AP / Coaches Polls (Sept 24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

AP / Coaches Polls (Sept 24)

Betting lines doesnt mean the team SHOULD do something (like win by 13), it shows what gets an average amount of funds on both sides for vegas.

And don’t be obtuse with the “drop in division” b.s. you know damn well that’s not what I, nor anyone else, means in this discussion. The point of a “zero in the loss column” is that if you can work through this conference with 0 losses on the season then your record ATS means nothing because you will be in the playoffs.
And if your record ATS isn’t good against lesser competition (and for the record ours is fine, I just see a missed opportunity for it to be better) there is no way anyone will believe we can hold that 0 in conference play, which impacts attendance, recruiting, TV time, ranking, which can benefit from perception early season… We still need to prove it on the field, but every bit helps and we can’t afford or easily overcome any negative perception in the way Clemson or Bama or ND can.

I am asking: doesn’t our SOS go down if a team we just played gets an additional loss.
Hard for our SOS to go down much more. We’re almost at the bottom of D1 teams. Everyone we play has a better SOS and is higher ranked than our opponents to date so we will gradually go up.

Betting lines doesnt mean the team SHOULD do something (like win by 13), it shows what gets an average amount of funds on both sides for vegas.

And don’t be obtuse with the “drop in division” b.s. you know damn well that’s not what I, nor anyone else, means in this discussion. The point of a “zero in the loss column” is that if you can work through this conference with 0 losses on the season then your record ATS means nothing because you will be in the playoffs.
The bolded is very much not the case but I agree a line doesn't necessarily tell you how a team should perform. Maybe set expectations for performance but should isn't the right word to use.

And if your record ATS isn’t good against lesser competition (and for the record ours is fine, I just see a missed opportunity for it to be better) there is no way anyone will believe we can hold that 0 in conference play, which impacts attendance, recruiting, TV time, ranking, which can benefit from perception early season… We still need to prove it on the field, but every bit helps and we can’t afford or easily overcome any negative perception in the way Clemson or Bama or ND can.
This message is entirely nonsense…

The bolded is very much not the case but I agree a line doesn't necessarily tell you how a team should perform. Maybe set expectations for performance but should isn't the right word to use.
Please educate me because I always thought the odds goal was to make sure that Vegas makes out with their take regardless of the result

This message is entirely nonsense…
Yup. And you are a pleasant poster who is always open to the thoughts and opinions of fellow Syracuse fans.

Seems nonsense is all I post, huh?

Please educate me because I always thought the odds goal was to make sure that Vegas makes out with their take regardless of the result
Easiest example is if a split is say 80%/20% in a game but most of the big bettors/pros on the game are on that 20% side a book is happy with that split because long term those 20% sides will win more than those 80% sides. There are definitely some markets where a close to even split is what they want but in general it's a common misconception.

We're still behind Colorado which is mind-boggling to me.
Why? 2 P5 wins. One was ranked 17th. We beat a service academy, a bad 1AA, a directional Michigan team that lost to Toledo by 18, and perhaps what will end up being one of the worst P5 teams this year.
I'm not saying Colorado is killing it, but c'mon. Our s.o.s through 4 games is 119th. Colorado's is 4th.

Yup. And you are a pleasant poster who is always open to the thoughts and opinions of fellow Syracuse fans.

Seems nonsense is all I post, huh?
I’m open to opinions that make sense and aren’t based in a make believe world where Syracuse is held to higher standard than every other sporting team in the country.

I’m open to opinions that make sense and aren’t based in a make believe world where Syracuse is held to higher standard than every other sporting team in the country.
Unfortunately it’s not make believe, and in so many cases it’s a standard established by our own media alumni, but we can overcome it. I am not asking or condoning running up the score, but then we cannot afford to give up garbage time TDs until we are re-established as a winning program and not the 7-6 team from last season. Perception more than performance has Colorado on every pregame show and in the mind of every recruit. We could use some positive media attention too.

100% agree. No reason for them and Kansas to have so many votes and cuse to have nothing. Fresnos best win is Syracuses best win but only by 3
Sorry. I will end this here, but I missed this post right after my post, which you called nonsense. How do you say this about Fresno State, media or coaches votes, and polls but then come after me for saying we should not allow garbage points and win by more (beat the spread) in order to perform better in the polls!? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I fully agree. I just want to reduce the opportunity for others to doubt the legitimacy of our early season success. Army won the Lambert in 2018 and 2020. Our last Lambert was 1992. These are opportunities to change the way others see us. It may not matter in a grand scheme (we still need to do damage in the ACC and IMO especially in the next three games, where we need to take one and can/should take two) but every little bit helps. Leave no meat on the bone.
All due respect to the troops, Army winning the Lambert in 2018 was ABSOLUTE BULLSHYD.

I just realized listening to Brent Axe's and Emily Leikers postgame show that Emily is an AP voter...she made it seem very clear that even a win vs Clemson may not be "enough" to sway voters. I took it as that being true for herself as well...Can't even get the hometown reporter on board

Why? 2 P5 wins. One was ranked 17th. We beat a service academy, a bad 1AA, a directional Michigan team that lost to Toledo by 18, and perhaps what will end up being one of the worst P5 teams this year.
I'm not saying Colorado is killing it, but c'mon. Our s.o.s through 4 games is 119th. Colorado's is 4th.
Colorado beat an atrocious Nebraska team, an even worse CSU team and a good TCU Team (in week 1). Then got embarrassed by Oregon in every facet. Context matters.

I just realized listening to Brent Axe's and Emily Leikers postgame show that Emily is an AP voter...she made it seem very clear that even a win vs Clemson may not be "enough" to sway voters. I took it as that being true for herself as well...Can't even get the hometown reporter on board
Yes it looks like she is one. She graduated from Mizzou, so I wouldn't expect any favorable treatment from her. Her vote is very odd with Penn State at 3, Texas at 6, Utah at 16, UCLA at 21 and Colorado at 24.

Is this a pre-crime, like in Minority Report?

Colorado beat an atrocious Nebraska team, an even worse CSU team and a good TCU Team (in week 1). Then got embarrassed by Oregon in every facet. Context matters.
Right...context matters. We've played the 119th strength of schedule. Theirs was 4th.
It was in response to the poster being flabbergasted that Colorado could be ahead of us. I just don't see how that's shocking all things considered.

Sagarin rankings of our opponents, ACC teams, Northeastern teams:

5. Penn State
11. Notre Dame
15. FSU
21. UNC
22. Clemson
23. Miami
28. Maryland
29. Louisville
32. Duke
34. Cuse
41. WV
42. SMU
50. Cal
54. Rutgers
58. Pitt
60. NC State (of course they stink when we don't play them)
65. Marshall
75. Purdue
77. Wake
78. GA Tech
84. Army
86. VA Tech
92. BC
102. Stanford
105. UVA
107. Navy
118. Buffalo
126. WMU
128. Temple
154. UConn
185. UMass
241. Colgate

We still have to play #22, at #21, at #15 who are ahead of us and at #86, #92, vs #58, at #78, #77 who are behind us. If we don't lose to a team outside of the Top 75 we will have 8 Ws. This really is a favorable schedule this year.

Colorado is 72nd BTW. Highest FCS is South Dakota State at 46th. Lowest FBS is UMass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom