens when one of these kids blows out a knee in the developmental year and doesn't get picked up by an actual NBA team the following year.

I also can't help but think some of these kids are being shortsighted with the money aspect. Zion is the perfect example. The shoe blowout made him millions and millions of dollars in exposure and future contracts. That happens in a developmental training session, no one even knows about it. I have no ability to quantify what playing in college will mean for the true superstars, but it's significant. Every Dukie fan for the rest of time will have interest in buying Zion gear.
It'll be interesting. Will the elite prospects elevate the stature of a developmental league and increase exposure for everyone involved or will the lack of connection that immediately exists with fans of specific college programs limit interest?

One of the arguments for paying players has been that they're the ones bringing exposure to the schools. Others have argued that schools provide the national platform for the players to be noticed. Maybe we'll get an idea of how much each side contributes to the equation.

I think a lot of guys that may have had a chance to at least make a name for themselves in college will flame out and never be heard from, if this becomes common place. I'm pretty sure I won't bother watching. I'll only care about who makes it to the Association.

It'll be interesting. Will the elite prospects elevate the stature of a developmental league and increase exposure for everyone involved or will the lack of connection that immediately exists with fans of specific college programs limit interest?

One of the arguments for paying players has been that they're the ones bringing exposure to the schools. Others have argued that schools provide the national platform for the players to be noticed. Maybe we'll get an idea of how much each side contributes to the equation.

I think a lot of guys that may have had a chance to at least make a name for themselves in college will flame out and never be heard from, if this becomes common place. I'm pretty sure I won't bother watching. I'll only care about who makes it to the Association.
Agree with everything you said, except calling it a league. It's not a group of teams that will be playing each other. The first year guys will have almost no exposure at all. Just want to be clear on that.

It will be very similar to the path that Bazley took. He's done well with it, but just wonder what that one year of college could have done for his 'brand.'

I mostly agree. I would miss the occasional Zion, but, by and large, it would probably be more enjoyable basketball.

Completely agree. Hate Duke, but loved watching Zion. That would be the only thing I'd miss.

Agree with everything you said, except calling it a league. It's not a group of teams that will be playing each other. The first year guys will have almost no exposure at all. Just want to be clear on that.
The NIL issue (shoe money, the potential for more corruption in college hoops, etc) is a separate discussion. But as to the new G-L option, I wonder how many HS prospects each year are going to get $500k? If it's a half dozen I'll be surprised. Some fans may enjoy seeing them in 'exhibition' games, but G-L isn't a big draw. At the college level, losing them will have a negligible effect - mostly on the semi-pro schools. And not all elites who get a G-L offer will jump. Many will stick with the tried and true college experience ... the hype, college coaching, D-1 competition and national TV exposure.

Last edited:
Noone will ever care about the G League.

No reason to not go that route though after how well it worked for Bazely who wasn't that high of a recruit. I don't think any of the guys who went abroad had their stock go up like interning at NB.

If they can go this route and draw any kind of paycheck April 2020 with the world on hold that is even more reason.

One thing I will say about the G league is that they are very well versed at playing in completely empty gyms as that is the norm so if thats what we have to deal with it will be business as usual.

Thd problem is that not all of the 5* will go for the money. There will be a limited few who for what ever reason won't go. Now the top few schools will nab them creating a bigger gap in team a talent. Plus the limited # of foreign kids who went to "lesser" schools will go to thd big 4 or 5.

Thd problem is that not all of the 5* will go for the money. There will be a limited few who for what ever reason won't go. Now the top few schools will nab them creating a bigger gap in team a talent. Plus the limited # of foreign kids who went to "lesser" schools will go to thd big 4 or 5.
I don't think the gap will be any bigger. It'll be about the same or smaller. Instead of those schools getting 4-5 of the elites, they'll get 2-3 and then fill out their class with the next tier. And if the absolute elites, let's say the top 3-5, mostly bypass college, the gap will be smaller. Even amongst MAA there's usually a noticeable difference between the top 5 guys and guys 20-25.

Essentially, I agree. I would like to address a few points made here, and by others.
First, it will also make college coaches screen prospects more thoroughly. You can use N C State as an example. In the past two recruiting cycles, they have had an elite prospect successfully recruited, only to have him decide to play professionally. (Josh Hall just announced he's signing with an agent.) If you're a State fan, you have to view these developments as huge wastes of resources. Coaches need to know if a kid has any interest in going to school, or if basketball is their sole concern. If he is an elite recruit, and his sole interest is basketball, how much effort does a coach put into his recruitment. Furthermore, I think coaches will have to be very careful using the pitch, "I can make you NBA ready!" It may still be a viable approach for lesser talents, but if that is the selling point for a high profile recruit, I believe that there is a very high degree of risk involved.
That said, I believe that schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and LSU will be the most at risk. They will have to decide whom they will recruit based not only on talent but intentions.
There will still be 'one & dones'. Just because the scouting services don't give a prospect five stars doesn't mean he shares that opinion. And, as importantly, it doesn't mean that his friends and family share that opinion. Furthermore, some hidden gems will emerge during their first year of intercollegiate competition. They will go pro along with those who merely imagine that they are ready. Not much is going to change that.
Finally, I suspect the G League will continue to evolve. It will change. Its marketing will change. If its elite players aren't getting the visibility the NBA believes they should be getting, the NBA will find a way to rectify that. The insatiable demands of media for more content have to be considered. As cable subscribers decline and new streaming services appear almost weekly, it seems that this won't be a huge problem.

The key part of your argument is that the difference between 51 and 200 isn’t as big as the difference between one and 51. I agree and hope that you’re right. It’s also worth noting that there seem to be very few one and done players in the final four.

Gonna miss watching top talent play in college, tho now that you can pay players, Duke, UK, etc will pay more than the G.

“I wouldn’t have bothered taking the Memphis job had I known there was a chance all the kids from my AAU team and for whom I provided housing would have the option of joining the G League select program before playing for Memphis.”

- Penny Hardaway

“I wouldn’t have bothered taking the Memphis job had I known there was a chance all the kids from my AAU team and for whom I provided housing would have the option of joining the G League select program before playing for Memphis.”

- Penny Hardaway
Penny should work for the G-league they would get all the players they need...