Anyone Know How Hughes Looks? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone Know How Hughes Looks?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Since he's the logical replacement for Battle next year, any idea how he's looked in practice?

Would be nice to have a plug-and-play, 10-12 ppg guy at that position for next year.

Between Howard, Hughes, Carey, Brissett, and Bazley... to go along with the two centers. I like the options a lot.

If Dolezaj comes back, even better. Not sure why everyone thinks it's inevitable. Maybe they know more than me. Hope not though, and it's just conjecture.

I've yet to hear a logical reason why Marek would leave.
Yeah, I'm not understanding this either. Would a year of exposure playing at SU lead to a better pro contact/opportunity overseas? If not, it seems that coming here would ultimately just delay his earning for a year.

Marek leaving doesn't make sense to me, stay here and become an NBA player instead. He has the capacity.

I don't question people who actually have sources, but I find myself wondering the same thing. I mean, he won't be in the nba next year. That is absolutely true. If he wanted to play in Europe next year, is there some reason he'd be here at all? And would the staff expend the resources and time recruiting him without discussing the distinct possibility that he would have come here, played sparingly (if Moyer is playing well Marek's minutes could easily have been cut in half or more) and then leave after a year?

Again, not really doubting anyone with actual sources, but it is weird that we haven't seen the slightest hint of rational explanation as to why this would happen.

Is there an age limit in Europe or any other reason this would have been a wasted year for him if he stayed? As for the staff taking him, it's no different than a 5th year transfer if they knew he was one and done. We had plenty of room and serious personnel issues.

Is there an age limit in Europe or any other reason this would have been a wasted year for him if he stayed? As for the staff taking him, it's no different than a 5th year transfer if they knew he was one and done. We had plenty of room and serious personnel issues.

Except he’s not a fifth-year transfer but instead a rather unproven freshman who weighs 160 lbs. And he has to be brought over from a foreign country, which requires much more time and $$ (well, not as much as Brian Bowen but ...). A fifth-year is a guy with a full body of work to base an evaluation off.

I don’t know anything can happen but I’d think the staff must at least have been thinking he was at least a two-year guy.

Marek leaving doesn't make sense to me, stay here and become an NBA player instead. He has the capacity.
Would be cool to see him improve his outside shot like Frank Howard did since last year. I don't know if it's confidence or technique (likely both), but if Marek could take a similar step forward next year, his lack of strength/bulk would be somewhat less of a consequence. I really think he's got to be a 3-year player to consider the NBA, though.

One of the Matt's calling the game last night said we are missing one of our best players in Hughes who is sitting out after transferring. I raised an eyebrow at that and didn't know if it was hyperbole or if Matt has inside info. Any insights?

continues to play very well at practice, practice is practice, but if you ask the Battle family they will tell you the best thing to happen to Tyus this year is Elijah Hughes

Wow! That's great to hear. Can't wait to see him next year.

Any prayer that a year playing with hughes keeps battle for his junior year?

Im grasping at straw

Color me surprised when Carey is Boeheimed into a 2nd year by limiting his PT via Frank at PG. Just enough minutes to contribute and win games, but not enough for NBA to take a flyer on him.

I have no updates but we can do a little review here.

Wasn't he the one dunking on everyone in practice?

Hughes has good size too so he could play the 2 (or 3) in our system depending on what jb thinks of his d.

I think it's safe to say he'll be ready to play. He looked very comfortable in his freshman year at Ecu especially against better competition.

From ecu website:
Scored double figures in nine games ... Led the Pirates in scoring twice with 19 points at home against USF and 18 versus Cincinnati ... Longest double digit scoring streak of the season was three games ... Averaged 16.0 points on 10-of-17 (.588) shooting from the field, 4-of-6 (.667) outside the 3-point arc and 8-of-10 (.800) in two games at The American Basketball Championship, scoring 17 against Temple and 15 versus SMU ... Posted season-highs for rebounds (6) and assists (4) on the road against UCONN ... Distributed four assists at Temple as well ... Made a trio of 3-pointers at home against USF and Cincinnati.​

From video, he has deep range, decent speed and looks strong. Listed at 215? Didn't see him handle much bc they had a very ball-dominant true point guard. But he wasn't afraid to take and make the big shot. He's an active defender, steal getter, and was the key to their press defense!

So I think his game is exactly what we look for. With a year learning the zone and getting stronger, I think he'll be a force from day one. No project here.

I think Hughes will really surprise. I could see his career following that of a Wes Johnson. Come to the program, improve tremendously over one season, then come out and shock people.

As to him coming off the bench I have no idea but heres what I'll speculate, JB loves having guys that can provide offense off the bench and a spark. With his length and quickness, Hughes will provide a spark in the zone regardless at guard or forward. And as we've seen in the past with a guy like Dion and Kris Joseph who can get their own shot, JB loves them off the bench. Hughes, based on highlights as a freshman has the ability to create his own shot.

I don't agree with that at all. JB loves Hughes.
Interesting. If you had to wager a guess, would you predict a starting backcourt of Frank/EH or Carey/EH? I ask because you're most certainly a poster who's opinion I value a great deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom