Any Practice Facility updates? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any Practice Facility updates?

oldpinepoint said:
The issue that I heard is related to environmental concerns with regard to the stream that flows near Manley. Now I'm not sure what neighborhood issues there could be because its not like the structure is impeding on the wonderful views of homeowners. There could also be some political issues as well with the permit. I'm not sure if the person was referring to environmental concerns or if in fact it was something else. These things will get ironed out, I would expect the project to get started soon.

That's exactly what it is and has been since last year. SU just needs to . They've been saying the same things for a year.

That's exactly what it is and has been since last year. SU just needs to . They've been saying the same things for a year.
Agree bees, under promise and over deliver.

That is my philosophy, under promise and deliver as promised

The major hang up is drainage and permits linked to this issue.

Here is an article on Michigan's stadium that is facing a similar issue.
http://arborwiki.org/Allen_Creek

JFC!

Sitting in my office now I'm finding it hard not to scream on someone. With each passing day I read something else that convinces me further that this administration down at City Hall could easily f*#% up a cup of coffee.

JFC!

Sitting in my office now I'm finding it hard not to scream on someone. With each passing day I read something else that convinces me further that this administration down at City Hall could easily f*#% up a cup of coffee.

Jesus. It has nothing to do with City Hall. Thankfully your coworkers can be spared the screaming.

this made me laugh

TNIAAM

Syracuse is apparently bending time and space to get this facility open in time for fall practice. The original announcement said it would take eight to nine months to complete. Now they're implying it will take three months.

Good luck with that.

If the drainage is the issue, what (other than cost) would prevent SU from building where the Soccer Stadium is now and using this to build a bigger outdoor stadium that soccer and lacrosse could use (bleachers on both sides/better concessions, locker rooms)? Could this new stadium go at Manley or on South?

If the drainage is the issue, what (other than cost) would prevent SU from building where the Soccer Stadium is now and using this to build a bigger outdoor stadium that soccer and lacrosse could use (bleachers on both sides/better concessions, locker rooms)? Could this new stadium go at Manley or on South?

Probably just a couple variances they'd have to seek for building so close to the lot lines on Lancaster and Colvin.

I like that idea better; it's a more efficient use of space. But I think the soccer team, like most organizations at SU, is kind of possessive of its facility and wouldn't want to share a new one, even if that new one were better. Also, SU's going to want to use the track site at some point; whatever construction occurs there is going to have to go through the same permitting process.

It's all cool, though - SU will get the permits at some point.

Thanks Otto. I just think it would be a great advantage to have a bigger "stadium" for SU that could also host some HS Lax. I think the current soccer facility is limiting and it would be nice if women's lax could have the option to be outside in good weather.

SU could just refurbish the existing outdoor track instead of moving that to Skytop- especially if the future plans could involve a new arena/stadium up there. Would hate to see Fox's group suffer yet another facility loss a few years from now.

Thanks Otto. I just think it would be a great advantage to have a bigger "stadium" for SU that could also host some HS Lax. I think the current soccer facility is limiting and it would be nice if women's lax could have the option to be outside in good weather.

SU could just refurbish the existing outdoor track instead of moving that to Skytop- especially if the future plans could involve a new arena/stadium up there. Would hate to see Fox's group suffer yet another facility loss a few years from now.

That's a good point regarding a potential future stadium. I hate the Skytop option anyway - it's brutally windy up there most of the time. Crappy location for running, throwing, and softball.

Seems Coyne would be the perfect spot for an expanded outdoor stadium. Ditch the turf and plant grass, build an east grandstand as part of the IPF, expand the concessions and other buildings to close it in on the parking lot side. SU doesn't see the need (they're the experts, of course) but I think such a facility would get a lot of use.

JFC!

Things like this are more than city hall. Think bigger... EPA, DEC, Army corp of engineers etc... With adding a building to the site you are adding insurance liability for possible flooding, weight of the structure on ground soil, contamination of underground water, effects of construction on the underlying systems, etc... I have done jack leg contracting all my life so people like IB and others probably could fill in more of the obstacles for things like this. If it is just a field there is not much to worry about if it floods; a structure is a different issue.

Last edited:
Are there any new updates on the practice facility? Hold ups? Have they begun any contruction as of yet?

That's a good point regarding a potential future stadium. I hate the Skytop option anyway - it's brutally windy up there most of the time. Crappy location for running, throwing, and softball.

Seems Coyne would be the perfect spot for an expanded outdoor stadium. Ditch the turf and plant grass, build an east grandstand as part of the IPF, expand the concessions and other buildings to close it in on the parking lot side. SU doesn't see the need (they're the experts, of course) but I think such a facility would get a lot of use.
There is a lot of merit to what you are saying. One of the other nice things about the Coyne site is that in the event the crowd exceeds the seats provided for, another thousand people or more could conceivably sit on the grass on the big hill just north of the field (this happened for some lacrosse and soccer games back before the Dome was built).

Add amenities for track to the facility, and make the stands compressible on the western side ala the old Manley, use field turf and soccer, softball, track and field and lacrosse could be played there. Hosting home games at the Skytop field for softball is a big issue now; having a field turf field that could be plowed and having a largely enclosed facility out of the wind would make it much easier for SU to host softball games in March and April.

One problem, I think, is field hockey. Field hockey is the one sport out there that actually prefers the old school nasty artificial turf that Coyne has had for so many years to nicer surfaces like grass or field turf.

So put field hockey and their artificial turf out where the soccer stadium is now and everyone wins. Soccer wouldn't be happy actually but the facility would be much closer to the locker rooms at Manley, the facility would be much larger and nicer and field turf isn't that bad to play on...

There is a lot of merit to what you are saying. One of the other nice things about the Coyne site is that in the event the crowd exceeds the seats provided for, another thousand people or more could conceivably sit on the grass on the big hill just north of the field (this happened for some lacrosse and soccer games back before the Dome was built).

Add amenities for track to the facility, and make the stands compressible on the western side ala the old Manley, use field turf and soccer, softball, track and field and lacrosse could be played there. Hosting home games at the Skytop field for softball is a big issue now; having a field turf field that could be plowed and having a largely enclosed facility out of the wind would make it much easier for SU to host softball games in March and April.

One problem, I think, is field hockey. Field hockey is the one sport out there that actually prefers the old school nasty artificial turf that Coyne has had for so many years to nicer surfaces like grass or field turf.

So put field hockey and their artificial turf out where the soccer stadium is now and everyone wins. Soccer wouldn't be happy actually but the facility would be much closer to the locker rooms at Manley, the facility would be much larger and nicer and field turf isn't that bad to play on...
And to appease the fans that don't want to sit outside in the snow and rain, build a roof like european soccer stadiums that cover only the fans

juventus-new-stadium.jpg

And to appease the fans that don't want to sit outside in the snow and rain, build a roof like european soccer stadiums that cover only the fans

juventus-new-stadium.jpg

The Red Bull stadium only cost $200 million...

The Red Bull stadium only cost $200 million...
Only seats 27k though. If they scaled it up to 47k then I think that's a good model to use. Was there for the US game this weekend, that place gets really loud and has great sightlines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom