Any thoughts on Richardson drive to the basket | Syracusefan.com

Any thoughts on Richardson drive to the basket

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
late I the game where he gets mugged but continues and makes the basket! Ref calls on the floor no free throw and even the announcers are appalled!

Honestly Mali gets fouled at least 75% he drives to the basket -- I think he rarely gets the call because he tends to look out of control. He has a great first step and seems to get by his man with ease. He'll be someone that as progresses year-to-year in college, will get a lot of calls.

that wasnt as bad as the play where he scored and was mugged by the overgrown jumpshooter and nothing was called.

It's going to come off as pro-Cuse, but I think they were right on Mali, wrong on Sabonis' continuation (well, Harlan was right).

At first glance, I agreed Sabonis was in the act of shooting on the play in the post where they debated whether the basket should have counted. On the replay, as Harlan pointed out, Mali had grabbed him while passing by, and after that fouled him again on the shot. Reggie never got to that point.

Mali was actually beginning the shooting process on his. He looked like he was on his last step and lifting to shoot...that one seemed clear to me.

Last edited:
I'm often confused with calls on shooting fouls now. Somebody gets clobbered but the shot goes in - play on. Then someone does a ticky tack swipe (like when Lydon barely touched Wiltjer's elbow towards the end of the game) and it's an and one. Seems to happen both ways. I just don't see the consistency.

We should have gotten some of the calls when our guys drove - Cooney, G, and Mali. The refs got the call right on Mali drive across the lane. Foul on the floor. That is the college rule. But they also got it right on the Sabonis shot in the lane. Foul on the floor. No continuation in college.

We should have gotten some of the calls when our guys drove - Cooney, G, and Mali. The refs got the call right on Mali drive across the lane. Foul on the floor. That is the college rule. But they also got it right on the Sabonis shot in the lane. Foul on the floor. No continuation in college.

Doesn't the fact that the contact occurred as he was lifting his arms (i.e. to enter the shooting motion) sufficient to make it a shooting foul? Unless they were saying it was body contact and not the swipe.

Honestly Mali gets fouled at least 75% he drives to the basket -- I think he rarely gets the call because he tends to look out of control. He has a great first step and seems to get by his man with ease. He'll be someone that as progresses year-to-year in college, will get a lot of calls.
He may look out of control because he actually is out of control? Love the Mal, but I wish he would bull it towards the basket with more finesse.

Doesn't the fact that the contact occurred as he was lifting his arms (i.e. to enter the shooting motion) sufficient to make it a shooting foul? Unless they were saying it was body contact and not the swipe.
I recall on the replay that the foul occurred with the body before the second step and before the shooting motion began. I remember saying to myself that the refs made a good call there.

I recall on the replay that the foul occurred with the body before the second step and before the shooting motion began. I remember saying to myself that the refs made a good call there.

Interesting, I'll have to rewatch that one to see if I was wrong. Appreciate the analysis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom